Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/01/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

How do I kill GSP?

My GSP has started to grow in a few places I don't want it. How can I kill it? I don't use Kalk.. and my LFS doesn't even carry it. Any other Ideas? I tried boiling water and a turkey baster all that does is burn me
Old 09/01/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

i seriously would like to have some, can you ship some out if i pay for shipping?

Albert Einstein
I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice.

Albert Einstein
I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.
Old 09/01/2007, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

use a razor to scrape it off and sell the frags or even give them away. It kills me when people kill corals, because although it's hard to believe people pay up to $30 for a frag of nice GSP ( or at least at my LFS they do)
Old 09/01/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Don't kill it. I'll take some.

I'm broke!
Old 09/01/2007, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

If GSP just very easily peeled off rocks I doubt you'd ever see a thread on how to get rid of it. I don't think that the people who say send me your GSP frags understand the problem. The problem isn't just that it grows like a weed but that it is very difficult to peel off in anything but very tiny little bits. Seldom do you ever get a piece large enough to glue to anything. I've spent hours scraping rocks with my finger nails ony to have it all grow back in just a few weeks. I hate the stuff and wouldn't wish it on an enemy. Short of tearing the tank apart and getting rid of every rock with GSP on it, I don't think I'll ever be rid of it. I'm thinking of trying to get a dental tool, like the kind they use to clean your teeth to see if it will make it any easier to scrape off. As for the brilliant wavey green that people seem to like, I get the same effect with a frilly or is it hairy mushroom and they are alot easier to control.
Old 09/02/2007, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

Its not easy to peel off and its very irritating.. I had 2 rocks that had alot on them and I took them out and boiled them to get rid of it. Where it has moved to and not really grown full size yet its base is very thin which means it wont peel it just falls apart. My rock is very pourous and it just comes back. I'm not killing the mother colony just where its spreading... I'm in Canada guys by the time you pay for shipping you could have bought some locally.
Old 09/02/2007, 08:17 AM
nucleosynthesis baby!

I peeled off what I could and then used an old toothbrush and scrubbed the heck out of the area that still had a few pieces of the "mat" left. You probably wont get 100% of the GSP, but you can repeat once the survivors show back up.