Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/30/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justinl
for a non display tank, it sure does look great! man i love that ornate boxfish. do you collect wild or is most of your livestock bought from suppliers?

I plan on a coldwater reef too and i was wondering how aggressive the strawberry anemones were. I know the little white club tips are filled with nematocysts, but how bad are they on other temperate corals?

also have you ever tried the larger anemones? like giant green or white spotted rose anem?

Some things are purchased (the Tasmania stuff)....and the rest I collected. As stated above, I do have two tanks...... and about six months ago, I put all the larger anemones in the smaller tank by themselves since they are so voracious (they originally were in the large tank). They would certainly capture all my seahorses and boxfish......and my seahorses and boxfish really need the larger tank. I posted pics of them on past threads....I just haven't gotten around to taking new pics of their tank. As for the strawberries....they do have a powerful sting; but, they appear to be no threat to anything. Here is an old pic of the larger anemones in case you missed those older threads...

Old 06/30/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

i agree,great looking tanks/animals.i seen some cold water tanks at the seattle aquarium,very interesting stuff.keep it up and maybe you could write a cold water reef book in the future. :P
nice job
Old 06/30/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Very Nice

www.smmas.org
Old 07/01/2007, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

Long Beach Aquarium has some really nice Cold Water Reefs.
Old 07/01/2007, 12:59 AM
Buttfish Pioneer

Where do you buy the livestock for a cold water reef. Most stores/dealers subject the inhabitants to tropical conditions. Do you slowly acclimate them back, or where do you get them?

AWESOME SYSTEM!
-A

Ah, sorry, I didn't read long enough. You collect them Do you need a permit for that?
Old 07/01/2007, 01:13 AM
Huge Member

Amazing...

Now I want another tank...

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 07/01/2007, 06:56 AM
Registered Member

Amazing as usual Steve! I've always loved your tanks. Thanks for the update.

~Dee~
Old 07/01/2007, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

Was very interested to hear that you sourced some of your livestock from Tasmania. I was under the impression that all marine enviroments were protected off the Tasmanian coast. If there is a local collector currently exporting livestock could you possibly PM me there details.
I have dived off the west and southern coasts of Tassie many times and to be able to set up a tank to to mimic these enviroments would be very appealing.
Old 07/01/2007, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ozfish
Was very interested to hear that you sourced some of your livestock from Tasmania. I was under the impression that all marine enviroments were protected off the Tasmanian coast. If there is a local collector currently exporting livestock could you possibly PM me there details.
I have dived off the west and southern coasts of Tassie many times and to be able to set up a tank to to mimic these enviroments would be very appealing.

There are several exportors out of Tassie and Southern Australia. The problem is that....although they will sell to individuals....you'll need to order several boxes to make the shipping costs worthwhile. You'll also need to contract with a broker in Los Angeles to recieve the shipment, get it through customs, and place it on a domestic flight (not cheap either). There have been lately though, several warm water retailers in the US that have been importing Tassie critters.....Liveaquaria for one. Here's a link to one cold water collector in Tassie. Their usual clients are public aquariums....but, they do have a list that is available to the public too.

http://www.aquaticbiodiversitygroup.com.au/

Edit.....oops....I see you're in Australia. In that case, it should be easy for you. Their "available to the public" list is extensive.

Last edited by steveweast; 07/01/2007 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07/01/2007, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Newreeflady

Ah, sorry, I didn't read long enough. You collect them Do you need a permit for that?

Yes you do.....and you need to stay out of the protected areas. The permits are also for personal use only.....no commercial ventures.
Old 07/01/2007, 08:17 AM
Nano Reefer

Beautiful! Always love to see the coldwater setups
Old 07/01/2007, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
There are several exportors out of Tassie and Southern Australia. The problem is that....although they will sell to individuals....you'll need to order several boxes to make the shipping costs worthwhile. You'll also need to contract with a broker in Los Angeles to recieve the shipment, get it through customs, and place it on a domestic flight (not cheap either). There have been lately though, several warm water retailers in the US that have been importing Tassie critters.....Liveaquaria for one. Here's a link to one cold water collector in Tassie. Their usual clients are public aquariums....but, they do have a list that is available to the public too.
Many thanks Steve!
Old 07/01/2007, 08:48 AM
Moved In

Absolutely beautiful.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 07/01/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Simply stunning!
Old 07/01/2007, 04:34 PM
Moved On

Amazing, I love the cold water idea tanks....Just do not have the time for it...If you have more, would be great to see...
Old 07/03/2007, 11:06 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
Awesome tank Steve. We're still in mourning, however it's just amazing all the things you have going on. You're an amazing and dedicated asset to our hobby and community. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07/03/2007, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

Superb tank Steve- the colours are so vibrant and dynamic.
kudos for the effort!
Old 07/03/2007, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

WOW that tank is awesome, everything looks pretty amazing!
Old 07/04/2007, 12:01 AM
Aquarium Addict

Very very cool!! (Pun intended) LOL!!!
Old 07/04/2007, 12:50 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steveweast
Yes you do.....and you need to stay out of the protected areas. The permits are also for personal use only.....no commercial ventures.
In CA you have to go by the F&G laws for sport fishing, ie. size mins are in effect and many species are off limits (and you can't sell them). In the next year a large chunk of the waters of my section of the coast will be off limits to this type of collecting. Also, anemonies and such are not listed in the CA Sports regs so they're off limits. There is no real "sport" or "commercial" collection permit in CA. No brittle stars, starfish, etc
Old 07/04/2007, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!

So many species of anemones!

----------
I am my Father's Daughter.....reef wise...
Old 07/04/2007, 02:54 AM

Very, very cool tanks Steve. Pun intended.

Question: Has curiosity caused you to fragged a small chunk off of the strawberry anemones to see how well (or how long) they fare in your warm water system?
Old 07/04/2007, 05:29 AM
Registered Member

Those pics are stunning! What a gorgeous tank!
Old 07/04/2007, 06:16 AM
Chillin'

Quote:
Originally posted by steveweast
So in other words if I wanted to pay you to collect some so I could start my own aquarium I would be SOL?

War does not determine who is right but only who is left.

Cody
Old 07/04/2007, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

I couldn't setup a cold water tank if I want to. Cali. is to hot all the time.

Nice tank