Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/17/2007, 02:00 PM
Catch and release

If it were me the first thing I would try is feeding the fish a couple of times a day and skimming a little drier. I like to feed my fish though

Chris
Old 08/17/2007, 02:44 PM
OT Consigliere

Well I'm going to give it try and see what happens. What do like feeding your fish?

Thanks Chris !!
Mike
Old 08/17/2007, 03:26 PM
Catch and release

No problem

I feed mine mysis and enriched brine shrimp with a little Prime Reef thrown in every couple of days. I also feed half a sheet of Nori every 2 or 3 days in a lettuce clip. It all depends on what kind of fish you have. I have a bunch of plankton eaters(wrasses, dottybacks, clowns, anthias) with a tang thrown in.

Chris
Old 08/17/2007, 05:23 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by trueblackpercula
But who wants algea?
I think people forget that algae is abundant on the any reef in the world...There are so many fish that are dependent on it...Not sure why everyone absolutely hates algae, when it is part of the reef...
Old 08/17/2007, 06:38 PM
Sps Junkie

I have one very important question about not running a skimmer 24/7. I do in fact run mine non stop.

Lets say you run a skimmer for say 10 hours a day. Wouldn't the water become yukie or stagnant in the skimmer the extended period of time its turned off?

Just curious.....
Old 08/17/2007, 06:54 PM
AEFW Assasinator

Yes, it will.
Old 08/18/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

24/7/365
Old 08/18/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member.

i turn my skimmer off for 2 days a week, right after i dose phyto,,, no probs yet
Old 08/18/2007, 07:09 PM
><O>Euro-Reef*R*C500 <O><

i was fixin to mention that i have some extra rotifers that has phyto in it and when i put it in the water my skimmer quits working for like 3-4 hours

for the poll sakes i would run the skimmer 24-7 and feed more.

maybe turn it off for a hour at night and feed real heavy then watch the skimmer go nuts
Old 08/18/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

ok sry to just jump in but after reading.... am i over skimming??? rps-3000 (same as octo 200 recirc) moded .. i have 2 yellow tail damsals (1.5or so ), 1 yellow tang (5.5 inches) 2 coral beauty (3 to 4 inches) pajama cardinal... (3.5 inches.. i really dont like this free fish but ooo well) i feed about 1 cube worth of food a day... except these last few days.. everyone in the house been feeding... and now i got a little algea so im cutting buck to 1/2 cube a day for a little while..... i have about 130 gals worth in my system... and 4 mj-mods ... 6 54 t5ho and a 400se mh...

over skimming??? should i get more fish??

YzGyz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

thx to Randy and so many other for making reefing that much easier
Old 08/18/2007, 11:39 PM
Catch and release

Quote:
Originally posted by ThaNgBOm321
ok sry to just jump in but after reading.... am i over skimming??? rps-3000 (same as octo 200 recirc) moded .. i have 2 yellow tail damsals (1.5or so ), 1 yellow tang (5.5 inches) 2 coral beauty (3 to 4 inches) pajama cardinal... (3.5 inches.. i really dont like this free fish but ooo well) i feed about 1 cube worth of food a day... except these last few days.. everyone in the house been feeding... and now i got a little algea so im cutting buck to 1/2 cube a day for a little while..... i have about 130 gals worth in my system... and 4 mj-mods ... 6 54 t5ho and a 400se mh...

over skimming??? should i get more fish??

YzGyz
Impossible to tell from your info....do you think you are overskimming? If so...why?
Old 08/19/2007, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

i dont think im over skimming but then again im here asking this q?... i dont really know if im over feeding either...they dont ever stop eating... i can feed like 5 cubes a day and they will eat it all... i dont get too much skimmate so this is part of the reason why i think im over skimming... i can skim for 2 weeks and not fill my cup... it's about dark tea color... like there isn't much to skim.. on the other hand... my cheato grow like mad... i realy need a definate answer cuzz my tank is doing fine.. it's just one of those things that i would like to know since in would further educate me on my tank..

YzGyz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

Old 08/19/2007, 02:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
i dont think im over skimming but then again im here asking this q?... i dont really know if im over feeding either...they dont ever stop eating... i can feed like 5 cubes a day and they will eat it all... i dont get too much skimmate so this is part of the reason why i think im over skimming... i can skim for 2 weeks and not fill my cup... it's about dark tea color... like there isn't much to skim.. on the other hand... my cheato grow like mad... i realy need a definate answer cuzz my tank is doing fine.. it's just one of those things that i would like to know since in would further educate me on my tank..

YzGyz

Can you give us some more detail on your protein skimmer, how many fish etc....

I run my protein skimmer 24\7 the only time i turn them off is when i need to clean the pump and the bubble defuser plate. My protein skimmer rated for 1000g system, my total water volume approx 550-600g. I get approx 5g of dark skimmate weekly. BTW, i only feed i time a day with 10 cubes of frozen food....
Old 08/19/2007, 03:13 AM
Registered Member

24/7 365 hear - my only down time is for cleaning lol
Old 08/19/2007, 06:00 AM
Registered Member

24/7
Old 08/19/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

it's a octopus rps-3000 (dnw 200) don't know what it's rated for but it's 8''x20'' reaction chamber with a otp3000.... i did the pf4 mod, enlarged the outlet pipes & vinturi, and smooth the outlet of the volute... the inhabitants and feeding is on my 1st post... ohh and the skimmer is fed off a 't' off my overflow... im guessing about 230 gph...

YzGyz

Old 08/19/2007, 12:30 PM
Premium Member

Hello Thangbom, Are you skimming wet or dry? I notice with the RPS-3000 you have to skim it a little wet. Do you have turbulence inside the reaction chamber? What size of the bubble when it get to the top? I know you have done lots of modification to it. May be you should adjust the air a little and make sure the bubble stay small when it get to the top. Adjust your water level approx 1" before it overflow. Please keep us update.... thanks
Old 08/19/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

im skimming almost dry imo ( i cant see my neck through the skimmate) ... the neck is 3'' dia by 8'' tall... the neck gook up at where the actual cup starts (the top 4'' of the neck) ... the bubbles size is puny until the first 2'' of the neck.. from there it gets bigger and bigger ( it maxes out at about " O " +/- a little size) my water line is about 2mm under where the taper from the body to the neck begins... the turbulance in the reaction chamber is high imo.. but it don't break the foam ( once it passes the water line it stays purdy solid) bio-load is very low for my system... 155 bf w/55 gal sump/fuge... but the actual water volum is about 120/130 gals or so...

TIA
YzGyz

Old 08/19/2007, 03:06 PM
See if you can pingaso it

i run it 24/7 i see no reason not to... figure this much, during the day i feed so it should be on, at night with all the biological processes using up O2 and converting it to co2 , it should definitely be on ,then.... so 24/7 for me ...
Old 08/19/2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

About 21/7. Shuts down automatically 3 x daily for 30 minutes during recirc pump shutdown (my attempt at simulating tidal/wave action) also 45 minutes during feeding.
Old 08/19/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

How was it said "7x24" then yes I do that as well.
Old 08/20/2007, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

hey mikey....welcome to the club....have same problem(still) with one of my tanks generating some odd color morphs....i was always under the impression that colors got deeper from blocking out UV light and the clearer the water the more UV resulting in more color....i did a TDS test on the tank and found it higher than my other tanks that showed natural colors...so if u figure it out let me know....??
Old 08/20/2007, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

24/7
Old 08/20/2007, 03:26 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
im skimming almost dry imo ( i cant see my neck through the skimmate) ... the neck is 3'' dia by 8'' tall... the neck gook up at where the actual cup starts (the top 4'' of the neck) ... the bubbles size is puny until the first 2'' of the neck.. from there it gets bigger and bigger ( it maxes out at about " O " +/- a little size) my water line is about 2mm under where the taper from the body to the neck begins... the turbulance in the reaction chamber is high imo.. but it don't break the foam ( once it passes the water line it stays purdy solid) bio-load is very low for my system... 155 bf w/55 gal sump/fuge... but the actual water volum is about 120/130 gals or so...

TIA
YzGyz
If you can't see bubbles in the neck, your skimmer needs to be cleaned. Its not properly working if the neck is dirty.
Old 08/20/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
If you can't see bubbles in the neck, your skimmer needs to be cleaned. Its not properly working if the neck is dirty.
I could not agree more
Michael
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®