Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/12/2007, 09:34 AM
party like it's 1499

13,000 gal sw display at bass pro shop

my wife and i went over to the new mega-store after a round of golf on sunday to check things out. much to my surprise we saw that the restaurant has a rather large saltwater display tank...to the tune of 13,000 gallons. as far as i'm concerned, this is the closest thing we have in the valley to a public sw aquarium (until the new zoo opens up out west anyway). rainforest cafe is cool, but this tank firmly rocks the casbah. it may go without saying that it is a fish only tank, but they've stocked it with some real beauties. the dimensions and layout of the tank were impressive too. if you can get past the fake coral decorations, this tank is truly a sight to behold.

the store also has a 25,000 gallon+ fw trophy fish tank that might drop a jaw or two as well.

on a bit of a side note, my wife and i thought it would be a good place to have a beer and meal since we just got off the golf course. we sat down reviewed the beer & wine list and politely ordered a couple of pints of brew from the waitress. that's when you hear that sound of the needle being abruptly flung accros the tracks of you favorite old record from 1974. NO LIQUOR LICENSE!!! like i said, we just got off the golf course so we wanted a freakin' drink! now, don't get me wrong. we're not a couple of alch'ies who need it bad just to get by, but if they aren't serving booze, then take the damn wine list off the table! rant over.

Last edited by slowradio; 06/12/2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06/12/2007, 10:11 AM
Premium Member

lol, that's just too funny, lol
Old 06/12/2007, 10:21 AM
Team RC Member

That's Mesa for you! There must be another place within 50 miles that already serves liquor so they hassle them on a new permit.
Old 06/12/2007, 12:41 PM
I read your email

how was the food?

"Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order." --Ed Howdershelt
Old 06/12/2007, 12:47 PM
party like it's 1499

food was good. they had only been open for a few days, and it showed, but there is a good deal of potential there. the wait staff seemed like they didn't know what the hell was going on, but that's understandable.

i had the ahi tuna salad and it was very satisfying.
Old 06/12/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like it beats the snot out of the fish tank at Cabela's, that tank is a hugh disappointment if you ask me.
Old 06/12/2007, 03:35 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

I'm gonna take my kid over there next week, hopefully midweek/midday isn't too crowded. Can't wait - I've been to other BPS & Cabelas and they're always fun. We used to get the BPS catalogs back in the 70's when they were just a skinny little catalog, they were right around the corner from our house! We even had a Bass Tracker boat and a Sun Tracker pontooon back in the day! Missouri's proudest export.

I'm also findout how difficult it can be to get a liquor license in the state of Arizona!!

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 06/12/2007, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

The display is pretty nice but the place was crowded.
Old 06/12/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

I was one of the supers on the new Bass pro. The salt water tank is actually closer to 15000 gls in the display. It has a 1285 gln mixing tank and a skimmer that stands about 8 feet tall. All the fish in that tank are from another tank that crashed. They estimated that there is over $100,000 in fish alone. They have about 200-250 fish right now and are going to add some more show quality fish as soon as things settle down. they want there to be around 450 fish in the display. The reason they don't have a liquor is because they city requires John Morris(owner of Bass Pro Shops) to be fingerprinted and he refuses. They are trying to work it out and will soon be serving liquor.
Old 06/12/2007, 09:38 PM
party like it's 1499

fourth horseman...YOU JUST BLEW MY MIND!!!!

question answered! cha-ching!
Old 06/12/2007, 10:48 PM
Premium Member

As large as it is, the tank still looked jam-packed with fish..and it had a lovely slime floating on the top, I wonder how long it has officially been up and running.
Yes, the place is cool but busy, I enjoyed the freswater tank, as you rarely get to see large freshwater catfish and the like swimming at eye level. You gotta go if you like hunting/boating/fishing/camping. They have more taxidermy than any place Iv'e seen...decorating the entire place...

Squirrels here, bobcats there, deer upstairs, bears downstairs...pretty funny actually...
Old 06/14/2007, 11:31 AM
party like it's 1499

thought of this last night, wanted to see what other people thought.

i wonder if we could ever set up a FRAG tour of the facility similar to what we did at rainforest cafe?

fourth horseman, any thoughts on whether or not that would be a possibility?
Old 06/14/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

I know Pat would be willing. He is a on rc also but the problem would be getting the store manager to let you guys. He is a real P O S. he could care less about anyone but himself. If it involves him lifting a finger or getting involved he will veto the idea. It's a shame because the store is so unique but every time I go in I get a bad taste in my mouth because of him. I will talk to Pat and see what he thinks.
Old 06/15/2007, 12:25 AM
Premium Member

Personally I think it's mean to not post ant pics!!!! I'm heading over there this weekend to see it for myself. Looking forward to it.
Old 06/15/2007, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefdna
Personally I think it's mean to not post ant pics!!!! I'm heading over there this weekend to see it for myself. Looking forward to it.
Well, I went today and there was a lot to see, and not crowded at all. I did get a picture of the tank, but it's not good due to the reflection of the windows. At least you can't see the large floating dead fish at the top that is now a buffet for the other fish. The picture was taken from our dinner table. The bar goes around the tank and you can see three of the four sides of the tank.

Old 06/15/2007, 12:47 AM
Premium Member

Cool! Nothing like nature at work!
Old 06/15/2007, 07:44 AM
party like it's 1499

i pulled out my camera phone when i was there and just about got bum-rushed by the staff before i could snap a shot. nice pic azhorsegal.

fh- thanks for your insight and effort on that. sounds like there's some real stories behind the scenes at that place