Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/31/2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

Want to start a new tank, which tank should I get

I have been drawing up plans for a new tank. I've settled on a 72x24x31 inch tank in starphire glass (three sides). I'm not sure which tank to go with yet. My old tank had lots of bracing on top and I hated that. I would like a rimless tank but then I understand I would need much thicker glass, which I am not keen on either. I have seen steel rimmed tanks and it seems to me this would allow a person to avoid having to get thicker glass, while at the same time eleminating the need for all the bracing? Is this true? If it is true where do you get such a tank (I live in Pennsylvania)? What would be the expense?
Also, I have seen tanks with the PVC bottoms (and even backs) and those look great to me. Does anyone have anyone have recommendations or comments on a 72x24x31 inch steel rimmed tank with a PVC bottom? Thanks, Thorsen
Old 09/01/2007, 02:47 AM
Premium Member

Can you bond PVC to glass??? Also steel will rust from the salt. I don't think it would be a good idea...
Old 09/01/2007, 07:09 AM
Premium Member

My last tank was a custom 260 made by Oceanic that had a stainless steel powder coated eurobrace that worked out very well. I liked it better than my current eurobracing. I personally feel that Oceanic tanks were always top of the line but that was 3-4 years ago. I know they got bought out by AGA since then. Only down side was the price tag. Might check into them to see if they can help you out.
Old 09/01/2007, 09:04 AM
Premium Member

check out these people for glass/acrylic tanks, several here on RC have used them with great success, I'm also considering them for my next tank

http://www.acrylicandglassexhibits.com/
Old 09/01/2007, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

I like the 72" length you’re considering but if you can go wider 30” plus, go for it. I would try and limit your height to less than 30”. The cost of ½” starphire glass versus Ύ” starphire glass I think is about half the cost. If you’re going to go with ½” at 30” height you will need to have eurobracing and Ύ” at 30” height, you can go rimless and braceless.

Personally I would considered 72” x 30” x 24” = 225 gallons because your stand or cabinet should be about 35” high.

A.G.E is the only company as of right now that does acrylic to glass to pvc aquariums but they're the top end in aquarium manufacturing and you get what you pay for.
Old 09/02/2007, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10680392#post10680392 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tom obrecht
My last tank was a custom 260 made by Oceanic that had a stainless steel powder coated eurobrace that worked out very well. I liked it better than my current eurobracing. I personally feel that Oceanic tanks were always top of the line but that was 3-4 years ago. I know they got bought out by AGA since then. Only down side was the price tag. Might check into them to see if they can help you out.
Deep Sea Aquatics is the name of a company started by some of the custom tank makers from Oceanic. When Oceanic moved up north out of Dallas as part of the All Glass buy out these guys stepped away and took the same skills they had with Oceanic and started Deep Sea Aquatics. I just bought a 295 from them and it is awesome. Wonderful workmanship and an awesome warranty. 7 yrs and they cover any damage to your house as well. I got the stainless steel frame and it should never leak.
Old 09/02/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

Oh forgot to add. Above all you get what you pay for. I have seen people go cheap and get something like Glasscages then only to have poor workmanship and quality. It looks bad then it ends up cracking.
Old 09/02/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

A google search on Deep Sea Aquatics revealed nothing, do they have a website?