Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/23/2007, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

euro reef rs80 not what i thought

hi i have an rs80 skimmer that i cant seem to get tuned right. it either overflows or is too low and never produces any skimmate. my tank is a lightly stocked 58 gal corner with a 10 gallon sump with a mag 7 return pump. right now i think i have the skimmer set to where it should be but the riser tube on the gate valve is really noisy. how do i go about quieting the riser? also the bubble level is set about 3/4 inch inside the cups neck and the foam is reaching the lid but nothing makes it into the cup after a day or so. what do i need to do? also all this is set up with the gate valve about 3/4 closed and the air venturi about 1/4 closed or so. thanks
Old 07/23/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Most new skimmers don't produce foam for the first few hours or even first few days. Bubbles just break and no skimmate forms. Euroreef is a good skimmer just give it some time and feed the fish so there is protien to skim

Justin
Old 07/23/2007, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

Yes give the skimmer time to break in it usually takes about 2 weeks to get a skimmer to break in properly not to mention if you didnt cleaned it before putting it in your sump the oils from the acrylic and other manufacturing residue will take a bit of time to get cleaned out by your activated carbon also you have a very low bioload for the skimmer so dont expect too much skimmate from it if you want get a few more fish and feed them and you will see it working euro reef are very good skimmers.

Hope this helps
Nestor
Old 07/23/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

well the skimmer has been running for about 5 months. with no progress yet just more and more tuning every day to get it to not over flow. also does anyone know how to quiet the riser tube that is really noisy?
Old 07/23/2007, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

get rid of the riser tube and get a gate valve for it.IMO you can tune the skimmer much better with the gate valve.i also have a rs80 and did the gate mod day one,never had a tuning problem.
Old 07/23/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

i have the gate valve and the skimmer still doesnt make much skimmate. also it is super loud.i have opened the gate valve and closed it with no luck. im at the end of the rope with this thing. im tired of adjusting it everyday with no luck. the skimmer is in 6 inches of water the gate valve is adjusted and the air nozzle is adjusted and all i get is build up in the neck but nothing in the cup. once it builds up in the neck it seems to lose ability to get the foam past it.
Old 07/23/2007, 08:55 PM
Reefer

is it the old model with the riser tube or did it have the twist pipe? did you install the gate valve? also try raising your water level closer to 8 inches, mines performs much better with the deeper level.