Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/07/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Re: Re: This might be interesting to you guys

Quote:
Originally posted by HippieSmell
Wow, that's some nice pulsing action. Any more info on how that was done?
The pic controls the DC motor. It's like any other controller, with some basic C or assembly language skills, you can have that pic control when the motor turns on or off. Shouldn't be too hard to control voltage either.
Old 05/07/2007, 09:17 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Hmmm, I took a course in C++. I was horrible at it, but maybe I can do this. Where might I find this PIC? Are they expensive?

All statements have been peer reviewed.
Old 05/07/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

I think we can use 2 transformers, 12v and 24v, wire them parallel and to the pump. Plug both into Chauvet timer, select 2 channel and fast chase 1 sec. to 1 min, adjust the duration. Chauvet will switch between 24v and 12v and the pump will continuously run at 24v and 12v without stopping at all, great for for wave box. This is easiest way, imo.
http://www.audiolines.com/product.php?productid=16596
Old 05/07/2007, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

A great find, but isn't this the same as the powerstrip type wavemakers? Also will the fast on and off shorten the life of the transformers? I know the pump is on all the time so it should be ok.

Also will it be harmful connnecting two transformers in parrallel, one is live one is not, back and forth?

Last edited by jacmyoung; 05/07/2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07/21/2007, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

I know these are rated at aroung 4000gph on the top end. These put out more than 2 Hydor Koralia 4s for sure. I had two 4s on the left and this on the right and it pushed the water column pretty far towards the 4s basically meaning two 4s couldn't beat push it back on the high end. I think 3 might tie it as I added a Tunze 6045 and the flow started to even out in the middle of my tank, but was still being pushed towards the 3 pumps.

I also hacked the controller off and wired the brick directly to the pump. Oddly the transformer kicks zero volts out. It must need a specific load before it will push full voltage out... probably a safety feature. The transformer still will power the controller and the pump when wired back up. On my bench, I reved the pump up to 24v and it was pulling about 1300ma. Unfortunately I don't have a power supply that kicks out 24v at 1500ma that I can use to get this in my tank for long term testing. I plan on ordering one for $10 and see how long the pump will run full out. I did try it out at 12v with a PC power supply in a test tank I have and the pump fired right up but obviously at around half power.

Hope this helps... this pump has great potential and while it is big they did three things very right IMO. First, it is DC which means no worrying about prop running backwards if it is wired properly and it can be slowed down easily. Second, the pump is wide rather than tall. It has a reasonably slim profile as it is wider than tall. Lastly, the pump doesn't have any slots for intake water at the top which allows the pump to be closer to the surface without a vortech and sucking air into the pump. Nice if it were on a magnetic base, but you can pick up some strong acrylic coated magnets for 10-15 bucks.
Old 07/21/2007, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

Where can you get those magnets, I have one I would love to mount differently.

Jason
Old 07/21/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

For waveboxes you often need to set the timing to less than one second (depending on the size/shape of tank, position of wavebox). Furthermore, you need to have fine tunning ability for the timing - certainly within a tenth of a second, or better. I believe Melev's Reef has a diy timer that he rigged for a Tunze to make a wavebox. I'm sure it should work for this. It seems a little less hairy than the Chauvet method IMO.
Old 07/21/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Tenths of a second aren't hard with a microcontroller. I'm pretty certain I could figure it out. The problem is I don't want to buy their controller and pump, only to get the pump. It's a waste of money.
Old 07/21/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

I was wrong about the source. Here is the link to the schematics for the controller used:

http://ealex.aqua-web.org/wavebox/circuit.htm
Old 07/21/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Of course, this design would have to be modified to fit the Resun, but I think it gives the basic idea for those who are good with circuits (which I am not).
Old 07/22/2007, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BLANKENSHIP76
Where can you get those magnets, I have one I would love to mount differently.

Jason
http://www.mjmods.com/index.php?main...products_id=34
Old 07/22/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aninjaatemyshoe
I was wrong about the source. Here is the link to the schematics for the controller used:

http://ealex.aqua-web.org/wavebox/circuit.htm
It's a basic 555 timer. It's not nearly as accurate as what you can do with a microcontroller, but it's simple enough for anyone to understand.
Old 07/23/2007, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

for a magnet-

I used a sure grip 100 and slightly modified it to fit my Resun Waver-15000, works great. Super glued one of the mounts to the Resun.
Old 07/24/2007, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

hi could u share it with us ? Photos ? Etc.
Old 07/30/2007, 11:21 PM
><O>Euro-Reef*R*C500 <O><

im looking at getting 4 of these for my 150 what are your thoughts so far on these looks like pretty good on pump average on the wavemaker
Old 08/04/2007, 07:03 PM

any more opinions on this wavemaker
Old 08/04/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

After I fixed the problem with mine it has been running non-stop for the last 5 months.
I just wish the controller allowed for more adjustment.
I'd really like to run mine full blast for 2-3 minutes, rather than the max of around 10 seconds.
Old 08/04/2007, 07:48 PM

eastercoaster1 do you think these pumps really push the 39?? gph
Old 08/05/2007, 10:21 AM
Premium Member

A $10 24v 1500ma AC/DC transformer off ebay runs this thing full out all the time.

I don't think they push 4000gph or really close to it. They are probably around 3000gph, but that is still some monster flow for the price. Also while large, it isn't any bigger than other pumps that throw out that kind of flow.
Old 08/07/2007, 05:17 AM
Registered Member

I find it really hard to judge the flow from the stream style pumps.
The resun pushes more than a maxi-jet 1200 that I modded, but I doubt it's close to 4000 GPH. 2000-3000 is probably more accurate.
The real problem with these pumps is the limitations imposed by the controller. 3000 GPH is a lot of flow, but if the pump only does that much for 8 seconds, then that's not enough time to really get the tank water moving.
I’ve got a 120 and the flow from the pump doesn’t have a chance to get the water moving on the far end of the tank before the controller kicks the pump down to the lowest setting.
As Straegen suggested, I might just do away with the controller all together, but then I’d have a 3000 GPH pump that draws 30 watts. Not really all that efficient.

They aren’t bad pumps, especially for the money, but I think they are better suited for a smaller tank.
Old 08/07/2007, 10:15 AM
WOW, look at this one!

I've recently encountered a propeller sticking problem with one of the three I have. I turn then off during feeding and when I plug them back in only one needs a push with a finger to get it started again. Any thoughts? Maybe a cleaning. I haven't had them in for very long I would find it hard to believe they need to be cleaned already.

And remember you can always lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.
Old 08/07/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

I'd give it a cleaning and see if that helps. Maybe the pump sucked in something and it got wrapped around the impeller.
Old 08/07/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone found an equivalent pump (DC?) or found a place just to buy the pump yet?
Old 08/08/2007, 03:20 AM
Registered Member

Here is my dc picostream (the other is maxijet) about the size of small egg. It spins Dumas 1.25" prop easily, the flow is as strong as modded mj 600, I would say at least 600 gph.

Old 08/08/2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Huhhhhh
I've recently encountered a propeller sticking problem with one of the three I have. I turn then off during feeding and when I plug them back in only one needs a push with a finger to get it started again. Any thoughts? Maybe a cleaning. I haven't had them in for very long I would find it hard to believe they need to be cleaned already.
did you get it fixed yet.. did it just need cleaning?