Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/25/2007, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

best ich immunity fish ?

what kind of fish has better immunity as for ich besides Damsel?

what about wrasse compare with trigger ?
Old 07/25/2007, 08:38 AM
Anti "So called Expert"

Due to the slime coats they produce at night fairy wrasses are pretty resiliant towards Crypto. Dragonets are another good choice as long as you have a tank that can sustain them.
Triggers have pretty big scales so they are not as prone to get Crypto as angels or tangs but they can still have problems.
Old 07/25/2007, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

6-line
Old 07/25/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

I'd like to know some more too can anyone share more????????
Old 07/25/2007, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

why are you worried about fish that don't catch ich easily. You should quarantine all fish before putting them in your display tank. Almost all saltwater fish can catch or carry ich. Once it is in your display tank you have to remove all fish for upto 6 weeks to get rid of it.
Old 07/25/2007, 06:47 PM
Team RC Member

Blennies and gobies are generally ich-resistent.

My tank [read my fishlist] is an example of a list that just doesn't worry too much about ich. Quarantining and observation is a good idea, but there are a handful of fish I'd risk putting in rather than quarantining, personally, notably the dragonets, because of the low incidence of ich with them and the fact their food supply is exotic and only present in living tanks or by dripping live copepods. There is controversy about this, but this is, honestly, what I do and have always done.
To further reduce the incidence of ich:
1. be careful where you buy the fish and be particular: if there's ich anywhere in the store, consider they may all have a common sump.
2. plan on acquiring your fish in your first few months and then get no more fish for a very, very, very long time---many of these creatures can live a decade or more, and should, in a stable tank. If you've had no ich for a year, you risk destabilizing that situation by ever getting another fish. So do it very, very seldom. Avoid overstocking. And minimize aggression/stress. Even aggressives are happier in an unstressed tank, where they can bluster and not bite.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 07/26/2007, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Mandirians almost never get ich. They are so resilant that it is said that if you have a ich outbrake you should leave them in the display tank. Cause if you take them out of the tank with all the live rock they will starve to death.
Old 07/26/2007, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

Im not sure I follow.... How about wrasses? Hmm are firefish considered gobies? I also read that hawks are pretty good at dealing with ich. The super magnet ich fish I ever encountered was a hippo tang. Mind listing some more sk8r? I am tempted to get a clown goby wonder will they deal with this pretty well...
Old 07/26/2007, 11:22 AM
Premium Member

My purple tang has been bullet proof to ich. The other tangs in the system, not so much (Dussumieri). Also my fairy wrasses are pretty disease resistant.

"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."

Jack Kerouac
Old 07/26/2007, 11:33 AM
Team RC Member

Little fishes that swim near the bottom and have good slime coats seem to have natural defenses [my guesswork here] against this sand-dwelling parasite. Fishes like tangs and angels that have little slime and an apparently scaleless skin and swim high up in the water column are forced by our shallow tanks to get right down where ich lives, and get it much more readily, because they're not where they belong. Clowns, poor things, are just susceptible to a lot of things, possibly because they are being tank-bred and morphed into a lot of varieties. [Genetics is funny: you start selecting for a 'desirable' trait, and you don't know what other gene may express [or not] and make the critter better or worse in immunities or any other trait.]

At any rate, bet on dartfish, dragonets, gobies and blennies for a fairly ich-resistent tank.
Among aggressives that shouldn't be kept with the above: Wrasses aren't too bad. I don't think dottybacks are. Clowns are really, really susceptible, and even have their own disease [brook]...I mention it because it's almost kneejerk for new tank owners to get a clown, and then not to quarantine same, or to lose one of a pair, get a new one, not quarantine, and then to lose a bunch of fish, sad to say. Interesting about the purple tang: I had one for a brief while [sold him on] and he was, indeed, immaculate.

Blue tangs seem to to be the worst, or they suffer from the "nemo" factor: everybody wants one, and they're really a 'wait until you're expert' fish. Besides, there's a reason they're also called 'hippo tang'---they get huge! Others among the worst, other tangs, angels, clowns, and rabbit fish---I swear, rabbitfish are as bad as blue tangs, but blue tangs tend to die of it and rabbits just give it to everybody else, and themselves rarely die.

The above is just my own experience, and what I gather from reading others' experiences. Won't swear to its accuracy, but you can see my fish list below.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 07/26/2007, 12:46 PM
old enough to know better

While some fish may have a higher resistance to ich that is no guarantee that they won't get ich (that includes Mandarins and every other fish mentioned in this thread) and if ich gets into your tank then your stuck trying to treat all your fish and then trying to eliminate the ich from your show tank which is frankly a major PIA.

QT all fish .. allows your fish to acclimate to captivity and helps insure your tank is disease free.
Old 07/26/2007, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

I have read that SW acclimated mollies are resistant to ich and may even pick ich off other fish. Good thing is that almost all parasites and pathogens on them die in the acclimation period (assuming that it is kept in a freshwater system before being put in the tank) So very little worry about introducing anything bad if say you went to petco and just drip acclimate them for 4 hours like I did. They also graze nuisance micro-algaes. But they can be a aggressive and breed like crazy (yes, even in saltwater)

Dan

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 07/26/2007, 09:50 PM
living life 2 the fullest

What about cleaner wrasse's, will they eat ich?

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 07/26/2007, 10:05 PM
Team RC Member

THey may pick the bump off the fish, but the parasites in huge number may be in the sand, ready to infect other fish. Cleaners really don't do too much besides relieve the fish of a few---and may be help if it gets to the gills---but don't depend on any cleaner to solve your problem.
You can run a low-incidence tank by getting fish that don't get it readily. My problem with the notion that you can create an ich-free tank is that---once free---you can't get any new specimen of anything without running a risk. YOu can qt, and should: that's the be all and end all statement. Don't run a 'fish hotel' where you're constantly losing livestock and getting new things: if you lose fish, stabilize your tank's chemistry before adding anything, and qt what's coming in. Don't get ich-prone species during your first year when your tank is least stable---no one's going to listen to that, because everybody wants a clownfish, but I still say---wait. They're not the only fish in the sea, and they are disease-prone. Be sure you have good water with stable readings before you contemplate it.

Old 07/26/2007, 10:10 PM

Good deal i was just going to buy a cleaner wrasse anyways and thought they would help keep my fish in check, since i dont have ich knock on wood.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 07/27/2007, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by triggerfish1976
Due to the slime coats they produce at night fairy wrasses are pretty resiliant towards Crypto. Dragonets are another good choice as long as you have a tank that can sustain them.
Triggers have pretty big scales so they are not as prone to get Crypto as angels or tangs but they can still have problems.
My Labouti's, Pink-Margin and Lubbocks fairy wrasses all came down with bad cases of Ich. It was actually my female Labouti that introduced Ich into my Display tank. I called her Typhoid Mary as she pretty much wiped out half of my fish.

So I don't agree that fairy wrasse are resistant but I do agree that Mandarins are very resistant to Ich. Also my midas blenny was the only fish in my tank not to show signs of Ich so I would add them to the list.

Quote:
Originally posted by kevin2000
While some fish may have a higher resistance to ich that is no guarantee that they won't get ich (that includes Mandarins and every other fish mentioned in this thread) and if ich gets into your tank then your stuck trying to treat all your fish and then trying to eliminate the ich from your show tank which is frankly a major PIA.

QT all fish .. allows your fish to acclimate to captivity and helps insure your tank is disease free.
Excellent advise! I agree 100%!
Old 07/27/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Treating Ich is so old school...in a well mantained tank with cleaners and given proper nutrition this should never be an issue.....anyone care to argue.....I haven't qt'ed a fish in 4 years
Old 07/27/2007, 01:30 PM

Do you mean cleaners as in wrasse's or shrimp?

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 07/27/2007, 01:34 PM
old enough to know better

Neither cleaner shrimp or cleaner wrasses are considered effective against ich .. old myth that is hard to kill. Plenty of people have lost entire tanks to ich using "cleaners" (including the cleaner wrasses).