Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/05/2007, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

Inverts

I had my tank for 3 years and when I started out I can see crabs snails from the live rocks now, none of them are left. Any ideas what it can be due. Furthermore, my tank ph is actually at 9 which is very high.
Old 07/05/2007, 07:55 AM
Premium Member

With a pH at 9, which you note is high, your other water-quality measurements may well also be off and so the inverts suffered from those conditions. What are your readings currently for nitrates, calcium and alkalinity?
Old 07/05/2007, 08:04 AM
Premium Member

A ph of 9? What are your other water parameters? For me, my snail population tends to dwindle over time. So, I usually have to add to my cleanup crew when I notice the decline.
Old 07/05/2007, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates < 3 ppm

the rest I never measure ( I hope I am not wrong ) because I don't have corals, only live rocks and fish.
Old 07/05/2007, 09:09 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Wait, I have never seen a pH in SW ever get that high....never seen it above 8.4...only with african cichlids that like it that high....how old is your test kit? it could be bad..try testing with other kits, maybe at your LFS...its worth a shot....if not....do you add any kind of pH/alkalinity buffers? if so, you might be adding too much, ....
Old 07/05/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

the ph kit I use is quite old already and never use for a while, may be expired.
Old 07/05/2007, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

Can you give more info on your tank, like what kind of lighting, do you have a protein skimmer, what kind of waterflow is there, etc?
Old 07/05/2007, 11:40 AM

If its that old, it sure as well could be bad.....try with a different test....
Old 07/05/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

the kit is fine, I tested with pure water and the ph is right. 9 ph of my tank !

here are the parameters that I have

salinity 1.025

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate <3 ppm

50gal tank

800lph powerhead

80w PC lights with 3 years tubes.

Fish and live rocks only setup. If need more parameters tell me and I will get the extra kits.

Last edited by boxerzz; 07/05/2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07/05/2007, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

tupes/ bulbs should be changed at least every year. crabs will eat snails if they have no other food, eels, nasty wrasses eat crabs, I have to add both on a quarterly basis, it is a food chain, snails die, no algie, crabs eat snails, they all die unless you add stuff for them, it is a food chain cycle!!!!!
Bob
Old 07/06/2007, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

I see, but what about the ph ?
Old 07/06/2007, 07:59 AM

LOW CARBON DIOXIDE!!!! check this out..i went researching for you....

here is a solution for it...
(from website)
A. Direct addition of carbon dioxide. Bottled soda water (seltzer) can be used to instantly reduce aquarium pH. Be sure to select unflavored soda water, and check the ingredients to be sure it doesn't contain anything that should be avoided (phosphate, etc). Many manufacturers list water and carbon dioxide as the only ingredients.

I recommend adding 6 mL of soda water per gallon of tank water to reduce pH by about 0.3 units. Add it to a high flow area away from organisms (such as in a sump). The local pH where it first is added will be very low. Going about this procedure slowly is better than proceeding too fast. If you do not have a sump, add it especially slowly. Some soda water may have more, or less, carbon dioxide in it, and the lower the aquarium's alkalinity, the larger will be the pH drop. Also, the higher the pH, the smaller will be the pH drop, because the buffering of seawater declines steadily as the pH drops from about 9 to 7.5.

and here is the site....

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...hf/index.php#6
Old 07/06/2007, 08:26 AM
CMAS Member

Quote:
Originally posted by camocustom
LOW CARBON DIOXIDE!!!! check this out..i went researching for you....

here is a solution for it...
(from website)
A. Direct addition of carbon dioxide. Bottled soda water (seltzer) can be used to instantly reduce aquarium pH. Be sure to select unflavored soda water, and check the ingredients to be sure it doesn't contain anything that should be avoided (phosphate, etc). Many manufacturers list water and carbon dioxide as the only ingredients.

I recommend adding 6 mL of soda water per gallon of tank water to reduce pH by about 0.3 units. Add it to a high flow area away from organisms (such as in a sump). The local pH where it first is added will be very low. Going about this procedure slowly is better than proceeding too fast. If you do not have a sump, add it especially slowly. Some soda water may have more, or less, carbon dioxide in it, and the lower the aquarium's alkalinity, the larger will be the pH drop. Also, the higher the pH, the smaller will be the pH drop, because the buffering of seawater declines steadily as the pH drops from about 9 to 7.5.

and here is the site....

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...hf/index.php#6

...or do a big water change and aim a PH at the surface.

-=E=-
Old 07/06/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

thank you guys very much, I will do what I can.