Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/26/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

DIY Skimmer Help

I basically took a ER CS12-1 body and recirced it with three Ocean Runner 2700s. The problem I am having is they don't seem strong enough to pull any air when I adjust the water level up in the skimmer. i.e., when the water rises in teh skimmer body it also rises in the airline on the pumps. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 07/26/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

use a one way valve on the air line it should solve your problem
Old 07/26/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Seems like that would limit the flow of air quite a bit, but I will try anything. Off to Petsmart I go in the morning.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 07/27/2007, 02:16 AM
DIY Junkie

check your venturi's...if you are getting water in the airlines, there is something wrong with the setup. A checkvalve won't solve anything. The air intake on the venturi needs to be on the pump side of the reduction if there is one. there are several very effective DIY venturi's you can make.

FWIW, OR pumps are supposed to be good at handling head without losing much airflow.
Old 07/27/2007, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

also make sure your air intake is as close to the impeller as possible. makes it easier for the pump to "pull" air...
Old 07/27/2007, 02:46 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

Sounds like you have your air line on the wrong side of the pump. You need to have the airline in the pumps intake pipe, as close to the pump's impeller as possible. Also, purchased venturi's are crap. Look up some diy venturi's here on RC.
Old 07/27/2007, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

Thanks but the DIY venturi is on the intake side of the pump. I do understand how skimmers work.... I slowed down the water going into the intake of the pump and it is working fine now. Thanks for all who commented.

Joe