Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/09/2007, 02:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oharaell
While I don’t agree with posts that only criticize or make fun and don’t offer any constructive criticism, I have to agree with TG. This politically correct back patting is even more dangerous to our hobby than the occasional poking fun at someone for a build that is clearly not designed well.

this sums up the entire thread. well said...
Old 06/11/2007, 01:02 AM
Moved On

*WOW*
Just wow.

I sincerely hope this tank works out for your my friend.

Here is the truth of it all. ( as with anything really)
The more you complicate things, the more things can go wrong, and the more things WILL go wrong.

I see antagonists that are out right about it, People who actualy want to help and are out right about it, and complete tools pretending to care just to see you fail.

Fortunately for you you have more poeple who want to help and do actualy care than antagonists and tools.

I suggest taking thier advice and simplifying your design in a big way or emenant failure is in your future.
Not death or getting a shock ( I hope not getting a shock anyway)
But definately a flood and some blown fuses.
You could also have just made a huge fire hazzard as well.
The mistakes are your to be made though.
I am not here to tell you what to do or that you will die a firey death from your build if you dont do exactly as I tell you to.

I would just like to offer you one peice of sound advice comming
from near 20 years experience with SW and DIY'ing my own stuff since the 1st day I saw the price of prefabbed set up in 1988.

Simplify your set up.

4 dual GFCI's and 2 GFCI bar 7 plug barplugs is all you would need for a 300g tub propagation set up with two pendants, a skimmer, reactor, UV, all the pumps, automated top off, heater, chiller, and fans.

If I am hearing you the right way at what your trying to attempt here.. its ease of use and automation with absolute saftey backup. Correct?

Ease of use comes from simplicity.
The best automated designs I have ever seen are completely simplistic in design.
Because simplicity means less can go wrong that also means
your building with greater safety for future usage of the system.

I know its hard to think about all the work you have put into this was for nothing. It may well not be.

All I am suggesting is you simplify your set up.

Last edited by The Propagator; 06/11/2007 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06/11/2007, 01:03 AM
Moved On

double post.
Old 06/11/2007, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

schweett
Old 06/14/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

craftsmanship. or lack thereof...

another thread on objective criticism?
Old 06/14/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

I have to admit they have a better sense of humor over there at http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...ic=116611&st=0
Old 06/14/2007, 10:37 PM
Premium Member

I like yankee stadium

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/...=43887&page=10
Old 06/14/2007, 11:50 PM
RC Sponsor

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
It seems that every web board I visit has no less than 10 pages about this build.. The entire reefing world is sitting on the edge of thier seat awaiting the next episode of this turmultuous soap opera...

Cmon Jgarrison give us more pics...Honestly, barring the naysayers I think that the tank will be fine. Although abstract and far from the norm it is so interesting to watch
Old 06/15/2007, 12:19 AM
Reefer

on the forum for our reef club we had a thread about this build but it kind of got out of control and it got deleted, this guy is the most famous reefer ever.
Old 06/15/2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

Wow!I can't offer any more then what was given, But my tank rule is always K.I.S.S.

the more you do to
try to make it better the more you have to fix later.
Old 06/17/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

"I like yankee stadium
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums...t=43887&page=10"

Hey man, that thread did start out making fun of, but it really has turned kind of sympathetic/interested.

I made a couple of wise guy comments early on, but at this point your project has made me think twice about a number of things and at this point I can honestly say I'm fascinated and no longer horrified/laughing.

You certainly do deserve to have the last laugh if all this works out well. Speaking for us mass-oles, I think it's fair for me to say this began looking like a joke, but now it's much more a very interesting science project/soap opera.

Prove the rude commentaries wrong and make this work and show the results.

(you could always log onto the BRS forum and post, let us answer for ourselves, it might actually lead to an interesting discussion. *Boston rule of etiquite - everyone is a total jerk, until you talk to them face to face - thirty seconds later consider them a friend and offer to buy them a Guiness. This is also one of the numerous definitions of "mass-ole")

BTW, the yankee comment is a little harsh, but I guess we do deserve that one

*Getting off the BRS thing, and moving to this thread itself-

I won't cirticize at all from now on, I'm too interested in following this project to say something jerky.

I'd just suggest ignoring any rudeness but do consider any saftey issues that have been brought up. (personally a lot of that GFCI stuff is a bit over my head).

Your project is remarkable, at first it seemed laughable in ways, but over time, seeing the committmnet, creativity and hard work you/your project has earned my respect.

You've entered a world of lots of VERY opinionated people who all think they know the right way to do everything (myself included I suppose), and will put down anything involving "thinking out of the box", especially from someone they don't already know online, let alone face to face.
Old 06/18/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Have you taken into account for the circuit loading that all your heaters could come on at once?
Old 06/18/2007, 08:18 PM
Reefer

I dont think we will ever see this thing running, it will be a year soon.
Old 06/18/2007, 08:31 PM
Brighter the better

im just staying out of it just to see the rest of this build. i think every one would like to see this completed. as u know every thing looks better when its done. its gota look like s@%t first to look great later. trust me my stand looks kinda crappy now but when im done im hoping for the best.
Old 06/18/2007, 10:16 PM
Premium Member

Out of town again. Also was out of town last week and went to Laconia NH last weekend. If Im home next week I will add water.

"Have you taken into account for the circuit loading that all your heaters could come on at once"
Im not worried, the lights are a greater load. I just hope I do not need a chiller. I will add cooling fans in order to prevent from using a chiller.
Old 06/18/2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Hey customcolor, I love your avatar man!!! Dark Crystal is one of my favorite movies!!

"Look like gelfling, smell like gelfling, maybe are gelfling!"
Old 06/18/2007, 11:34 PM
Brighter the better

Quote:
Originally posted by dfcjr
Hey customcolor, I love your avatar man!!! Dark Crystal is one of my favorite movies!!

"Look like gelfling, smell like gelfling, maybe are gelfling!"
thanks! that movie still rocks in my books!

jgarrison i hope it all turns out for u man
Old 06/18/2007, 11:47 PM
Chillin'

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
luv951, Tim wasnt insulting the original poster.
Tim has insulted this forums owner several times, here is an example...

Quote:
Originally posted by tgreene
Good God!

It looks more and more like a 4th grade science classes failed attempt at building a Heart and Lung Machine, with each passing day...
Good god people unless you can express your opinions in a nonargumenative (spelling) way don't post (not directed at you Rich)

War does not determine who is right but only who is left.

Cody
Old 06/19/2007, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jgarrison

Im not worried, the lights are a greater load. I just hope I do not need a chiller. I will add cooling fans in order to prevent from using a chiller.
I thought you needed your 6 heaters because it was only 60 degrees in the room? If you need a chiller, you could probably take 3 or 4 or 5 of your heaters out.
Old 06/21/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

wow. I can't wait to see this thing in action.
Old 06/21/2007, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

im must admit, im jealous at all the fame he getting. Heck WE ALL are jealous!
Old 06/22/2007, 02:56 AM
Registered Member

Dont mean to hijack, but I just went threw 19 pages of bs & all I wanted to see is how the live rock was going to be set-up. Just looking for different ways to aquascape a new tank I'm setting up. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Old 06/25/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

jgarrison,
i have a suggestion that i think you should take seriously...

i noticed that most of the cords and plugs you made are showing alot of the insulation cut back leaving only the individual wire insulation exposed.
i would cut back the wires inside the plugs and make sure the NMB sheathing is enclosed in the plug as well. this will help with salt creep to keep things sealed better.
i understand what you are saying about salt creep and causing issues. but it will go everywhere! not just where water drips. the salt is in the air/humidity that will be evaporated.
one more:
use the exterior outlet covers over you outlets to help against the creep as well. the ones i am talking about are a bubble shape and allow you to plug everything in and still keep the cover closed.

be very careful about just taping wire splices together. usually tape fails at siome point and will cause an electrical problem. you might be better off to make another electrical box just for all of the connections to be enclosed and then you can use wire nuts for a better connection.

just ideas that i think would help save you in the long run with salt creep. like you said, hate to have another crash.

HTH
BR
Old 06/25/2007, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RobinsonFam1
jgarrison,
i have a suggestion that i think you should take seriously...

i noticed that most of the cords and plugs you made are showing alot of the insulation cut back leaving only the individual wire insulation exposed.
i would cut back the wires inside the plugs and make sure the NMB sheathing is enclosed in the plug as well. this will help with salt creep to keep things sealed better.
i understand what you are saying about salt creep and causing issues. but it will go everywhere! not just where water drips. the salt is in the air/humidity that will be evaporated.
one more:
use the exterior outlet covers over you outlets to help against the creep as well. the ones i am talking about are a bubble shape and allow you to plug everything in and still keep the cover closed.

be very careful about just taping wire splices together. usually tape fails at siome point and will cause an electrical problem. you might be better off to make another electrical box just for all of the connections to be enclosed and then you can use wire nuts for a better connection.

just ideas that i think would help save you in the long run with salt creep. like you said, hate to have another crash.

HTH
BR
The picture are not clear under the electrical tape there is butt splice connectors then there is tape and a 3m electrical varnish over that.
Also the electrical outlets are 2.5 ft from the water source and there are covers so I should be ok. But I will keep an eye on it
Thanks
Old 06/25/2007, 06:54 PM
Reefer

Is it running now?