Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/30/2007, 04:05 PM
It tastes like burning

Any shallow/short tanks?

Going with a shallow or short tank has piqued my interest. Rather than a typical 24" to 36" tall tank, have a tank that is 10" to 12" tall.

Are there any experiences or thoughts on this type of tank?

I was thinking along the lines of 72x24x10 for a coral tank. One advantage would be lighting.

Would there be many issues? I'm looking for any kind of feedback.
Old 06/30/2007, 06:41 PM
It tastes like burning

ba-bump
Old 06/30/2007, 06:57 PM
Zoanthid collector

That would be fine for corals that don't grow upwards too much (zoas/rics etc...) I would think SPS would grow to the surface too quick.

Lots of frag tank use the 10 high
Old 06/30/2007, 08:12 PM
Premium Member

I just got a custom 48" x 24" x 20" tall tank. (roughly 100 gal).

I got tired of having to stand on a stool to reach the bottom of my tank.

I still need to build a stand for it, so I'm a ways off from putting anything into it yet.
Old 06/30/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Second that, works for frags but probably too short for a grow-out SPS tank. Also consider that you'll HAVE to have an ATO as a tank of that large a footprint will quickly evaporate and drop in water height (which will already be somewhat low). Aside from those issues and the aesthetic issue of not having a good side view tank IMO, no other problems that I can think of. It will pretty much ensure great oxygenation and will probably be easier to provide good flow.
Old 07/01/2007, 06:25 AM
Unregistered Member

I have a 36x36x10 tank and it is the favorite of all my tanks. I have had the typical 75, 90, 120, and 200 and I like the shallow one the best. This tank is also all black acrylic top down view only.
I dont really care for sticks but if you wanted to do SPS there are plenty of lateral growing kind as well. good luck
Old 07/01/2007, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

Plate corals would be great for such a system.
Old 07/01/2007, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

check this out .. this is my borthers tank
i accidently put 30g long its a 33g long i dont know how deep but its 4 feet x 12 inches tall

heres a vid

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t...=ryan_0001.flv

X.....................................

Click the house for my thread
Old 07/01/2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Shallow is cool

ledford1 I have the tank you are thinking about....
This is 72L x 24W x 11Deep.
actinic...

ONE halide lamp on

I would like to have it just a tad deeper, maybe 15 inches but 12" would be great for just 'frags'. I have a green slimer and another unknown acro that are about to the surface. hmm.... I have plate corals getting close too.
The tank has been going about 2 years (I think). It really was supposed to be "just a frag tank for now, honey" but as the pictures show, I am full- out of room- no vacancy.
So my thoughts on a long term shalow depth tank?
-Different look.
-Evap issues! I burn 3gal a day sometimes and I still have yet to get an ATO system (5gal bucket on the ole' bar stool w/ some airline hose)
-Lighting could probably be reduced to 175 halides or even t-5s. You would need to play w/ the numbers. I have a PFO fixture (3) 250 DE (unkown make-I dont even use all three lamps, just the center)10k + 2 VHO actinic lamps.
I think 250w over 12" of water is about the upper limit.
*my lighting causes issues w/heat trying to keep 82-83.
No chiller.Creative use of fans.

-Flow? I have a Panworld 1200 gph non presure rated pump going through 3/4 pipe returning in two locations from the top rear of the tank- AWSOME ripples on the surface! I use two Seio 620s on each end. All the flow crashes in the middle and its not bad. I would like to add a couple more bulkheads in the rear towards he bottom. I had sand,and green algea problems for me then. Got rid of the sand and have coraline algea problems now

Over-all, we all know its a personal thing. I am setting up a 240 that will hold all my larger corals and fish but I will keep this shallow tank going for fraging and grow-outs.
You could do some awsome stuff with flat growing type corals like zoas, shrooms, blastos, acans, favias, plates (montiporas).
I see visions of a rolling hills sort of bottom covered in colonial mats, with different plate corals here and there....