Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/21/2007, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

hahnmeister,

Since you seem to be the expert on everything, can you answer my question on the 8/18 /07 about skimmers!!!
Old 08/22/2007, 01:10 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Oh, gosh... Im sure a few people would totally disagree with that statement. Sorry I overlooked yourpost. This thread wasnt intended to cover that topic at the time, but now that it has diverged...

Quote:
Originally posted by RoBolton
hahnmeister,

What do you look for in a skimmer - size, efficiency, pump or pumps and contact time in the chamber?

I really do not know any more after looking at ATI, BK, Deltec, Korallen Zucht and H&S!!!
I look at interface... the amount of air, and amount of water, and I hope that the water and air arent just both going the same direction (I prefer counter-current), since then the bubbles dont get a chance to interface with much water. The duration of the interface, the turbulence that could disrupt it.

Or, as I type that... now I realize you may have been asking a different question...lol. I like recirculating skimmers... larger pumps in a smaller area, so it means more air working with the volume of water. Some single-pass skimmers have very low water throughput rates compared to the air throughput, but the tradeoff is that they are often still co-current designs, and the water doesnt get to interact with as much air as with a counter-current design.

I like tall skimmers, but realize that this isnt ideal for most needlewheels. The cone shape bodies do allow for a taller skimmer with a relatively low water level, but I still like even taller (I like 4-6' tall). The best self-fed needlewheels on the market are short and fat though, with large pumps. This requires very fat cyclinders for turbulence reduction, either a BK or a Euroreef recirc 750 or 1000. Really, 2000lph of air could be just fine in an 8" diameter skimmer body... its all the water turbulence from the pump(s) though that is the problem, and having to deal with it in such a short distance, that makes bubble plates the best solution (so far). Height alone will also reduce turbulence, but works against the efficiency of the needlewheel pumps. With a bubble plate, or diffuser mechanism of some sort, the pump gets placed even lower on the skimmer than a traditional needlewheel (H&S or Deltec for example), so the skimmers get even shorter. Its like a vicious cycle where we will end up with the ideal skimmer being 12" tall, 18" in diameter, and with a pump that makes 3000lph of air with only 3000lph of water for 20watts, and have a 16" diameter bubble plate. That just doesnt seem appealing to me.

My ideal? A 5-6' tall skimmer, running a needlewheel at the very bottom... bubble plate? Sure... why not, but no matter. Then force feed the pump air from an Alita or GAST linear pump. This way, you can easily feed 2000+ lph of air into a 8" diameter body through a single pump, and because its just air turbulence, rather than if you used 4 eheim needlewheels to get that amount of air, the turbulence will be minimal. With all that air running through the pump, little to no water turbulence will be present... the water throughput being replaced by the pump just needing to chop up all those bubbles. You will have an 8" diameter column with 2000lph of air (feed the skimmer in a recirc manner for counter-current operation)... something that a BK 300 needs about 2x the are to deal with. The wattage will be minimal as well(An Alita is very low wattage), and the output very reliable. Thats my ideal skimmer. Smaller tank? Okay... then a 6" diameter with a 1000lph linear air pump. Larger? Okay, then a 12" diameter (or a 18" base cone) with 4000lph of air going through it.
Old 08/22/2007, 01:24 AM
Brother Maynard

hahn'ster...

i use a coralife sl-65 that does 65 liters per minute or 3900 liters per hour.

fosters smith has it on sale for $56. much cheaper than an alita 60 ($200+).

Ben.
Old 08/22/2007, 02:47 AM
Registered Member

Hahn

Have you done much testing with the force feeding of needlewheel or mesh mod pumps?

My experince is that the meshmod pump can take a lot more forced air than the std needlewheels.
However there appears to be a limiting factor on the amount of air that can be chopped up by the needlewheel - it easily cavitates and with the mesh mod - at some point air is just forced through the mesh faster than it can be chopped up.

As you indicated earlier the greater water pressure acting on a needlewheel pump in a taller skimmer also reduces the air input(which is why i guess many needlewheel skimmers tend to be short)
Increasing the amount of mesh made a difference to the temp that the pump ran at as well as increased noise.

With the total running costs of the number of needlewheel pumps used + the feed pump for a tall skimmer, i am wondering if the simple Beckett skimmer might just regain its popularity?
Old 08/22/2007, 03:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister

I take issue with Zeovit since I wasnt posting in a vendor forum (fragfarmer or korallen-zucht), I was posting in the skimmer forum. If Pohl wants to put it out there, and there is a 'revolution' thread in the general forums, then they should be prepared for the possibility of people being critical of the product since its not in a vendor forum.

The kicker is that there are a few vendors who saw me get banned as it happened. I predict Zeovit will have some sponsors walking away soon if it keeps this up. [/B]
Amen,

This is me and my company terminating our sponsor agreement with Zeovit at the end of the month for exactly this reason. Our advertising dollars are coming with us too. What a joke... mods, Klaus, Pohl, and Captive Oceans can promote what they want, where they want but if anyone else talks up another brand against theirs or asks too many questions its lights out. Yet they have the guts to say they left RC and started Zeovit.com because they were censored here?? I love the international aspect of Zeovit.com but they need to decide if they are going to be a Captive Oceans/KZ site or appeal to a broader group of products, manufacturers, and sponsors.
Old 08/22/2007, 09:23 AM
clownfish fan

the reasoning in that revolution thread over there, that they need to run dirty to work and that its ok if your 1300dollar skimmer doesnt start skimming for 3 days after cleaning. if i paid that money and my skimmer took longer than an hour to start skimming after cleaning id be angry.
and why is the moderator suggesting replacing the becket head with a different version i thought the skimmer worked better than the BK? sounds like the BK works better to me.
i cant understand it.
Old 08/22/2007, 10:36 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
Actually, I just discovered something. I wonder if Tunze patented that anti-overflow cup design they use in the new master DOC's. This skimmer uses the exact same design (it just looks different). That way, the skimmer doesnt need a twist-lok neck connection or an o-ring... just lift and remove.
http://tunze.com/fileadmin/downloads...rskimmeren.PDF

Apparently it is patented. I have one of these skimmers but I still dont understand what it is supposed to do.
Old 08/22/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honda2sk
http://tunze.com/fileadmin/downloads...rskimmeren.PDF

Apparently it is patented. I have one of these skimmers but I still dont understand what it is supposed to do.
Hahn,

You should check this out from the above pdf from tunze...

<
It can be observed that when air
bubbles are produced proteins are absorbed immediately. In
practice it can be observed that the absorbed matter is torn off the
air bubbles again by skimmers with a high construction. For this
reason, all TUNZE® DOC skimmers have very short reactors with
a high air output.

>>quote
Old 08/22/2007, 01:04 PM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by stony_corals
Hahn,

<
a high air output.

>>quote
Advertising propaganda!!

There is plenty of science out there that clearly says that SOME of the proteins we are trying to get rid of take quite a bit of tome to attach to the bubble. I'll concede that most of what we are trying to remove by skimming will attach almost immediately...but if that attraction is so strong that the DOC's will stick immediately, why would they then "tear off" if left on for too long? that makes no sense...if that were the case it would be impossible to skim dry!

It realy irks me when company's just make up something that sounds good just to sell their skimmers!!

Ask jnarowe how horribly his 6' tall skimmer works
Old 08/22/2007, 01:18 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by RoBolton
hahnmeister,

Since you seem to be the expert on everything, can you answer my question on the 8/18 /07 about skimmers!!!
thats a sweet watch in your avatar i was checking them out in vail last winter. do you own that watch.

they are french cant remember the name all hand milled.
Old 08/22/2007, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

I hear you... it's pretty logical that there'd be some variation in the strength of the bonds that the DOC form with the bubble.... Every manufacturer thinks its products are the best, and every reefer thinks his mods are the best. There are plenty of opinions to go around.
Old 08/22/2007, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

B.R.M. - The in my avatar is the R-50-TN, the one that I have is the V14-44.
Old 08/22/2007, 05:39 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by stony_corals
Hahn,

<
a high air output.

>>quote
Yeah, I dont know about that one either... seems like marketing propaganda to me. Sounds like they subscribe to the same idea that Oliver from ATI does... the whole 'bucket of nails' analogy with a magnet representing the bubble.

I wonder how they have 'observed' the absorded matter being torn off the air bubbles anyways.
Old 08/22/2007, 05:49 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by barrierreefcf
Amen,

This is me and my company terminating our sponsor agreement with Zeovit at the end of the month for exactly this reason. Our advertising dollars are coming with us too. What a joke... mods, Klaus, Pohl, and Captive Oceans can promote what they want, where they want but if anyone else talks up another brand against theirs or asks too many questions its lights out. Yet they have the guts to say they left RC and started Zeovit.com because they were censored here?? I love the international aspect of Zeovit.com but they need to decide if they are going to be a Captive Oceans/KZ site or appeal to a broader group of products, manufacturers, and sponsors.
Wow, add your company to the couple that I know are reconsidering their sponsorship of Zeovit.com as well. Thats some fallout for one person getting banned, eh? Well, I suppose its not just that, but the entire 'concept' thats causing the ruckus.

Well, I did try to sent PM's to the two mods after they censored my questions in the first place. I brought up the exact idea that I should be able to question the mfg, that I was doing so in a general forum, and that 'consumers have the right to know'. Then I got banned. Oh well... I have been reinstated. It seems that some mods are more gestapo, and others are the exact opposite. Too bad for the good ones that it may cost them sponsors.
Old 08/22/2007, 05:57 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by IanJ
Hahn

Have you done much testing with the force feeding of needlewheel or mesh mod pumps?

My experince is that the meshmod pump can take a lot more forced air than the std needlewheels.
However there appears to be a limiting factor on the amount of air that can be chopped up by the needlewheel - it easily cavitates and with the mesh mod - at some point air is just forced through the mesh faster than it can be chopped up.

As you indicated earlier the greater water pressure acting on a needlewheel pump in a taller skimmer also reduces the air input(which is why i guess many needlewheel skimmers tend to be short)
Increasing the amount of mesh made a difference to the temp that the pump ran at as well as increased noise.

With the total running costs of the number of needlewheel pumps used + the feed pump for a tall skimmer, i am wondering if the simple Beckett skimmer might just regain its popularity?
You are right... meshwheels can handle more air than a needlewheel. Force feeding an eheim needlewheel still chokes it out at about 1400-1500lph of air, or rather, causes it to start passing larger bubbles (its not cavitation though technically).

Another thing to consider with 'force-feeding' is that the venturi is no longer a passive element, and that the greater amount of air being introduced at this point can end up restricting the water intake of the pump too much. Force feeding is best done without a venturi... just a water and air inlet... so the pump can still get enough water.

A meshwheel eheim 1262 w/o a venturi can easily handle over 2000lph of air, chopping it into fine bubbles and pouring it out the other end like shaving cream... so little turbulence that a bubble plate isnt even really needed. The only benefit of the bubble plate on such a tall, force fed skimmer would be if it was an ATI-like design, because then the bubbles would start from the bottom of the skimmer. A readitional needlewheel design with a downward facing elbow wouldnt even work... so the bottom 6-10" of the skimmer would be wasted. But the bubble plate is no longer a turbulence reducer in this use... You could just have a bottom pump input and a central tube... like the smaller H&S or AquaMedics, of the Fauna Marin Ultraskims.
Old 08/22/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by barrierreefcf
Amen,

Klaus, Pohl, and Captive Oceans can promote what they want, where they want but if anyone else talks up another brand against theirs or asks too many questions its lights out.
not the truth......
the Zeovit.com-Mods delete my postings.... so we have now a sponsor-Forum in zeovit.com....

@IanJ
PHP Code:
My experince is that the meshmod pump can take a lot more forced air than the std needlewheels
..you have testing a Needlewheel from PTFE ( Teflon) ?

regards... Klaus
Old 08/22/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

Klaus

My experiece is only with OR3500 with both mesh mod and Aquamedic needle wheel.
Old 08/22/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus Jansen
not the truth......
the Zeovit.com-Mods delete my postings.... so we have now a sponsor-Forum in zeovit.com....

@IanJ
PHP Code:
My experince is that the meshmod pump can take a lot more forced air than the std needlewheels
..you have testing a Needlewheel from PTFE ( Teflon) ?

regards... Klaus
Yes I have seen that KZ and RE now have sponsors forums and no doubt some of your posts have been deleted but not as frequently as some of the rest of us. My complaint is that there are looser reigns for some, compared to others. If we (sponsors, mods, manufacturers, or anyone other than hobbyists) were all strictly limited to sponsors sections or given the same amount of freedom in the general forums it would be better. They just need to decide. Otherwise its pretty obvious some get preferential treatment and more leeway. Enough about this though...back to the meister's topic.
Old 08/23/2007, 08:42 AM
g l a s s b o x

preferential? perhaps... the way it is said also helps too. there is suggesting, and then there is pushing.

jmo.

any updates on the skimmers from taiwan?

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 09/09/2007, 01:33 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Well, back on this thread. It seems KZ is already threatening to sue ATB if they export their skimmers to the US. The crazy thing is... maybe that German patent also covers US, but then wouldnt an english version be needed, even for the DE patent office? As of yet, I havent seen a US patent. not so long ago, on this thread, Pohl claimed to have no problem with ATB:
http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthr...t=9231&page=20

"@Hanhnmeisterz,
sorry but:
1. ATB is a friend of mine and take the conical shape to his skimmer one jear later as in our skimmer, we make the first 2005, he make the first in the end of 2006. He make only a small buisness in Austria and we have no problem with him.
2. We have no bekett in our skimmer."

Yet now, it seems KZ does have a problem with Anton and ATB despite previous claims.

How long before KZ tries to shut down every other beckett skimmer made in the US then?

Even if they just enforce the 'cone design'... how? Every skimmer on the market uses a cone design at one point or another in the body. ATB skimmers use a cone from the very bottom up to the neck. KZ'z use one that starts a few inches from the bottom up to the neck. Bubblekings, ATI's, Deltecs, Octopus, AquaEuros... they all use cones as well.... instread of being 18" tall, they are only 2 or 3" tall, to serve as reducers from the body to the neck. They all serve the same purpose... just some work better than others. If I take a 8" base, 4" neck, 18" tall cone and put it on top of a 36" tall, 8" diameter cylinder, I think I have proven my point. I could see a design patent on this, but not a utility. Of course it would make sense for KZ to have a design patent... with specific model info so nobody could make an exact copy of their skimmers like how Octopus makes copies of the CPR bakpak. But a general utility patent on a cone shape skimmer? Come on... so does that mean Klaus's new Supermarine is going to be restricted as well?

My advice for KZ would be to drop it. If they dont want ATB to use the cone shape, then they should provide ATB with specs of what would be an alright cone shape design (unless ALL cones are their patent now, in which case... watch out everyone!). If all ATB has to do is move the cone transition up a couple inches, or down a couple... then ATB has options. Otherwise, provide a US patent number! And even at that, KZ may end up going to court and losing their patent... much like when SLS tried to go after Icecap.
Old 09/09/2007, 01:38 PM
clownfish fan

Absurd
Old 09/09/2007, 01:49 PM
g l a s s b o x

smart of anton to develop the pyramid skimmer for the time being. i hope this goes smoothly...we dont need a skimmer feud between two companies with great products.

jmo.

eric

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 09/09/2007, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

I came home to this!!!!

Old 09/09/2007, 02:50 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Paulairduck, Im glad its working out for you. If you see the direction this thread has taken, it has little to do with the actual performance of the skimmer.
Old 09/09/2007, 02:52 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulairduck
I came home to this!!!!

always nice to know its in the collection cup and not the tank

i think we all agree their skimmers work.