Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater Iowa Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/29/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Then, the pipes have to be routed to the other side of the basement about 25 feet away to where the RO, sump and everything else will be

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07/29/2007, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

The sump will be in the middle of the floor here with the RO holding tanks on one wall and refugium on the other wall.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07/29/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

more stuff along the back wall.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07/29/2007, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

From where the sump will be looking at where the drain/return lines will have to go (near the main house drain).

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07/30/2007, 11:12 AM
Calvinist

#1 is there any way to make your sump taller [a 55 gallon tank, etc] put it against the wall near the pipe coming down- or the hot water heater, and have it closer to the tank?

#2 are you saying you can only put the tank there upstairs because that is the only place you want to go through the wall?
Old 07/30/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

Small house, that is the only available free wall that I have. Every other wall has something if front of it. And there is no room in the basement to put the sump besides that one corner. There is a doorway right on the other side of the water heater and the floor over there is not very level in that area. It would be nice if I could have the sump closer to where the aquarium will be but the only place that will work and give me enough room is that one corner.
Old 08/01/2007, 02:51 AM
Registered Member

Any suggestions on a half way cheap return pump that doesn't use a lot of electricity?
Old 08/01/2007, 07:53 PM
Calvinist

you should level out that floor looking at the pics i am convinced there is room for a sump there..... if you can get creative, and that could help solve you woes of long plumbing...

think smaller runs= less electricity

what gph do you want arriving upstairs?
Old 08/02/2007, 02:47 AM
Registered Member

I'd like to have it close to that area. But I'm also going to have three trash containers for water storage, a refugium, sump and possibly a mangrove tank. The area over there is only about 8 foot by 10 foot. There is also a small room for storage right behind the water heater so I need the area open for access back there. Someone put a bathtub on a cement slab in the back of that area too, right under the electrical outlet, that doesn't seem safe. I was thinking about taking the tub out, so that might work. I'll have to do some thinking on that one. If I do keep everything where I originally planned, I think I'm going to use a Gen X Mak 4 pump for return. According to the RC head loss calc, with a 15 foot vertical, 25 foot horizontal with all pipe bends and two ball valves, I'll have 377gph for the return with 3/4 inch pipe. The Gen X Mak 4's inlet and outlet on the pump are 3/4 inch. If I used 1 inch pipe, it states that I'd have 569 gph. I imagine either of those should be enough. And the pump only uses 55 watts. I won't be using my Mag 12 any more which used 110 watts so that should save me a little bit. And instead of using a Mag 9.5 at 93 watts in the main aquarium for flow, I'm hoping to use one or two Tunze pumps that use a fraction of that electricity. In the end, I'm hoping to use less electricity than I did before to make the wife happy. I really wish I could get one of those Solaris LED lights but I highly dought thats going to happen