Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/18/2007, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

Angry I need a new skimmer

I have a 75 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump and I need a hang on skimmer. I had a CSS and was unhappy with its spotty performance and having to tweak it constantly. One minute it would be under skimming, the next it would be washing the floor. I now have a mag 3 remora pro and it's awful. The CSS pulled out 10x more gunk than the remora. I've tried it with and without the prefilter box with no luck. Is there anything I can do to tweak the remora before i toss it out? Or is there a good skimmer for around $150 that will do the job?
Old 08/18/2007, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Nope. For around $300 take a look at bermuda aquatics rogue wave, one of the best HOBs around.
For your price range get a D&D marine typhoon, order the anti-siphon kit and silencer (D&D will send these for free) and get an air pump, preferably something with a dial that you can vary amount of air such as a tetra luft pump. After you set it up, connect the air pump to the air line and away you go. A simple and efficient mod. This is a decent, well built skimmer, but not really good for a 75 unless you mod it. It is FAR better than the remora even without the mod You could also buy two of them (they are $80 each) but that is really not necessary.
Old 08/18/2007, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

wait, you have a sump (did not see that....oops) why not put your skimmer in there? An octopus nw150 would be great and it is only $125 at octopusskimmer.com.
Old 08/18/2007, 09:38 AM
clownfish fan

for 150 bucks with a sump the best be is an octopus NW

no reason for you to use kodyboys reccomendations he is so jazzed on HOB skimmers he forgot to read that you have a sump.
Old 08/18/2007, 09:38 AM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by kodyboy
wait, you have a sump (did not see that....oops) why not put your skimmer in there? An octopus nw150 would be great and it is only $125 at octopusskimmer.com.
ah you re read it lol
Old 08/18/2007, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Thank you.. i'll check them both out