Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Alabama Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/17/2007, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

Pet Depot

I dont know how many others already know but pet depot in decatur is no longer going to sell salt water fish. they are going to carry supplies just no fish.
Old 07/17/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

yea, they might be selling the 180 gallon bow front display tank that they have. If someone is interested they might want to check with them. At the time that i talked to them they were not 100% sure what they were gonna do with it, but that they were probably gonna sell it. Might get a good deal on it.

Every fight is a food fight, if you are a cannibal.
Old 07/18/2007, 01:11 AM
Pods are food NOT FRIENDS

That's great news!...

No more watching diseased fish die a slow horrible death.

I guess Petco will take over the saltwater business in Decatur. Maybe their business will pickup enough to make it worthwhile.
Old 07/18/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

Petco has some really good prices. I have bought several fish from there and i have not had one die yet. Wish i could say the same for pet depot. They do not carry a whole lot in the way of equipment, but anyplace you can buy a cleaner shrimp for 10.99 when everyone else wants 30.oo and it is healthy is worth a shot in my book.

Old 07/18/2007, 07:37 PM

I agree their prices are good and a lot of their stock comes from ORA.
Old 07/18/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

"I agree their prices are good and a lot of their stock comes from ORA."

Not true, all of their stock comes from Sun Pet out of Atlanta. Sun Pet sells cleaner shrimp wholesale for $12 to $18 each depending on size. $25 to $30 is a a fair price from a LFS. Petco chooses to sell certain items below wholesale as lost leaders. Don't blame your LFS. They have bills to pay and they should also be allowed to make a profit at the end of the day.

I have been assured by the folks at Sun Pet numerous times that Petco pays the same prices as LFS's do.
Old 07/18/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

That being said i have bought alot of fish and corals from alot of the LFS stores in the area. This is an expensive hobby and i have lost my share of livestock. Sometimes the only way to justify some of the loss is to take advantage of a good deal. The same could be said for the frag swaps. Some of these corals are ones that i would have purchased for alot more money had i not been able to acquire them from there. Hard to afford this hobby sometimes and catching a break now and then works for me.

Old 07/18/2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

i like petco had a few fish die from there though

i've seen cleaner shrimp $7 before it just depends on the wholesale company
Old 07/18/2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Salty•Doggy
Not true, all of their stock comes from Sun Pet out of Atlanta.
Wow. Interesting, I was told just yesterday that they get their stock from several different suppliers, one of which is ORA. I have also seen several references on RC that suggest the Petco chain in general buys "a lot" of its stock from ORA. I dunno, I'll see what I can find out.
Old 07/18/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

$30 for a cleaner shrimp?? They sell for $18 in B'ham
Old 07/18/2007, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking that AD had them for 29.99. But i know that pet depot does.

Old 07/18/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Sarris had them for 18, but its prob been a month since I've seen one in there, maybe the price has gone up.
Old 07/18/2007, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

I kinda go where ever I get the itch to go on that day but it seems that I spend more money at coral reef in athens than anywhere else, not saying I havent bought from petco or pet depot cause I have and like everyone else I have lost my fair share of things but it would be nice to actualy have a real shop here and not a little bit of everything store.
Old 07/18/2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by prncalbrt
... it would be nice to actualy have a real shop here and not a little bit of everything store.
Agree 100%. I would rather have a real LFS instead, but as it stands, Petco is Decatur's surrogate LFS. I loved the days of Pets by Marie and Fish-N-Stuff. Ancient history though...

But having lost an athletic shoe store to WalMart and Footlocker, I feel the pain of the LFS owner. Mom and Pop operations have a hard time competing with central warehouses and volume purchasing.
Old 07/19/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Price is still the same but supply is down. Sarris distributor ordered 1000 and got 100!
Old 07/20/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

Petco does get some of it's livestock from ORA. Although most of it does come from sunpet. It gets all of its tank raised clowns and such from ORA. Their liverock is from Walt Smith Aquaculture.
No company secret there.

In my opinion, Sunpet is very hit and miss on their quality. Sometimes its awesome, sometimes not so awesome.

Petco does amaze me with very low prices on livestock, but if you look at their dry good prices you find out where they make it up.

Just my .02

Jeremy