Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/12/2007, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

New Lfs comin

A couple of guys are puttin this store together and I have a feeling it will the best lookin one around. Just to give some insite on it it will be lit by only solaris! and those tubs that marine warehouse has there corals in well they have like 14 of those. all lit by solaris. there will also be a crazy amount of gallons devoted for fish. just thought i would let you all know

-Tim
Old 09/12/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

lit by solaris only,why would they do that?way too much money and not really proven long term.i guess the real questions are when and where?
Old 09/12/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

yup when and were?

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 09/12/2007, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

um hopefully beginig of november and on tampa road
Old 09/12/2007, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Whats a solaris? Is that the tube that brings in light from the roof? And where is store?
Old 09/12/2007, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

solaris-http://www.pfolighting.com/AqDefault.aspx
Old 09/12/2007, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

why wouldnt they do that when u enter the store your jaw is goin to drop to the floor
Old 09/12/2007, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

lit only by solaris........ probably cuz stores don't plan on long term success. they wanna move it and solaris will definitely help move it.

John at FAOIS go one in for a customer and set it up to test and everything popped like never before.

Combine that with potential long term energy and bulb savings, a deal if they bought a lot of units, claimed to intend to push the unit, and who knows they might have found an economical light source.
Old 09/12/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

why wouldnt they plan on long term success the units are proven for like 12 yrs. i think that alone is savin them monye then replacing a halide bulb avery 6 months
Old 09/12/2007, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Sounds good! Costs lots! I want to see one, and see someone with long term use. It might save in bulb replacement and in energy savings from the bulb lighting and from less A/C using.
Old 09/12/2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

I guess that it will be like everything, soon there will be other makers, and do it yourselfers, and they will come down.
Old 09/12/2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

well the man building it got a solaris a couple of years ago to test it out for this store and he is in love with it had nothng but succes. he also said his chiller never comes on.(this is a 265g tank) fully sps
Old 09/12/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

by long term success, i am referring to coral growth. no local fish store wants to grow coral forever in their store. i'm saying this is a moot point because, solaris will help sell coral because of the great color response customers will see when they go shopping.

HOWEVER, it will not look quite as aesthetically pleasing to the eye unless the customer owns a SOLARIS.

AND they have not been on the market long enough to demonstrate long term success with husbandry.

HOPE that CLARIFIED that for YOU.
Old 09/12/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

At SRC we had a great presentation about the current technology LED lights. Long story short was that there was no energy savings.

when you factor in the unit costs, VS the lower unit costs of halide, even with bulb changes, there were no savings to be had until you had the unit a long time. At the point where you start to break even you are getting to the point where you are losing output from the LEDs.

That being said, there is a good amount new technology just around the corner, in the next 24 months we may see LED actually fulfill more of the benefits we are hoping for.

I Brake for FRAGS!
Tampa Bay Reef Club
Old 09/12/2007, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

There's a new LED that is just about to hit the streets that has 11 times the output with only a fraction of a watt increase in power consumption.. This new LED will probably be the ticket to putting LED's on the same plane as Halides..

Also, if you really think about it, Halides aren't *that* cheap if you're a consumer who doesn't want to retro-fit.. A *quality* MH fixture with supplimental lights and moon lights, and a controller to simulate the same conditions as the Solaris can... Well, do they even MAKE one of those?

Solaris will get cheaper. Just like anything else.. When they get into the $1000 range, I'll be ready to buy one.. Honestly, I think it's the best thing to happen to the hobby in a while..

Aaron
Old 09/12/2007, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Best thing since the needle wheel

In a few years, we will all be running LED... but alas, no shimmer lines in the tank :-)

I Brake for FRAGS!
Tampa Bay Reef Club
Old 09/12/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

why tampa road? that sounds awfully close to FAOIS... why dont stores spread out. wouldnt there be less competition?
Old 09/12/2007, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

LOL... Yea, North Dale Mabry could use a GOOD Store.

Hey Jon, FAOIS North?????

I Brake for FRAGS!
Tampa Bay Reef Club
Old 09/12/2007, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

how bout st. pete? i hate driving to marine warehouse, but it's the only place to buy live stock.
Old 09/12/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Unda, if you're driving that far, why not drive 5-10 more mins and buy at FAOIS??

Better fish, and CERTAINLY better place..
Old 09/12/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

There's a rumour going around that there's a guy that's got a beef with FAOIS that's been trying to drum up support for a new "better" place for a while.. His plan was to locate it very close to FAOIS..

No idea if this is him, but it wouldn't surprise me..
Old 09/12/2007, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

Solaris Review

Here is a review of the Solaris lights.......seems to be pretty good. Maybe someone will buy me one for Christmas!! I need the 48" please.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/8/review2
Old 09/12/2007, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by unda_da_see
how bout st. pete? i hate driving to marine warehouse, but it's the only place to buy live stock.
I dont even go to marine warehouse anymore. Is only like 15 mins away from me. Would rather just go to FAOIS to get my live stock. Always has what I want and always looks much better then any other store I have found. Even marine warehouse.

Hehe wish John would open a second store over here.

Holla!
Old 09/12/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

haven't been to FAOIS yet but have heard nothing but good things about his shop.
Old 09/12/2007, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

If the dude is opening a store in between marine warehouse and faois, he will never make it. People will be excited for maybe 6 months and then he will go down the drain. But hey, all the power to him. Good freakin luck. haha