Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/30/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Opinions on a mandarin in a biocube

Hi everyone,

I've got a 14 gal Biocube that's been up for a year. I recently added some macro algae that got out of control (I definitely should've thought twice about that addition) and now my tank is over-run with pods. I've pulled out the majority of the macro algae and now some of the larger pods are chowing down on my zoas. There are dozens of large pods collecting on the zoas, probably about 1/4 inch long each, and countless small ones milling about.

My questions are as follows:
1) Could I add a mandarin to get some of these pods under control, or is there no possible way it would survive?
1a) In the next couple of months, I'd like to add on a 20 gal. refugium; would it be possible to raise enough pods in there to support it?
2) Can anyone give me recommendations about other pod-eating additions that are possibly not as finicky as a mandarin but would still make an interesting addition?

Right now I've got some zoas, a frogspawn, some mushrooms, xenia, a maroon clown, cleaner shrimp and misc. hermits/snails. I know the clown is a potential hazard to new additions, but it did not bother previous additions. (Both were fire fish. One jumped and got stranded on the tiny ledge-- I'm still trying to figure out the physics of that one-- and the other was lost in a power outage.)

Sorry this is a little long; thanks for any help or suggestions you might have. My two favorite zoanthid colonies are down to 3/4 of their size. I really appreciate it!
Old 07/31/2007, 03:01 AM
Registered Member

Look at the louist's tank

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/totm/index.php
Old 07/31/2007, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

Maybe look into a scooter blenny. They're in the same family, cool looking, and I don't know if they're quite as voracious.

Although mine doesn't seem to stop looking for food too often.
Old 07/31/2007, 07:18 AM
Registered Member

Also recommend the scooter blenny... it's a smaller fish than a mandarin, still in the dragonet family (check out the rest of this family for fish that eat pods), you'll need to raise pods for it to eat unless you get one that accepts frozen/prepared (as mine does). Good luck.
~Brian
Old 07/31/2007, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

Sorry...double post. I'll give myself the appropriate punishment. :-(
Old 07/31/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

haha, scooters arent smaller, i've seen a 6 inch scooter on several occasions, mandarins get to only about 4 inches usually. anyway, I've had my scooter on frozen for over a year in a 29g, but i personally wouldnt try it in a cube, just not enough to me. but in the order i have found that dragonets eat frozen goes:
scooter>spotted>green. so in that order is the basics from what ive gathered
Old 07/31/2007, 10:55 AM
Premium Member

I'd stay away from the mandarin and get something that eats pods as well as prepared foods. A small 6 line would work. I've heard that scooters will eat prepared food but have no personal experience. How about a possum wrasse. Get one that eats prepared food and you'll be set. Bottom line is look for a fish that has better long term survivability in a cube. A typical mandarin definitely does not fit the bill here.
Old 07/31/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

dont get a sixline it would be too small a tank, if you want a dragonet get a red scooter blenny they only get 3 inches and scooters have more success on frozen foods and survival in small tanks
Old 07/31/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

I have a six line in my 24 and he is fat and happy but he mainly loves any food I am willing to give him!!
Yellow Striped Maroon Clownfish
Yellowtail Damselfish
Spotted Cardinal Fish
Midas Blenny
Abalone (got in by mistake but he can really clean a tank!!)
Old 07/31/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the suggestions!
I'm definitely thinking of a scooter blenny now. I'm a little worried about being able to get any fish to learn to eat frozen food once it wipes out these pods, though.
Does anyone have experience with using a refugium as a source of pods for one of these fish? Will it be harder than I think?
Old 07/31/2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Have you thought about setting up a mini refugium in the middle back chambers of your biocube? That's what I have done with mine, and it is working really well (of course, it is much smaller than 20 gallons!).

Also, unsolicited commentary: That maroon is going to get way to big for your tank.
Old 07/31/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

I have thought about that, but I wasn't sure if it would need more light/be enough space. Also, yes, I know the maroon will grow, but he's still pretty small and when he's bigger he becomes my excuse for a large tank.
Old 07/31/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

If you scrape the black vinyl off of the back of the tank where the middle chamber is, you can use an external light. I am using a really bright LED light that I got on ebay for like $5.

Check out this thread:

Biocube Fuge Mod Discussion
Old 07/31/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the link.

The more I search around, the more I think it'll be pretty easy to mod this when I need to.

I'm going to keep searching for a fishy addition. So far the scooter blenny looks like what I'll get assuming I find one small enough to be happy in my tank for a while.

Thanks for all the suggestions! If anyone has others, I'd of course love to hear them.
Old 07/31/2007, 11:21 PM
the cattleman

You would have to continuously replenish the pod population.
PO4=0ppm, ideal

1/06/08 after a water change
Ca= 480ppm, still a little high
pH= 8.2, I'd like it at 8.3
NO3= 10ppm, acceptable
Old 07/31/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

it would be a good idea to buy some bottled pods as it would wipe out ur population fairly quickly
Old 07/31/2007, 11:45 PM
Frag-a-holic

Start adding the frozen food as soon as you get whatever you get. Don't wait until it decimates your pod population til you supplement. I would start off with some enriched brine shrimp and then try to get it to eat some frozen Mysis and whatever you have. I had a mandarin once that wouldn't eat anything except frozen Bloodworms. He live for over 2 years. Most of the time it is a simple task of not getting them to eat, but finding what they like to eat. Good luck.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 08/01/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the feeding suggestions. I had heard that mandarins and the like take better to frozen food when they're fat and greedy rather than when they're hungry or starved. No matter what I end up with, I plan to start offering it frozen food right away then supplementing the pods regularly.