Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater Iowa Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/09/2007, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Question Cedar Rapids/Iowa City Activities

Question for the BOD members... What's the status of the official Cedar Rapids/Iowa City representation of the group?

I haven't seen much out of the CR/IC BOD members in several months and we didn't have any activity last month at all.

For that matter, even Des Moines and the Quad Cities seem pretty quite. Only Waterloo has any real activity going on.

Whaaaaaaaaaazzzzz up!!!

-JB
Old 07/09/2007, 09:40 PM
Losing again! NEXT YEAR!

The summer months always seem to slow down in the club. Everyone seems to get too busy doing other things. I know my tank has been pretty neglected the last month. Been trying to get it back on track now since it's been so unbearable outside to do anything.
Old 07/09/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

I know that people (myself included) are pretty busy in the summer, but the CR/IC BOD members seem to be totally MIA.

-JB

www.greateriowareefsociety.org
Old 07/09/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

Re: Cedar Rapids/Iowa City Activities

Quote:
Originally posted by jbrunken
Question for the BOD members... What's the status of the official Cedar Rapids/Iowa City representation of the group?

I haven't seen much out of the CR/IC BOD members in several months and we didn't have any activity last month at all.

For that matter, even Des Moines and the Quad Cities seem pretty quite. Only Waterloo has any real activity going on.

Whaaaaaaaaaazzzzz up!!!

-JB

haha i was about to be like... *** we're active, then i remembered that i'm only on the BOD of the www.iowaaquaria.com and GIRS has a separate one
Old 07/09/2007, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

LOL, yeah iowaaquaria seems to be really active in the Des Moines area for the freshwater stuff... Not so much for the salt from what I can tell.

The EIAA here in Cedar Rapids is very active the the Freshwater side of things as well, but they do very little saltwater related stuff either.

-JB

Old 07/09/2007, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

LOL jeeze JB getting twitchy......I'm pretty sure that Fawn just popped out that pretty little girl she posted a few weeks ago and I think Patrick found the perfect job.....the pudding factory. Other than that it is usually pretty crappy trying to plan things for summer, everyone wants to get out with family and friends, the heat is always a huge issue, and most people are so busy they barely look at there tanks. I'm thinkin you should sit back in the ac and think of all those frags you can bring me from the f&s tour.....I figure you can send us pics on the cell phone and we'll just have f&s box them all up and ship them here.....whatcha think?
Old 07/09/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

LOL, that works for me.

Old 07/09/2007, 11:02 PM
metalheadreefnerd

I think thats a good idea too..........

Old 07/10/2007, 03:12 AM
Registered Member

I live in Cedar Rapids and haven't had an aquarium set up for two years or been to any meetings in that time. I used to go when it first started. Now that we finally have our own house here in Cedar Rapids, I'm planning on getting something set up within a year, hopefully sooner.
Old 07/10/2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

well everyone can come out to my house in mt vernon and plan my new fish tank room and tank stand design.

I think that sounds like a good idea :>
Old 07/10/2007, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

What about Des Moines?? What about any other area other than Waterloo?? Seems like it is a Waterloo club now
Old 07/10/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

Them folks in the W/CF area are just too good for those of us in other parts of the state.

I am new to all this so I have no idea what events happen where. I would be happy to host a BBQ sometime as long as everyone promises not to make fun of my tank!
Old 07/10/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

The GIRS is welcome to come down to the IAA swap on August 5th at the Blank Park Zoo and swap frags, couple of you guys split a table and come on down, there's raffles and something for everyone

http://iowaaquaria.com

http://iowaaquaria.com/Treasurer/IAA..._Swap_Meet.jpg
Old 07/10/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Just to make a somewhat obvious point, it's not the fault of the Waterloo BOD or the Waterloo members that Waterloo area is very active.

I guess the original point of my post was not to complain that too much stuff was going on in Waterloo, but rather that not enough stuff is going on elsewhere. As I see it, it's up to the BOD from those areas to get the ball rolling.

-JB

Old 07/10/2007, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

I wish there was more going on the DM area.

I stopped by Adam's the other day to check out their selection now...he's got a really nice Maze Brain, couple of good size Fox's, and nice Bubble, and a couple of pretty sweet Open Brains.

Then I went to the other place...and they still have...nothing.

It's like a coral desert in DM...
Old 07/10/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reeffreak1
I wish there was more going on the DM area.

I stopped by Adam's the other day to check out their selection now...he's got a really nice Maze Brain, couple of good size Fox's, and nice Bubble, and a couple of pretty sweet Open Brains.

Then I went to the other place...and they still have...nothing.

It's like a coral desert in DM...
adam's is cool and all, but seriously $89 for some brown button polyps?
Old 07/10/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

Now see, I can't argue on the steepness of their prices. They're a bit extreme to me. But at least they have something to actually sell...

Every time I got to the "other" place, they have nothing at all. A couple of softies, some mushrooms, maybe a clam or two...that's about it.
Old 07/10/2007, 04:43 PM
Losing again! NEXT YEAR!

If you guys want to try and get something going in your area, go for it! Obviously Patrick and Fawn must be pretty busy now, and Ryan from the Des Moines area I know was moving or something? So if any of you guys/gals want to step up to the plate and have a little get together or something please do!

I just ask one favor and that's to post it here so I can come too!
Old 07/10/2007, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

I think Covey was looking for disc golf buddies in the QC area. Historically the club does pretty much shut down for the couple months the kids are out of school though.... Family trips and the HEAT... I personally have been MIA due to birth of our son, graduating from Palmer, and now planning a move, new home, and business. Man I hope the fall slows things down a bit.
Old 07/10/2007, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Atticus
I think Covey was looking for disc golf buddies in the QC area. Historically the club does pretty much shut down for the couple months the kids are out of school though.... Family trips and the HEAT... I personally have been MIA due to birth of our son, graduating from Palmer, and now planning a move, new home, and business. Man I hope the fall slows things down a bit.
Congratulations Travis. Hope all is well with the family addition.
Old 07/10/2007, 10:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pygmey
What about Des Moines?? What about any other area other than Waterloo?? Seems like it is a Waterloo club now
I'd just like to say again we can't make people get involved. The waterloo area seems to have alot of involvement, but this club is by no means waterloo based, or just about waterloo. Beleive me I was the involvement level was high everywhere and hopfully we can get it that way. We've got a frag auction in davenport hopfully everyone that can make it will, we have plans to invite some of our friends in the rockford area and also some of our friends from uberfrags dot com. Should be a good time.
Old 07/11/2007, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

Ok, so who in the CR/IC area is interested in some kind of a get together (pizza or something) if I organize it?

-JB

Old 07/12/2007, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

Sorry guys, but having a baby has kept me pretty busy I try and lurk here a little bit most every day, but having a little one here makes it hard to post much or think about activities for the club That's why Patrick and I agreed to share the job, as I knew I'd be pretty busy with the baby........... I'll PM him and see what he's been up to and if he has any ideas for the summer. I'm willing to help organize whatever, but I would definetly need help with whatever we end up doing
Old 07/18/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jbrunken
Just to make a somewhat obvious point, it's not the fault of the Waterloo BOD or the Waterloo members that Waterloo area is very active.

I guess the original point of my post was not to complain that too much stuff was going on in Waterloo, but rather that not enough stuff is going on elsewhere. As I see it, it's up to the BOD from those areas to get the ball rolling.

-JB
hey I would get thing rolling more in our area but My NEW JOB @ swiss valley farms has me working six days a week and some double shifts. On top of all that my wife has been in the hospital. they are talking that in a few weeks we MAY be back to five days a week. I will TRY to keep everybody posted.
Old 07/18/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Hey Wenzoo, no worries. Just good to know that you're still around and haven't gotten out of the hobby or something (which seems to be the trend lately it seems).

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your wife and I hope she's doing OK.

-JB