Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/04/2007, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

RC member and shipping issues

about 2 weeks ago i bought a light fixture from someone here on rc in the selling forum and he said he would ship it out asap and i should have it in 2-3 days(shipping priority usps) and after 7 days of not recieving the light i contacted this person and he said that the tracking info said it was delivered and signed for... BUT i did not recieve anything or sign for anything. I come to find out he sent it to the old addressi lived at that paypal had on account. I told him the correct address to send the light to in a personal message but didnt pay attention to that and he just looked at my paypal address(which i changed but i guess it wasnt set as the "home address")

i went to my old address which is an apartment complex and they said they did not have the package and that it might have been sent back to the post office, but they dont know or remember any package they returned.

am i screwed in this situation because the person sent it to the wrong address? the person i bought this light from seems very honest and doesnt seem to be scaming and seems to have made an honest mistake, and it partially is my fault to for not having the old paypal address removed. is this something that insurance would cover, or do you think i will never see my money back or the light? this sittuation is really frustrating and i have never dealt with anything like this before.
Old 08/04/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

Hate to say it but sounds like your hosed, you cannot count on instant messenger to relay a message, correct paypal is #1. Hopefully the people at your old complex will be honest and give it back / or have already marked it return to sender. Is anyone living in your old apartment..? I sell a massive amount of items online and the biggest pain for seller is when someones paypal info is not accurate. Most sellers will only ship to a verified paypal address and not to any address the purchaser provides. Hope for the best with your purchase! Give it some time.
Old 08/04/2007, 03:30 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

hmm, we had the same issue with an order through a catalog they shipped it to our old adress that they had in the system even though we specified our new address, anyways it was their fault and they re-shipped the items.
With this I would say that since you specified an adress to ship it to, it is mostly their fault. If the post office/apt. complex doesnt find it I would say that you should get at least 3/4 your money back, or if the person you bought it from has anything else, equal value that you could use then they should supplement your lost item.
Old 08/04/2007, 04:03 PM
HELP SLOW

I would ask the shipping carrier for the name of the person who signed for it and go see them.

Good Luck!

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 08/04/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

This would be your fault for not having the correct address listed with PayPal, not the sellers.
Old 08/04/2007, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

With it requiring a signature you can prove who recieved the package and if nessesary, bring charges of theft.

Work with the carrier to determine who recieved the package.
Contact them, requesting they return your property.
File charges of theft and try to get Police to recover your property.
Sue the person for the cost of your property & time.
Old 08/04/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smo
This would be your fault for not having the correct address listed with PayPal, not the sellers.

i would have to agree. the only thing i see you being able to do now is go after whoever signed the package.
Old 08/04/2007, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

If it was priority mail, unless signature confirmation was paid for, there will be no signature. Just the delivery confirmation which = tracking to paypal.

It is no offence to you guy, it was an honest mistake but one that may cost you. If you emailed the guy and have email proof asking for a different address and he responded to that email, then shipped to the wrong address anyways, that would be the only way it is his fault infortunatley... That would be the only leg you would have to stand on if you made a paypal complaint.

If you only sent him an instant message in which he did not reply or confirm the address change, then pretty much your sol...

If you sent him an instant message and he replied saying he would ship to the new address and shipped to the old anyways.. then it becomes a moral debate and the seller should at least meet you 1/2 way on the price as you both made a mistake.
Old 08/04/2007, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

i feel that it isnt my fault completly when i SPECIFICALLY said in my email on reefcentral to send it to a certain address. i see how it got mixed up and it was an honest mistake of the person. he said he paid extra for the signature confrimation and tracking so that is a good idea to go to the carrier. im gonna call on monday. Im not trying to play a blam game here, i just want my package.
Old 08/04/2007, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

I hope he truly received a signature too...I know I've had packages where I specifically asked for them to have my signature cause it's a high price item I don't want being left outside. I had my Xbox-360 Preordered and shipped to me. I get home from grocery shopping cause fedex was late and I didn't have all day to wait around and see it on my front doorstep sitting there for only an hour or so luckily...