Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Reef Keepers of Myrtle Beach
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/03/2007, 05:48 AM
Registered Member

Question Chillers

Guys, got a question for you all with chillers.

Why do you run them if your tank doesn't exceed the max temp during the day? I only ask because $700 to $1000 for a chiller to keep your tank at a constant temp seems like a waste to me...

Check out the article from Reef Central I posted below...

In most instances, trying to match the natural environment in a reef aquarium is a worthy goal. Temperature may, however, be a parameter that requires accounting for the practical considerations of a small closed system. Looking to the ocean as a guide for setting temperatures in reef aquaria may present complications, because corals grow in such a wide range of temperatures. Nevertheless, Ron Shimek has shown in a previous article that the greatest variety of corals are found in water whose average temperature is about 83-86° F.
Old 09/03/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Blake- I'm not doubting that I could keep a tank without a chiller. I did for many years. BUT... IMO to keep SPS you must keep parameters as constant as possible. This includes temperature.

Anyway, when I didn't have a chiller, I was reaching temperatures around 85 degrees.

As far as the price, I didn't pay half of what you mentioned above. I did buy mine used but...
When you start loosing corals because your temp is too high, you will invest in a chiller!

Here is the one I have.

http://www.toofishy.com/product.php?...cat=770&page=1

Rick
Old 09/04/2007, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Well, my tank's temp shifts from 80 to 84 or 85 daily. The colors might be better with a chiller and the growth might be also. But man, I don't need anymore growth!!!

Maybe Christmas present to myself of something.....
Old 09/04/2007, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

its not the hight temps that is the problem its the swing fron 80-85 that will do harm. most reefs will stay pretty constant day to day.
Old 09/04/2007, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

Blake.. I disagree you may not think you need more growth, but I assure you, that you do... especially when i start stealing stuff you have

Ps..> We need to start a new thread with tank shots. I would love to see what everyones tanks look like these days

derek
Old 09/04/2007, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

to see our tanks you have to come to the meetings.
Old 09/04/2007, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

I am a big believer in chillers in regards to sps only. I don't think they make much difference when it comes to anything else. When you consider that a bleaching event in the wild can be triggered by a shift in two or three degrees it makes you realize how sensitive these guys can be. It seems to help with stress induced bleaching and also seems to cut down on rtn and stn.
Old 09/04/2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

yesi agrethe more constant the temp the lessstess on animals anto see that tanks i think you should come to the meetings noob ha ha ha
Old 09/05/2007, 07:52 AM
Premium Member

Stephen you should not post here while you are high... lol is any of that english?
Old 09/11/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

no the damn space bar doesnt catch sometimes sorry for the mishap
Old 09/28/2007, 07:48 AM
Premium Member

Blake, Sorry for the late reply here. I hope you didn't go buy a chiller. My tank would get up to 83-84* right before the mhs cut off. I didn't have the cash (or desire to spend it) on a chiller. I got a heater instead Its funny, but I got a heater and set it at 82*. I got great color and decent growth from my 84* tank with most all of my SPS.

Heres the last known pic of my tank Its sad to see it, but it proves high tempos defiantly aren't detrimental to some corals, and that tank flourishes with invert life like no other I've ever kept.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...9-19031_PB.jpg

BTW, I based my heater purchase on a lot of Shimeks articles/posts/books.
Old 09/29/2007, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

Wow Man. Looked good. I am sorry I never got to see it in person...
Old 10/01/2007, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

Youll get to see the next one