Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/10/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Advice...120g in Millwaukee...

Hey all...before I pull the trigger on this...could you old "Salty Dogs" (hehe...after 25 years in the Navy...I love that term!) take a look at this set up and tell me if this would be an OK set up at an agreed price $700...or if I should pass...I will be 1/2 way to Millwaukee on a business meeting on Wednesday and Thursday and figured if it was worth it if I could pick it up on Friday...

Anyway...here is the link...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1194712

some pics are in his gallery...

Thanks for any advice you all have!

Greg

Last edited by glalderman; 09/10/2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09/10/2007, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

Go big or go home =)

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

I bet you could talk this guy down to $700, looks like he wants it gone if you can find someplace for this tank.
Old 09/10/2007, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

Seems good to me, depending on the condition of the tank and stand/canopy. I'm kinda anal retentive, so I'd pay a little extra for unscratched/pristine new equipment. Don't care about how it looks if it's in my sump or in the tank, since corraline covers all after a while.

New I think the tank and stand alone is $650.
Old 09/10/2007, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

I'm not so sure about the skimmer, seems kinda weak, should have a NW-200 for that size tank and sump.
Old 09/10/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

too big!..the standard 120g is about max for me right now! But...like we talked about last weekend...who knows when I build in the next year or so...maybe a dedicated reef room will be included...hopefully something around the size of Ben's...
Old 09/10/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

For the whole setup, that is a good price. It's not the deal of the century or anything, but it is a good deal.
Old 09/10/2007, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Hmmmm....another wrench in the works...just got off the phone with solo99...only 80 miles away from me instead of 500...and a deal I pretty much can't refuse (aninjaatemyshoe
...actually might be the deal of the century! )...getting pictures from him later tonight and then I will stop by to check it out on Thursday after my meetings...

little PO'ed at the guy in Millwaukee...after telling him I could come out on Friday...well, that didn't work for him...OK...I understand...no biggy, but give me a day that would work, which was next Friday the 21st, OK..that will work for me...but then I go to his thread and he has a new post saying "still available" I ask him what is up with that...He straight out tells me "sorry if I offended you but I only have 3 weeks before I start night school again and little time to deal with buyer"...and that if he could sell it closer to Millwaukee and it could be picked up this weekend...then he would sell it to that person!!!

So I don't feel bad or guilty if I buy Solo99's with a lot more stuff...including chiller, etc and MUCH closer!

Thanks for the advice everyone! Anyone seen Solo99's tank? It sounds almost too good to be true...but he sounds like a very honest person on the phone...plus he is a former Marine...BIG bonus points for this old Sailor...

Last edited by glalderman; 09/10/2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09/10/2007, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

uh.... former Once a Marine always a Marine. Sounds like you found yourself a sweet deal.
Old 09/10/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Yep...always been told...there is not such thing as an "ex" marine...but "former" was an OK term... Never really met a Marine I didn't like...worked with a CWO5 (one of the handful in the Marines) In DC the last few years before I retired...man did he have some stories! He was just plain scary looking...my age (45) and still had that perfect "V" shape...also worked with a COL (Pilot type) that was the same way...the dude still had a 32" waist! Made me sick...