Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/17/2007, 09:56 PM
Premium Member

I can hop in here. I'm a research assistant in a plant genetics lab, I graduated last year with a BS in Biology and I'm beginning a PhD in Plant Biology (studying the zooxanthellae of corals) next month. To make things clear that's 4 years of college, 1 1/2 years of laboratory jobs and 5-6 years of graduate school for a PhD, then probably 1-3 more years of postdoctoral work before gaining an academic position, if I'm lucky. Lab jobs generally don't pay well, but if you do well academically you can make decent money while doing things that are interesting and worthwhile. As a graduate student I'll be making 20K a year... not a lot, but I can certainly live on it. I figure that I don't make a lot of money but I get to do what I love (science and ecology) and spend a fair amount of my time going to tropical places that most people work horrible hours at horrible jobs with/for horrible people (my friends in banking/finance make 2-3 times what I do but hate their jobs) to afford. Those jobs that require a MS or (more likely) a PhD actually do pay pretty well, especially university professorships after the first few years. A bachelor's degree in the hard sciences is actually not very useful on its own as it is not sufficient for most jobs in the sciences. A Master's degree is great for people that plan to focus on a specific technique or piece of equipment, for example running an electron microscope or gene sequencer or something like that. PhD's are required for researchers, professors, scientists and the like.
Old 07/19/2007, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

I started out as a Marine Biology major and changed my mind after two years. I got myself an internship at MOTE Marine Laboratory in Sarasota, Florida and loved it. However, I found that all the people I worked with were broke!! I was working on reef fish biology relating to swim bladder damage resulting from deep sea capture of size restricted species. I got to go fishing every day, do hyperbaric experiments, and work with some fantastic people, but it wasnt for me. I changed my program plans to medical and graduated with a BS in Biology with specialization in microbiology and a BS in Chemistry. I'm now an internationally published neurology researcher working on traumatic brain injury and planning on starting an MD/PhD next year.

You should seriously check out MOTE (www.mote.org) and apply for their internship opportunities! They are the National Shark Research Institute and have 20 some different programs ranging from red tide to red snapper and marine mammals to mariculture. DO IT!!
Old 07/20/2007, 04:39 AM
Registered Member

Hah, all of this almost-negativity, makes me almost not want to say that in about a month I'll be starting the 8-10 years that it will probably take to go from incoming college freshman to PhD.

But it is nice to hear from all the people who do it for love rather than money, and that's definitely my case. I'd much rather spend the next 20 or 30 plus years doing something I love instead of dreading work and trying to find escapes from what I've gotten myself into.

But I will say that it's nice to hear that the PhD's make ok/good money, it means the home aquarium(s) can be that much bigger

Right now my envisioned career is something like:

College with internships -> PhD -> Work in a lab -> University Professor

Y'know, start low and work my way up over the years.

My only two concerns are dealing with college loans and having time for a family.
Old 07/20/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Try to minimize you loans. State schools are great nowadays and very affordable. I went to private school for undergrad and racked up a small fortune in student loans. Half my classmates in grad school went to state schools from much less. If I could do it over again, I would have gone to a state school, graduated higher in my class, and ended up in the same place with several 10's of thousands or dollars less in loans. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07/20/2007, 03:20 PM
Mouth Pipetting

Quote:
Originally posted by Toglco
College with internships -> PhD -> Work in a lab -> University Professor
I don't remember the exact number, but (I think) only ~20% of PhDs get academic positions as professors. And thats largely dependent upon your ability to write grants.

I'd recommend "college with internships" be changed to "college and working as student helper/independent research in a research lab".

I'd say that an average professor position pays between $65,000-80,000 a year, with Departmental Chairs potentially making up to $250,000 a year (i.e. thats about one in a hundred). And everything in between.
Old 07/20/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Ah, thanks. Don't have any dreams of being a chair at the moment, but who knows how things will shape up in 15 or 20 years, I'm sure all the people in those positions are very far along into their careers.
Old 07/20/2007, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

My advisor is a chair at UCSD and I don't think he is making a quater million a year. Anyways, I think the 65K-80K is what you should feel comfortable with if you are serious. Also remember, you won't make that until you are typically about 35-40 yo.
Old 07/21/2007, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

How about if I'm in my mid-30s and am not concerned about money? I have a high tech background (software development and system administration) and live in the SF Bay Area. I have done well without a degree but am now looking at going back into school. Technology has been my passion but I have done well in chemistry and biology courses. Finishing CS is a strong option, but think I might rather go through something that wouldn't be review to a large extent.
Old 07/24/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishbulb2
Try to minimize you loans. State schools are great nowadays and very affordable. I went to private school for undergrad and racked up a small fortune in student loans. Half my classmates in grad school went to state schools from much less. If I could do it over again, I would have gone to a state school, graduated higher in my class, and ended up in the same place with several 10's of thousands or dollars less in loans. Just my 2 cents.
Yes, without a doubt, use the state schools. Private schools are highly overrated, IMHO. Between the tuition cost of undergrad and then the financial stipends and support of grad school, I think I actually broke even after 8 years of college.

<º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><

Jeff
Old 07/25/2007, 09:19 AM
Mouth Pipetting

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishbulb2
My advisor is a chair at UCSD and I don't think he is making a quater million a year. Anyways, I think the 65K-80K is what you should feel comfortable with if you are serious. Also remember, you won't make that until you are typically about 35-40 yo.
Salaries at state schools are in the public domain, so you could find out if you wanted to know. Here at Univ. of Virginia, the student newspaper publishes faculty salaries every other year! The Chair of my department (Cell & Developmental Biology) is making >$250,000. Though, ~$150,000 is more common for most departmental chairs.
Old 07/25/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Glad to see the discussion.

I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to work as a marine biologist, and as a hiring manager for NOAA while I was transitioning into the Navy oceanography program.

From that experience, I can definately reiterate what others have said about the money aspect. Let's face it, being a marine biologist is really cool, and it's simply not necessary to offer a large salary to attract very qualified applicants. I think the most telling was an ENTRY level position I advertised for the coral reef conservation program at NOAA where I had hundreds of applicants, including a handful of PhD's. I think I advertised the job at the low $30k's.

In my experience, I'd suggest a) getting a degree in something other than plain 'marine biology'. There is a lot of things marine biologists need to be able to do, and it is easy to have a major in, say chemistry, and still work as a marine biologist. This will keep other options open. b) You'll definately want to look hard at getting an M.S. in marine biology or related field. This will barely keep you competitive. c) Get whatever experience you can. A couple of degrees aren't going to separate you from the pack.

Marine biology is an incredibly competitive field. There are far more people who want to do it than there are decent jobs available. If it's something you're passionate about, then if you pay your dues you can probably be successful at it eventually, but it my be a long, hard, poor road.

Finally, it's easy to say, "I don't care about money, I just want to do something I love." However, I would at least consider that life is going to be quite difficult without enough money when you have a family dependent on your paycheck.
Old 07/28/2007, 07:19 AM
Registered Member

This is all great. For one it seems Im on the right path.

Forgot to introduce myself, my name is Ben and since i can remember Ive been enthralled & frightened by the ocean. Also Im almost 19 and will be attending Texas State university this fall as a bio major... yay.

Anyways i too felt to try to be a marine biologist, however i did realize with a bio undergrad i could possibly pursue med school.. my mom being a nurse for years and years says i write illegibly like a doctor already.(yes one qualification in the bag). and i can always go back to school to simply learn.

But thanks for the information guys. I like to think money doesn't matter but we'll see if i can find a sugar momma too.... hehehe would be nice.
Med School
State School < Hmmmmm....
Marine Bio
Old 07/28/2007, 08:37 AM
10 & Over Club

For those of you thinking of the undergrad choices between straight bio and marine bio, a good marine bio program will give you just as much regular bio as a straight bio degree program. In some case more. So you even pursue a BS in Marine Bio as a Pre Med degree with maybe an extra course or two. It's not a degree that will close doors to other biology related careers, but will open the doors to both Marine Biology as well as other Biology related careers

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 07/28/2007, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

Ya I know I was prolly going still dabble in those cool classes anyways and i need to talk to an academic advisor first.... orientation on Mon...
Old 07/29/2007, 02:33 AM
Registered Member

Marine biology is not so bad. I work in a marine lab and I love it. You have to get a PhD and become a Professor to really benefit but it is worth it. My P.I. spends 2-3 months a year diving and collecting specimens in Australia, France, Italy, Hawaii, and various places in Indonesia. She spends her off time teaching classes, writing grant proposals, and having a good time. I must say from my perspective it is a dream job.
Old 07/29/2007, 05:39 AM
Registered Member

I have a BS in marine bio. After a few years of work experience in biotech I was offered a chief scientist position with a biotechnology company in Hawaii. The private companies are where all the good money is at. I wouldnt bother with trying to be a professor unless I just wanted to be surrounded by college babes the rest of my life. I think I got lucky with everything. Most will need a PHd to make a succesful living.
Old 08/19/2007, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

In the grand scheme of things, scientists are relatively under paid, under appreciated and over worked.
Well said......
But....if you do what you love you never "work" a day in your life...don't know where that quote is from, but it is mostly true, but sometimes even work you love is work.

The best advice is to actually get involved in the job that you envision for yourself, see what it takes and what they do day in and day out. You may find it to be great, you may not, but better now than 10 years down the road and 100K in debt!

Don't worry too much about the money, but be realistic it is not that easy to make a good living with a marine biology degree. It could be a perfect fit for you, it might not, but check it out and really research it (see above) before you commit. At least you are not set on a degree in Latin-American anglo saxon pyscologcal developement of dolts or some such non-marketable degree (Kidding here obviously)

I teach biology, zoology, chemistry and anatomy/physiology and enjoy it. I sometimes get to bring my love of marine biology into the classroom (especially in zoology, but in biology/chemistry too). I know marine biology classes in high schools are starting to be more and more common, and we all know the U.S. needs more good, passionate high school science teachers!
Just another thought
Old 08/19/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

My high school advisor said I shouldn't be a marine biologist, I'll never have a career with it. Can't write down my thoughts on that one...

Got my BS in Marine Science and went to work for the NY Aquarium in Brooklyn, NY.

Well I eventually cofounded my own public aquarium and have the largest all live coral reef dispaly 7 years running in this hemisphere.

Doing an internship at a public aquarium is a good way to find out what its really like.

Another option to the normal route of college is located at:
http://www.occc.cc.or.us/aquarium/index.html

There are plenty of great jobs in the marine bio field. It doesn't matter what career you choose, its what you do with that choice and not just settling for the norm.
Old 08/19/2007, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

I am looking into a career in Marine Bio. To start making any money at all, you first need a LOT of volunteer experience, and then a LOT of paid experience, and to get there, you are taking the nine an hour stuff......
Old 08/19/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

The thing is, you could call marine interests my passion, but am i willing to sacrafice my standard of living, to go into this field? Not being able to have a house the size i want it, the comforts that i could have with more money, and most of all THE HUGE TANK that i'd want. That i don't know yet. I still need to work out these things. Your posts have been very very insightful, and I thank all those who posted. Those who are marine biologists out there, i've got to tell you that you have my respect. You guys do so much, and i now realize, with very little benefit to yourself. Thank you for what you do. It's really great.

-tyler

Albert Einstein
I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice.

Albert Einstein
I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.
Old 08/19/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

If you work in the aquarium trade, or at a public aquarium, I can PROMISE you, you will not want that "HUGE TANK" at home...
Old 08/19/2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

If you work in the aquarium trade, or at a public aquarium, I can PROMISE you, you will not want that "HUGE TANK" at home...

VERY VERY TRUE!
Old 08/19/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

I have seen JustJoe aquarium on Long Island. Very impressive giant reef Tank!
Old 08/21/2007, 09:50 PM
Catch and release

It really all comes down to doing what you will be happy doing. I know it sounds cliche but it's very true. If it's what you wanted to do when you were ten it's probably still what you would be really happy doing.
Like others have said if money is the big issue being a marine biologist isn't the way to go. If it's being in the field and seeing what mother nature created for us, both good and bad, on a frequent basis then maybe it is.
If I wanted to make a ton of $ I would be learning to work on humans but that's not what I wanted to do when I was ten
Lots of good advice in this thread
good luck, Chris
Old 09/28/2007, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

There is now a pretty cool video about oceanography in general

enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjTbPtv88sI

Jens