Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/10/2007, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

help with my xenia frags

I just bought 2 frags of xenia two days ago. One frag is a nice size and is pulsing normally. The other frag branch has 2 frags of xenia on it. Both are smaller than the other frag. One is the same type as the other (pink pulsing) and is pulsing as well. The other smaller frag is the silver pulsing variety. It hasn't shown the same responses as the others. it looks rather wilted with the occasional pulsing. It was doing much better yesterday and the day I acclimated it. It pulsed from the start, but not now. It is all wilted and sad looking.

Any thoughts on this? If this piece dies, will it kill the other healthy frags? How do I know if I need to remove it or if it will "bounce" back?

BTW...all params are in the required range. Temp is 80-81

I'm broke!
Old 08/10/2007, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

???

I'm broke!
Old 08/12/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Maybe the temp is a little too high for it. My xenia kind of look wilted if the temp goes above 80
Old 08/12/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

Well, I lowered the temp to 78-79, but they melted away anyhow. Bummer, I really liked the silver variety. The other two are doing fine and pulsing away.

Maybe the silver are more sensitive than the pinks.

I'm broke!
Old 08/12/2007, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

I am sorry to hear that
Old 08/12/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ShannHell
I am sorry to hear that
Thanks. At least the other 2 are flourishing thus far. Keep my fingers crossed!
I am trying to grow a section in my prop tank of just xenia (for my 2 clownfish) and also to frag from. The whole right side of the tank is strickly for the xenias. The left side has frag shelves.

I'm broke!
Old 08/12/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

PM workingforfrags he's in the Tucson, Phoenix forum. The guys a xenia gura grows great for him. He may help you out.
Old 08/12/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

xenia

PM workingforfrags he's in the Tucson, Phoenix forum. The guys a xenia gura grows great for him. He may help you out.
Old 08/12/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Smile xenia

Ouch, double click!!!! sorry!!!
Old 08/13/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

don't do anything with the melted xenia chances are it will come right back and be stronger then before. It will just take some time. Keep algea away from it, give it good flow, and plenty of light. Mine melted when I first got them and now I have small trees in my tank lol.
Old 08/13/2007, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

I haven't sone anyhting with it as the other frag is on the same LR. Good to know though.
Maybe it will come back. Thanks

Oldsun-thanks for the info. I may contact if I have further issues.

I'm broke!
Old 08/13/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

yup yup. mine melted and cameback with lots of new babies branch.
Old 08/15/2007, 09:01 PM
Membership Director/TBRC

Quote:
Maybe the temp is a little too high for it. My xenia kind of look wilted if the temp goes above 80
My tank runs at 81 to 83 and the Xenia multiplies like weeds.
Old 08/16/2007, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by customanimalart
Thanks. At least the other 2 are flourishing thus far. Keep my fingers crossed!
I am trying to grow a section in my prop tank of just xenia (for my 2 clownfish) and also to frag from. The whole right side of the tank is strickly for the xenias. The left side has frag shelves.
Uhhhh, yeah. Good luck with that endeavor......tried to do the same thing myself. They won't be in that section for long. I don't know what is more irritating. The fact that when they grow they grow exponentially or the fact that they move so much. They will crawl onto almost anything. I have a prop tank mainly for exotic colored zoos and I have to constantly watch for the xenia crawling over the top of the colonies. They will crawl right over the closed polyps of a colony. On a good note though.....I just traded 32 frags of xenia with the LFS and got some sweet zoos and blastos in return.
Old 08/16/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

wow. I heard that they spread rapidly, so I will just have to see how it goes for me.
Trading is a wonderful thing huh? That's what I am after...zoas.

I'm broke!
Old 08/18/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Xenia likes slightly less than perfect water quality. The more flow they have the more they will pulsate. I know my water is not perfect and my xenia is growing like a weed.
Old 08/18/2007, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

My tank is about 6 weeks old now and I just added a pair of juvie clownfish, so there isn't much of any nutrients in the water.
Now, that there are fish, it shouldn't take long. =)
They have good flow.
The second of the smaller has also withered away to nothing. This morning I was watching it and noticed that it was dropping its polyps and the free floating polyps were getting pushed around with the flow. Something is telling me that I will be having xenia popping up all over the place now.
Yikes.
I will have to keep that in check, if it's the case.

I'm broke!
Old 08/22/2007, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I have xenia thriving in an 84F tank.
Old 08/26/2007, 09:53 PM
Actiniaria Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by reggiepe
They will crawl onto almost anything. I have a prop tank mainly for exotic colored zoos and I have to constantly watch for the xenia crawling over the top of the colonies. They will crawl right over the closed polyps of a colony.
Ditto that. I moved all Xenia and Anthelia to a Xeniid Containment Facility i.e., separate sheet of egg crate in my 300g because they grow off the plug, onto the eggcrate, and over every frickin' coral in the tank.

It is nice to get store credit for it though, I've gotten several hundred dollars worth of zoas and a couple of fish that way.

To the OP, your tank is really new for coral, and you may have better luck when it's more established. We put some silver Xenia in our 75g when it was about 8 mos old and it melted. Now, well, now it's a weed and I think (hope!) I got most of it out finally.

-Sonja
Old 08/26/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Well, the final on began to shrink at the stalk until it seperated from the rock. The top (or what was left) I put in a shallow covered container. If it makes it, it makes it, if not, oh well.
My tank is new, so I will wait before I add any more xenia.

I'm broke!
Old 08/28/2007, 01:03 PM
Premium Member

Xenia seems to be touch and go with some reefers. I've always had good luck with mine. As far as water quality, I took a xenia rock from my main tank and put it in a holding tank I'm using temporarily for liverock. Now, this tanks water quality is excellent and the xenia is doing great in there too! I use Lugol's iodine on a regular basis and I think it's beneficial for the xenia.

As far as temperature, my holding tank runs around 78 and my main tank is running 81 and the xenia is doing great in both. Go figure on that one! They are doing great in both high and low flow areas.
Old 08/28/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

This one is on its way out now. There are only a couple of polyps left from the xenia that I have in the container.
I will wait a while and if I get more, it will be a small colony instead of frags.
How frustrating~

I'm broke!