Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/08/2006, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

I am looking at the wave2k's. I have a 75 gallon and would like to see some pictures of how they are set-up or an explanation. Also how good to they move water. Water are people's expierences with wave boxes are they a good way to get flow throughout the tank without having dead spots?
Old 12/08/2006, 09:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tcmfish
I am looking at the wave2k's. I have a 75 gallon and would like to see some pictures of how they are set-up or an explanation. Also how good to they move water. Water are people's expierences with wave boxes are they a good way to get flow throughout the tank without having dead spots?
I would use the search if you can get it to work and look into the many threads, i have a few myself from a year or 2 ago.my answer in short would be there not for everybody.and theres better ways to get flow.
Old 08/06/2007, 04:56 PM
Premium Member

great thread... haven't had a chance to read through it completely yet but I figure I would give my input. I am in the process of setting up a 5'x5'x30" reef tank and I will be using 2 OM 4-ways for my closed loop, all returns are run through the bottom panel as the tank is viewable from 4 sides. 4 will shoot water straight up and 4 will shoot water at the 4 walls. The CL's will be run off a sequence dart and a barracuda.

I then have 2 1" Wavyseas as my main return lines, run off a hammerhead, that will have two tunze 6201's attached to them. Hopefully that will do that job ;-)

Click on the little red house for my thread and let me know what your think. I would like any input that I could get on flow in my reef tank before I get it set up. Thanks and once again great thread.

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 08/06/2007, 06:07 PM
Got Salt!

The Om 4way is a great piece of equipment, I have one in each of the twin 180's. The flow is mostly directed towards the bottom pannel of the tanks. But I did have to supliment the acro tank with a tunze stream 6100 to get the wow factor.
Old 08/06/2007, 08:09 PM
out of work reefer...

I also run a 4 way in my 300.I love the current
Old 08/08/2007, 08:29 AM
Registered Member

im setting up my frag tank and i have a quick ? for you guys. i am planning on outting either a mj900 mod or a 1200 mod in the tank for flow. its a 30 gal (36x12x17). the 1200 will give me somewhere in the neighborhood of 80x turnover. the 900, 40-50x. what would be a better choice?
Old 08/08/2007, 08:50 AM
cnidarian vigilante

The issue is not total turn over, rather you want to make sure that ALL the corals have circulation. So it depends on the corals you are putting in the tank. If they are large and block flow to the other corals than you will need more circulation. If you are just putting small frags in the tank, they will not block the flow to other corals so you should be fine.
Old 08/08/2007, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

cool. it's going to be just a grow out. small frags of sps and zoas. need to make some $$ for a new light over my dt. oh yeah, and grow out some sps and zoas for when i get my new light. lol
Old 08/08/2007, 11:12 AM
Got Salt!

JB NY

Did you set up a raceway for your prop tank a few years back? If so how did it turn out flow wise. The reason i am asking is that I have a large sump/fuge/prop tank(150gallons) and I definitly have a pretty fast current ziping though it, lol it reminds me of drift diving in Cozumel Mexico!
Old 08/08/2007, 11:29 AM
cnidarian vigilante

The raceway didn't work as good as I hoped. The flow in the channels was not enough and I ended up putting power heads in the tank anyway. For my new tank I also put in a new frag tank, same dimensions just no raceway.
Old 08/08/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Great thread....good bump too. How far back was this thing Joe? I am going to go for a reread just as a refresher.
Old 08/08/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Scuba in cozumel is definately drift. I went on a dive trip there it was pretty cool. Lots of large angels.
Old 08/10/2007, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

I am building my new system right now and have a questions for some of you gurus.

I have a 300 display 8 x 2 x 2.5 (Euro Brace)

Return - Sequence cuda to 3 Sea Swirls spaced across the back and three fixed locline outlets across bottom of the tank spaced across the front blowing up. Thats 6 returns 3 of which are SS.

I also have 2 Tunze 6100 with multi controller.

My question is wether or not to sell my OM 4 way that I bought. I have another cuda that was going to push it, but do I really need it. My tank has no holes for a CL so it would be over the top .

As the tank matures I will add two more 6100 and maybe a wavebox. With that being said, do you guys think I should use this OM 4way or can I be safe without it. I figure the power savings on a electricity for barracuda will add up.
Old 08/10/2007, 07:59 PM
Got Salt!

vegaskid11

I went with the combination of a OM 4 way and some streams. Why, so that when the caps and stags grow out I would have plenty of flow and no dead spots. Curently I have my 4 ways pointing down to the bottom of the tank so no detrious settels to the bottom of the tank, and the streams(6100) are positioned to blow into the mid section of the tank. and the retrun takes care of the uppper section/surface. If your worried obout electrical usage you could for go the cuda and go with say a dart?
Old 08/11/2007, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the info
Old 08/12/2007, 05:29 PM
Team RC Member

I'm a small tank for sps---a 54 wedge. I run my tank via a 30g sump in the basement with an Iwaki 100, which is way overkill, but it's what I ended up with: since they allegedly last forever, I figure I'll have to throttle back for a long time.

The flow comes out divided between two sea swirls aimed at each other, but slightly down, and it's enough just not quite to make the sand walk, but I do have to brace things so the sand doesn't creep out from under them. Because the two Sea Swirls are not coordinated, they both provide chaotic flow in the mathematical sense and keep my rocks swept out and my fish exercised. Nothing gets hit directly, and I have yet to know how well this does with sps, because everything is suffering 'new tank syndrome' since the move. The lps are ecstatic. The sps are starting to show the tips of polyps. I would say to anyone contemplating a basement sump that half the pump I've got would probably do ok to get a good flow up a 15' rise.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 08/12/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

Any thoughts on this article: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature

After a quest for an ideal flow plan for my tank, I eventually settled down to a single powerhead setup using a SEIO 820. This was even after placing a modded maxi-jet in the tank making all sorts of flow. I placed the live rock off the back glass and aimed the powerhead across the back and all the coral polyps have a random flow that passes them such as the original video from this single laminar powerhead. Being barbottom, detrius that settles is minimal. Before having two powerheads aimed directly at each other, I had dead spots and piles of detrius build up in locations (even with that modded mj). For an ecomonical solution to sps waterflow, this would be your best bet. I plan on replacing the SEIO with a nano-stream or even a vortech for just a little bit more flow than what the SEIO makes. The article mentioned has some good ideas to use than the traditional more outlets and turnover the better...
Old 08/12/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

My tank is 3 x 2(h) x 18inch tank...

32hf return direct to tank( no diversion to any equipment)
2 x tunze 6060

thinking of adding another 6060 just for the bottom of my tank