Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/15/2007, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Looking for some input on a new LFS

I have been tossing around the idea of openening a tropical fish store in the Danbury CT area. Im thinking about something along the lines of a House of Fins and a Greenwich Aquarium, but down towards this end of CT. I want a place were people can come and hang out and be comforable and impressed with the selection, but also attract some of the customers that frequent these other big name CT LFS. Im just trying to get a feel for the demand of a good LFS in this part of the state because honestly the only thing around is Petco and Choice Pets both are garbage for quality and know how. Let me know what you think and any ideas or suggestions would be apprecated. Thanks in advance
Old 08/16/2007, 06:03 AM
Registered Member

Ok I guess that opening a LFS is a bad idea in this area.
Old 08/16/2007, 06:10 AM
Registered Member

I'd give it more time than 12 hours I don't live in that area so I cant really help you out, sorry.
Old 08/16/2007, 07:31 AM
Registered Member

I just reentered the hobby after many years and was very surprised to find the lack of pet shops (salt water) in the Danbury area. Twenty years ago there were several shops in the Danbury / Brookfield area and I visited and relied on them often. Even Norwalk had a great shop.

Also, look at a map of the pet shops in CT and you will find the majority of them focused around the I91 and I95 corridors; not sure if this is by design or not.

Geographically, (in my mind) the Danbury area is in need of a high end, good quality pet shop. There are basically no shops in the entire western Ct area where you can find salt or reef related supplies. If you drew a circle around Danbury I’ll bet there is nothing similar within 50 miles (NSE or W) until you get to Southington, down to the far SW corner of the state or into NYC. You will find the large chains in the area like Petco so the shop would need to specialize.

** These are my own thoughts, I didn’t do extensive research

Caution, there may not be the interest in salt water as there was many years ago and that is what drove out the businesses. My guess is the shops did not provide quality service / products and that’s what drove business away.

You can tell I thought about this.
Old 08/16/2007, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

i'd love to open a store in the enfield/windsor area. i don't, though, have the guts or capital to do it.
Old 08/16/2007, 09:59 AM
Premium Member

If you opened it, I would come by often. One just closed right across the street from Stew Leonards, however, it was your typical weak freshwater store with like one saltwater tank whom could not possible compete with Petco and the rest for the run of the mill stuff.
I believe the service business is where the money is made in Saltwater, I know, not a revelation to anyone, and the best way to get service business is to sell new setups.
I think the best way to sell new setups is to motivate new hobbyists with a killer showroom that has all kinds of display options, from Nanos up to 200 gallon tanks. This hobby if daunting to most people and you will need to offer a turnkey option. Although we know there is no such thing in this hobby, the client doesn't need to know that until after they buy, right?
I don't think there is much money at all in selling fish or any livestock for that matter due to the high mortality rates of newly caught animals. Your livestock is really there as eye candy and to fill those new display setups that you sell.
Finally, those "need it right away items" like bulkheads, bulbs, salt, etc. will be what brings the true experienced hobbyists in on a regular basis.

That's my 2 cents.

Good Luck,

John.
Old 08/16/2007, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

I completely agree about the wow factor and actually stocking things. In searching for my replacement tank, i had to call 6 different stores in hartford area, and only the one in manchester had a 75 drilled, no one had a 90 drilled. no one had stands for all the 120 or 125 tanks they had. people don't always want to wait. what would have happened if my tank atually split and i was in a huge emergency? i would have gone and picked up whatever i could find.

yea, takes a couple days to order, but there's nothing like having them on the shelf.

also, try to find any corallife PC 65w bulbs anywhere...
Old 08/16/2007, 12:52 PM
Enjoying Life

I have been living in Ridgefield for the past ten years. We now only have only ONE store in Ridgfield that carries saltwater livestock and supplies. Other than that Petco and Choice Pet supply in Danbury, do not count as fish store (both have the same quality live stock- not good).

You would be a savior to open up a store in Danbury, that carried fish and corals. The last really good one in Danbury, had realitively healthy stuff, but was over priced, which they could do because the next nearest good one is up in Fishkill, NY. They eventually closed because the owners (an elderly couple) decided they wanted to retire.

You would make big bucks in that area because we really don't have any good stores, (the one in Ridgfield isn't the best, but fine)
unless you want to travel 45 miuntes to Fiskill. Or 45/50 minutes south to Greenwich to buy fish (you have to be a millionare to buy fish and corals down there).

IMO....................

DO IT!!!! DO IT!!!! DO IT!!!!
Old 08/16/2007, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

Reefman13, I know you are partial to the store, as it is the only one near us, but you are being way to kind, the one in Ridgefield is not in anyway a Saltwater store. They have one 40 or 60 gallon tank that is barely even maintained.
I would not advise anyone to even bother going in. I think they make all their money on invisible fence installs.
My 2 cents anyway.
Old 08/16/2007, 01:40 PM
Enjoying Life

Well, secretly I agree with you flavorflave, but the last time I bashed their store I got a call from the owner and his lawer.

They currently have a very limited selection of fish and corals and their corals tend to be quite over priced, in a tank w/ insufficent lighting. Any way, I have bought two fish from them and have not had a problem (I got them before he was going to put them in to the system; they had just arrived via UPS).

Anyway..........OPEN THAT STORE!!!!
Old 08/16/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the input. I would specialize in the setup and servicing of new and existing tanks. And would prefer to sell captive raised fish and corals only, this is an amazing hobby if you understand what its all about. To me its about preservation, trying to recreate something that unfortunately is being destroyed by overfishing, global warming etc. And if I could avoid buying and selling wild caught fish and corals as much as possible than I would feel like I was making a difference,(a small one but still a difference). Im also a gadget guy I love high tech so having the latest and greatest in aquarium tech would be a must. I was thinking maybe 2 500 gallon main mixed reef displays. 2-3 180 gallon specific reef, SPS in one LPS in another etc. 20-30 15-30 gallon tanks for fish and inverts. Lots of dry goods that people actually need and want like MH bulbs PC bulbs T5 bulbs, common plumbing and electrical hardware. The most poular sized tanks and stands. But most important to me would be the atmosphere of the place I want it to be a place were people feel comfortable going too and not pressured to buy anyhting. A place where people can learn about the hobby and talk to other hobbyists. Have a couple couches were you could lounge have a cup of coffe and read a fishkeeping book. I dont know I have lots of ideas and Im rambling sorry. Im in the process of looking for a store and finding a good small buisiness loan. If anyone is from the Danbury area I was checking out the old Audi-Porsche dealership on Newtown Rd. Thanks again for the input and honesty and of course C.T.A.R.S members would get a discount. Keep the ideas and thoughts coming and Ill keep you guys posted. Jay
Old 08/16/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

no prob, and when you want to expand into the windsor area, i know a good person to run it for you (me me me )
Old 08/16/2007, 06:58 PM
Enjoying Life

That old dealership spot would be fantastic. Right on a main road.

There are also two places in Ridgefield you could open up at. LMK.
Old 08/16/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

I just got back from looking at a new spot across from Costco in Brookfield/Danbury line. The place is great 3000 square feet lots of room and a great location. Ill have to see and check a few more places. Reefman13 I saw 1 spot in Ridgefield its a Chocolate Store thats moving but rent is way too high!! Stay Tuned
Old 08/16/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefman13
Well, secretly I agree with you flavorflave, but the last time I bashed their store I got a call from the owner and his lawer.
wow. that'sa little harsh for someone who isnt even old enough to drive. haha
also, the next closest store is in FISHKILL, NY? man... talk about your bad location....

and i jsut wanted to offer my support. good fish stores are a good thing to have, especialy whos owners will talk to us when we come in
Old 08/16/2007, 10:26 PM
Enjoying Life

There is a suite of open space (2600 sqft) on route 35 in Ridgefield, the rent I believe is about $2000 a month. LMK if you want the #.
Old 08/16/2007, 11:35 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by reefman13

They currently have a very limited selection of fish and corals and their corals tend to be quite over priced, in a tank w/ insufficent lighting. Any way, I have bought two fish from them and have not had a problem (I got them before he was going to put them in to the system; they had just arrived via UPS).

Anyway..........OPEN THAT STORE!!!!

Actually he called me and you were next to me. And I dont belive he really called his lawyer. Because he would be charged with animal crultey
Old 08/16/2007, 11:37 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty750
I just got back from looking at a new spot across from Costco in Brookfield/Danbury line. The place is great 3000 square feet lots of room and a great location. Ill have to see and check a few more places. Reefman13 I saw 1 spot in Ridgefield its a Chocolate Store thats moving but rent is way too high!! Stay Tuned
Do it in ridgefield PLEASE!!! And I will be your closet employee =) and reefman of course.

keep us updated or if you have any question PM me.
Old 08/16/2007, 11:42 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

Quote:
Actually he called me and you were next to me. And I dont belive he really called his lawyer.

Quote:
but the last time I bashed their store I got a call from the owner and his lawer.

hmmm tough guys

i actually think its a great idea to start a new store up, though it is difficult to start up a store, youll have ctars to back you up and help get things going

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 08/16/2007, 11:52 PM
Moved In

Nah mike, I made a thread here on RC about a fish I saved from them, the sailfin tang. Whicj has healed up ad now in my reef. Then a new thread that they kept there seahorses with damsels and agressive fish. And they were about 3 months old. One was dieing. Then Puppy center somehow contacted them and told them about the thread. Then this idiot from "ridgefield pet" came on telling some lies about me wanting some type of coral but my lighting wasnt good enough. But anyone know i wouldnt want to buy a mushroom for $49.99. I still don't know how he got my phone number and name. But I havent been in that store since. reefman kind of abbadend me by buying a fish from them. But I don't wanna be banned so Im not gonna argue. No offence reefman13 but you shouldn't of ever went back to that store. Okay I don't want a fight so im stopping here
Old 08/24/2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Update!!

So I went and looked at a couple of locations today. The first was the old Diving Bell location on Federal Rd in Brookfield. Nice spot about 2700 sq feet, needs some work but has potential, nive spot for a 700 gallon main display and lots of room for drygoods and a seperate area to showcase custom installs and give people some ideas of whats possible. The second place was across the street next to Basset furniture. It is 3500 sqft has 20 foot ceilings and is a wide open layout, move in condition large storage room with a garage door for easy loading and unloading. Tons of ways to setup the place but maybe too big. The last place was on Mill Plain Rd in the plaza with the Mobil Car Wash. About 1600sqft with definite potential, lots of bored people waiting for theyre cars to be washed could wander in and become customers. Trying to finish up my buisiness plan this weekend to see how much money I can get, and trying to locate wholesalers and some connections. So that is where I stand as of now Im actually getting pretty excited now after seeing these places it gives me an idea so I can lay things out in my head. Ill keep you updated let me know what you think.
Old 08/24/2007, 07:22 PM
Enjoying Life

YGPM
Old 08/24/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

reefman13 got your PM Thanks
Old 08/25/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Hope the best in this venture We do need a good LFS around this area the ones in Greenwich are way to over price
Old 08/26/2007, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

You would certainly have a good customer here. I've been all but begging for a good store in the area. Ridgefield Pet is a joke for saltwater and while I will likely still shop at HOF for most things as they're close to my job but it will be great to have a store near my home. The Mill Plain location is great and I know it well. Certainly much newer than the old Dive Bell.