Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/17/2007, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Koralias and Bubble Tips

ok, I just had a senior moment.

I recently had to berak down my 120 gallon tank (moved) and moved back to a 30 gallon cube. I spent a lot of energy making sure the 120 was 'anemone safe' but when I setup the 30, I just put in the koralias.

Anyhow, in my senior moment, I was surfing found an absolutely gorgeous blood red bubble tip (really, its super super dark red) and snatched it up.

so...

now I have a gorgeous and quite expensive anemone on the way, and two spinning blades of death in the tank.

sheesh.

so, I am wracking my brain, and I can not think of a single way I can make the koralias safe for an anemone...

the best i can come up with is wrapping a sponge around the koralia's 'intake' slits.. but that still leaves the prop wide open.

I feel like such a dolt.
Old 06/17/2007, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

Might be pretty ugly, but could you build a faux wall or acrylic box around the PH. Mayber even use some gutter guard.
Old 06/17/2007, 08:55 PM
Single Chick

Maybe zip tie some of that plasic craft screen to it, or build it into a square and put it around the powerhead. I have a korrilla and I know the abot the odd design.No nems in my tank though. Good Luck.
Old 06/18/2007, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

so let me see if i have your idea right GP,

use plastic craft screen cut it up to create a box and zip tie it together to make a shield over the koralia...

that actually sounds like it could work. I will play around w/ some design ideas while at work today.
Old 06/18/2007, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

w/ powerheads, is it always an issue of the nem getting sucked in? are there known incidents of them fighting their way into a prop like a koralia has against the flow?

I am wondering if kraft screen around the intake would be enough?
Old 06/18/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

ok.. here is what i am thinking...

I am going to create cylinder to go around the back of the koralia leaving an inch or so between the koralia's intake screen, and the surface of the craft screen. then of course, there will be end caps on both front and back of craft screen as well, zip tied together.

On the front portion of the Koralia (that is removeable) i am thinking I will put the screen on the INSIDE, it's nature of wanting to return to form should hold it to the inner screen of the koralia like a spring trying to expand. i shouldnt have to zip tie the screen in, because if the anemone pushes on it, it will just stop the blade.. that is my hope. (assuming there is enough room for this on the inside, i can't remember.

the larger screen on the back should reduce any flow restriction going in, and while there will be restriction on the flow on the front screen, i am hoping it will just produce a stronger flow out the expose front vent. (enough the anemone won't be able to get in.)
Old 06/18/2007, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for posting this - I've been meaning to ask this question over here and will be following to see how it comes out. I'm considering adding two #4s to my new 90, but I've got 2 btas that will go in the tank.

Please post pictures of whatever you end up doing.
Old 06/18/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

sure thing.
Old 06/18/2007, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

The anemone comes in on thursday, so I am going to want the 'screens' installed before then.

I plan on picking up my materials tonight.

I am going to go ahead and soak the koralias in muratic acid before i work on them, since it's about time to clean them up anyhow.
Old 06/18/2007, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

i just lost a gbta to my koralia. this was in my nano. In my 90, the koralia's are high enough up where it hasnt presented a problem.
Old 06/18/2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

mdrumm,

thanks, i think your post might have been the one that got me thinking (in the pink anemone thread?)

anyhow, I have a oceanic cube so both koralia's are in the 'oops' range.
Old 06/18/2007, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

ok.. i successfully up-armored my koralias w/o reducing flow very much, or increasing their size that much as well.

I am going to take pictures of the second one tomorrow.

I found some egg shaped craft mesh (made for making needlepoint eggs or something) that fit the koralia 3's perfectly, like a glove! made the project super super easy!
Old 06/19/2007, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

I have dual koralia 1's on each side, but on more front corner not near any LR. Think removing these for a nite to let the BTA settle in would be more ideal then add the PH's back in after think BTA has found a spot to settle down?
Old 06/19/2007, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

i am going to shut down the koralias for the first night, infact, I am thinking of putting them on a timer after that.
Old 06/19/2007, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

just got the tunze nanostream. Might want to consider them as they are enclosed. But they put out a heck of a lot of flow!!!!)

Go Spurs Go (san antonian 2004-2006)
Old 06/19/2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

I originally wanted tunzes, but it was just taking to long to get them.

this tank is only going to be up for about a year, then I am going to buy a house and put a 3 or 4oo gallon tank in... so I am not going to invest in any more equipment if i don't have to... except a sump and overflow...
Old 06/19/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

I have Koralia power heads and have not had a problem. I did have my anemone find its way to one of the power-head when first put in the tank. All I did is take off the front cap that the anemone was attached to and placed that on the rock. After a while he moved off the power-head and onto a rock. I think the Koralias are actually pretty safe for the anemones because there is no big holes at the intake portion of the korilla. I would not stress so much
Old 06/19/2007, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

I found my anemone in pieces after it had found the koralia. smaller tank + koralias may equal trouble.
Old 06/19/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

spinning parts + anemones = potential problems no matter how careful you are.
Old 06/19/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

i have 2 koralia 3 and 1 koralia 4 in my 90. they produce great flow but alot of it. i cant seem to get my carpet anemone in a place where the flow isnt as great but at the same time create enough flow for every thing else. but in a larger tank i dont worry about my anemone actually getting close enough to the powerheads. is therea way to restrict there flow. they are great powerheads if they didnt keep blowing my anemone away. i can only run one 3 right now. any ideas?
Old 06/20/2007, 12:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iansfishy
i have 2 koralia 3 and 1 koralia 4 in my 90. they produce great flow but alot of it. i cant seem to get my carpet anemone in a place where the flow isnt as great but at the same time create enough flow for every thing else. but in a larger tank i dont worry about my anemone actually getting close enough to the powerheads. is therea way to restrict there flow. they are great powerheads if they didnt keep blowing my anemone away. i can only run one 3 right now. any ideas?
i am sorry my friend, but anemones DON'T blow away unless they are ill! How long have you had the anemone? What are your water parameters, lighting and etc.. I am sorry to say that the only anemone that I have had release into the current has died. Keep an eye out for any sign of desintigration, and COVER those powerheads being as you anemone is on the move!

Hopefully someone more experienced with carpets will chime in, as i have only kept other species....
Old 06/20/2007, 07:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RamPuppy
spinning parts + anemones = potential problems no matter how careful you are.

Anemone Sushi, i double dare you to try it
Old 06/20/2007, 03:21 PM
Single Chick

So did the idea work?? Any pics yet??
Old 06/21/2007, 12:50 PM
Moved On

cool thred pics?
Old 06/21/2007, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

ok, well these aren't the best pictures, but they give you an idea.

This was my first attempt, and it worked ok, but the guard up front practically obliterated the flow. (not much point then ehh?) so basically removed that guard leaving a single opening at the front, this restored it to what i would estimate to be about 80% of normal, which is good as the 3's were a little overpowered for my tank.

The front is made out of a preformed 'egg' that sells for about 2 bucks, the back is a circular disc of the same stuff. it's all zip tied together.

the front is easily detetatched for cleaning as normal, but cleaning under the guard will require removing zip ties.