Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/08/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

Is this worth the money?

Alright i think i found the tank i'm going to buy. It showed up on craigslist today? in my area the guy wants 200 bucks for the tank and stand. I don't know what it's worth so i figured i'd ask you guys.
It's a 120g 4'x24"x24" with a metal stand. Tell me if i should get it or keep looking.
Thanks!
Old 06/08/2007, 08:05 PM
Carpe Noctem

If it is in good shape... maybe. Around here you can find an ok tank and stand for that price. Heck if you keep your eyes open, you can find a tank stand and decent equipment for $500. But I would pass and wait for a reef ready tank with goodies.
Old 06/08/2007, 08:05 PM
Relax. Salad bowl is 300g

See what condition it's in and try to find out what was kept in it before. It may be tough to get an honest answer, but you probably don't want a tank that has had lots of meds in it.
Support Intelligunt Desine!
I want to get a bunch of Hermit crabs and force them to live with each other.
Old 06/08/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

If its not exactly what you want you could probably do a little better. Check the used equip forum as they have killer deals every now and then. I got my 75g rr display, 30g sump, mag 12, all the plumbing, tek 6 bulb fixture and 10 extra bulbs for $500!
Old 06/08/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

I would just save up for a brand new reef ready with a stable wooden stand and a canopy instead of that. I would say...nah. JMO
Old 06/08/2007, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

so 3 votes for pass.
He said he kept fish and then reptiles that needed water (turtle???) he said it doesn't have any big scraches. jbeltmann you have a point it isn't 100% what i want. i would like ether aliitle cheaper or come with some saltwater equip (lights, pumps ect)
Old 06/08/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Thanks i think i'm gunna pass. I'm already taking on another project (mantis tank) and i rather have some money in case i need it instead of being broke after buying all the stuff for a 120g
Old 06/08/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

Thats not a bad way of going about it saltwater. If you find something you really like in the used section and the time is right it is always easier to pull the trigger. BOL
Old 06/08/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

non-reef ready tanks suck IMO unless you are really good a drilling tanks.