Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/20/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Sea Turtles

Have any of you had any success with sea turtles in your tanks?

I am considering getting a small one in my 75 gal reef. Are there any species that stay small enough that I could permanently keep one in a 75?
Old 06/20/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

is this a joke?
Old 06/20/2007, 02:41 PM
OSU Who?Catch Me If U Can

This would be a huge negative...
Old 06/20/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

This isn't a joke. Why negative? Is it that they are all too big? How is it any different than keeping freshwater turtles as a kid?
Old 06/20/2007, 02:52 PM
Slightly Obsessed

"The Leatherback Sea Turtle is the largest, measuring six or seven feet (2 m) in length at maturity, and three to five feet (1 to 1.5 m) in width, weighing up to 1300 pounds (600 kg). Most other species are smaller, being two to four feet in length (0.5 to 1 m) and proportionally less wide."

That's probably why it's a negative.
Old 06/20/2007, 02:56 PM
Go Gators!

Well their are no small sea turtles suited to a 75 gallon. Actually no sea turtle would EVER be suited to a 75. Their better just left in the oceans or aquariums. Freshwater turtles are way smaller than any sea turtles, and I did keep red eared sliders for a while. So they all get to big and I have no idea where you could even by one. Probably have to have a permit or something.
Old 06/20/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

plus last time i checked, not that this would stop anybody from doing anything but i thought it was highly illegal?
Old 06/20/2007, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

I would leave all sea turtles to the sea anything you would get would be a baby and not fair to confine to an aquarium.imo that is
Old 06/20/2007, 02:59 PM
Go Gators!

Quote:
Originally posted by ghostrida3
plus last time i checked, not that this would stop anybody from doing anything but i thought it was highly illegal?
Probably because most if not all sea turtles are protected.
Old 06/20/2007, 03:03 PM
OSU Who?Catch Me If U Can

Der Iron Chef is right on the dot, thats why it is a huge negative...
Old 06/20/2007, 03:04 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Sea Turtles are definatley protected, everywhere in the US, some guy came to me and told me that he had some, I immediatly called Fish and Game, and he got in some serious trouble.... In Fact, you arent allowed anywhere near their nests....
Old 06/20/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

yup, sea turtles should NEVER be kept in a tank. only time i could stand having one in a tank is if it's at a public aquarium or research facility that is only there temporarily or there for special reasons (rescued or something).
Old 06/20/2007, 03:52 PM
Nothing to put here

Yeah, they are all protected, and they get about the size of a 75 gallon tank.
Old 06/21/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

camocustom why do you have to be such a narc? That isn't cool. It's just a turtle. come on man.
Old 06/21/2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

stillcity, I really hope you're just yanking our chains!!!
Old 06/21/2007, 10:38 AM
master of junk mail

Because the law is there to protect the wildlife. What isn't cool is that someone tries to keep a wild animal they can't accomodate for their own pleasure.
But knowing that's your attitude "It's just a .....", maybe you ought to rethink your place in this hobby.
Old 06/21/2007, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
camocustom why do you have to be such a narc? That isn't cool. It's just a turtle. come on man.
That attitude is what got them in the position they are in today in the first place. Camocustom did the right thing and I think the majority of others here would do the same.

Lisa
Old 06/21/2007, 10:53 AM

this goes to stillcity First of all, When it comes to protecting wildlife, if i had to choose between some guy, or endangerd sea turtles, what do you think. Remember, we all wouldnt be here right now if it wasnt for our surroundings IE, wildlife, trees, animals, we depend on these creatures on a daily basis, its rediculous how ignorant and inconsiderate some people can be. I dont know about the rest of the people that have posted on here...Im still young, getting married next year, and eventually will have kids, i want my kids to enjoy our wild habitats the same way that i have.....stillcity, people like you dont deserve to have even goldfish in your possesion. Ignorant, foolish people. And thank you to everybody that backed that statement up....

quote:camocustom why do you have to be such a narc? That isn't cool. It's just a turtle. come on man.

Just a turtle my ***, lets put you in a tank, its just a human...
Old 06/21/2007, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

Just when you think that you have heard it all.......

I am marking this one one for later reference!
I will talk to you guys later...

I have to go check out my new baby Great White I put in my nano cube......
Old 06/21/2007, 11:14 AM

Taking or having in your possession any part of these threatened or endangered turtles is a felony, with fines ranging up to $20,000. Thats our law here in Florida, and sometimes even jail time....if you are still confused or just dumb, check it out yourself....Endangered Species Act, 16 U.S.C. 1538.....
http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusfd16usc1531.htm
Old 06/21/2007, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

You can't even have the remains of one. If caught with any remains you can face the same penalty as if it was alive.
Old 06/21/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

This is crazy. You actually think the guy should go to jail for posessing a sea turtle? What if it was your brother or friend who just wanted to enjoy a pet? It's no different than having any other fish in a tank or a bird in a cage. This law is some arbitrary label thrown on by the government. Come on. Jail should be there for the folks who hurt people through violence, drugs, theft, or etc. People should just mind their own business.
Old 06/21/2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Ok I am back...
My Great White is doing great in my Cube! Now I have to run check on my Bottlenose Dolphin I have in my 46 gallon Bowfront....
Old 06/21/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Haha thats funny man.

I have no intention of hurting fish or getting a sea turtle knowing that there are none small enough for my tank. I just get upset with self-righteous jerks who think that a sea turtles are more important than people.
Old 06/21/2007, 11:45 AM

They were here first, thats the point! Humans are secondary species. Stillcity, where are you from? Have you had the oppertunity to see these creatures in their natural habitat? And as far as jail goes, its supposed to be punishment and discipline, there for idiots like you....they have been protected since i cant remember, havent you learned that? I still cant believe that the topic came up, there are these laws in place to protect them from people like you that will end up killing them in captivity, and then there won't be anymore around. That goes for all species of animals, they are endangerd/protected for a reason.....

These 2 eagles were shot by different poachers, OUR NATIONAL BIRD, shot by idiots wanting a trophy, because of people like me, they are still alive today, NOT ABLE TO FLY, but alive. Dont worry, it will all sink into your thick skull...