Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/12/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Nassarius snails

At the last frag swap, there was a woman and her husband selling frags. They said that they had nassarius snails breeding in their tank. I left my name and number with them and was wondering what their user name is online.
thanks
Old 09/13/2007, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

That's me.

Funny that I saw your post just now. I just wrote Clown-n-around to find out who was out here from Project Dibs. I sent him home with 10 to see if he could get them large enough to reproduce.

As for my babies, all are small. Darn wrasses, hermits, & possibly even the parents of the babies, seem to keep any from getting big enough to sell (ie. 1/2" - 1/2" or better always end up as a hermit home). I was hoping that the refugium would protect them so they could grow up, however, the parent snails have been banned to the refugium. I am unsure as to whether they attack and eat their own. Sometime I forget to feed the refugium and wonder if they eat the babies; I know of no other predators down there. The two of them can eat a large table shrimp in one night! I banned them to the refugium as they have and will attack a STRESSED clam; healthy clams need now worry. Within the first 24 hours of adding a clam to my tank, the parents, never the babies, have attacked and killed them. I lost three clams before I moved them down. They still are reproducing down there & seem happy.

Anyway, that is why I haven't contacted anyone. If you have a protected environment, send me a PM and we'll get together. Or, if your going to be at the 9/30 meeting at 2pm, we can do an exchange then (PM me anyway and let me know). I am fragging a Rose Bubble Tip, I hope to see you there.

Terri & John
Old 09/13/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

hey id like some too!!!!

im on the brink of setting up a 5 gal frag tank. those guys would be perfect!!
Old 09/13/2007, 01:15 PM
Old Man

They breed naturally in my main tank but I have no idea how I woudl go about catchgin them the only time I can even see them is after the lights go out late at night when my sand just crawls. That and most of them are still pretty small think I only started with 4 of them in 480.
Old 09/13/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

Project DIBS is run by Brian Plankis and he just saw some babies from the nassarius that you gave him.
I plan on putting them into my refugium or my 30 gal, although I think they would be pretty safe in my 200g because I have less than 10 hermits in the tank.
I'm definitely hoping to make the meeting
Old 09/14/2007, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

I feel like such a proud grandma. As for catching them, I always have food left over that sits on the sand. They come up and clean it up. They seem to sense my presence, as when I try to catch them by hand or tongs, they all suddenly disappear. A better method would be to scoop up a bunch of sand using a net, the sand can sift through the net & they should be left behind. By the way, I only started with three. Guess I was lucky to get a male & female mix.