Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/29/2007, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

Kalkwasser Reactor vs Calcium Reactor

What is the difference between Kalkwasser Reactor and Calcium Reactors???

Some people say that both are the same, providing calcium, and using one or the other is enough.

Some people say that both are different ... Calcium Reactor giving calcium, and magnesium (with magnesium media inserted), while the Kalkwasser Reactor gives out calcium, and KH. So BOTH must be used at the same time.

This is soooo confusing.
Old 06/29/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Calcium reactors inject much more Ca into the tank, but at the expense of PH (the optimal PH in the reactor is 6.5). The Kalk reactor injects a lesser amount of Calcium, but increases KH (buffers against PH swings), and is at a higher PH. The Kalk reactor compensates for the PH loss of the Ca reactor. For really large tanks, both is the only way to go (or heavy SPS). For smaller tanks and lesser loads (more softies, new), the Kalk is ok by itself, or you can even use 2 part liquid to dose calcium.

In the end, it all really depends on your system. You sig says a 300g tank, so your setup would probably require both for efficiency. I have a 75g, and I only use Kalk. but I don't have SPS either, so that is something to consider. HTH

1-75g FW Planted
1-55g African Cichlid
1-125g w/ 4 turts
1-75g RR Reef
1-12g NC Mantis, 1-12g AP Brittle Star
2-cats
2-dogs (1 Catahoula Leopard Mix & 1 Shepherd Mix)
Old 06/29/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Thanks!! I'm really new to this. Assuming that I am using BOTH ...

Some say that I should hook the Calcium reactor to directly to the Kalk reactor to nutralise the ph swing.

However, some say to hook both seperately to the sump. Calcium reactor to run in the day time only, and Kalk reactor to run during the night.

Please advice.
Old 06/30/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

So, those with both reactors ... how do you guys hook them up??
Old 06/30/2007, 12:23 PM
Generic Member

Ca reactor uses salt water from your system. Kalk reactor uses fresh water top off. IMO and IME, I prefer to just mix the kalk in the topoff water and skip the reactor.
Old 06/30/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

You definitely do not want to run aquarium water through your kalk reactor. You will precipitate out a lot of things such as magnesium. Only run top off water through your kalk reactor. Then just set up your calcium reactor like normal.
FB
Old 07/01/2007, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

OK ... BTY, I was adviced to use RO top off water rather than tank water to feed into the calcium reactor ... will this be better??

Also with both reactors, should I run 1 at night & the other during day to stabilise PH??
Old 07/01/2007, 12:02 AM
Generic Member

I think that is wrong.
Old 07/01/2007, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

OOOKKKK ... looks like I'm not getting very good advice from the LFS here!!!

I was told that if tank water is used, the calcium reactor might "crash" if the pump is not running. Somthing about bacteria population dying without water flow. Also, RO water is "pure", so more calcium will dissolve. Sounds resonable when I heard it.

Soooo, running tank water rather than RO water through calcium reactor is recommended, right? Just out of curiousity, why is it wrong to use RO water??