Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Alabama Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/18/2007, 01:17 AM
Pods are food NOT FRIENDS

Collonistas...

Does anyone have any Collonistas(about halfway down the page) they wouldn't mind parting with?

From what I have read they multiply to the point of being a pest, but I want them anyway.
Old 07/18/2007, 06:22 AM
Registered Member

Hi Chris,

I have Collonista snails in my 120G. A lot of tiny ones show up on the front glass early in the morning while the room is still dim. Most of them are so tiny that it's hard to pick off without crushing them. I suspect the larger ones are there, too, but more on rocks. If I manage to collect some, I will let you know. I got them from Lucy's Lagoon a couple of years ago. One of their tank and the liverock tank in the back were full of them. I don't know if they still have them.

Tomoko
Old 07/18/2007, 06:41 AM

That sounds good Tomoko, win or lose I appreciate it. Thanks.

If you are successful, maybe I can get them from you at Will's on the 28th.

I may make a trip to Huntsville and check out Lucy's Branch too. I haven't been there in a couple of years...
Old 07/18/2007, 06:54 AM
Registered Member

I found three adults in my 120 near the surface. I can keep them in my pico tank and give them to you at Will's or we might be able to meet in Decatur during lunch time or something? I still have your ceramic plugs, too.

Tomoko
Old 07/18/2007, 12:36 PM

Great thanks!

I'm actually off all day tomorrow so I can meet you anywhere at anytime that's convenient or I could even meet you at Toray(the gate I guess) in the morning.

?
Old 07/18/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Can you pm your cell phone number to me so I can tell you if I am successful in getting the snails back out of the tank? The ones I put into my pico tank took off and hid themselves somewhere in the rocks really well already this morning. I should be able to collect a few more from the big tank tomorrow morning, but larger ones do not always come up to where I can find them.

It would be most convenient if I can meet you at the gate. I am usually here between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm. I will PM you my work number.

Tomoko
Old 07/18/2007, 04:29 PM
Fish Yenta

The easiest way to catch them is with a flashlight about 1 hour after lights out. They are nocturnal, and they know when the lights are about to come on!

Alternately, if you have a cryptic area of your fuge, they tend to be out and about more. Or if you have small socks you can pick up and turn over, sometimes you'll find them underneath and not wedged in a hole .
Old 07/18/2007, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the ideas, Nicole.

They are so small and my 120 is tall for them to climb. A bunch of wee little ones are always near the bottom of my tank after dark, but I end up crushing them trying to peel them off the glass. These little guys seem to bury themselves in the sand. I see them in the sand substrate near the surface and under rocks and rubbles.

I have to go after those larger ones that manage to come up to the area that I can easily pick them off. By 6:00 am they are often there. I am afraid that it takes awhile for them to get up there since I don't see them until really late or wee hours of the morning.

Tomoko