Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/08/2007, 05:54 AM
Registered Member

SKIMMER on 120gal

Hi guys for the past 3days my skimmer has been working but no SKIMMMING! hehe what is the cause of this??? hmmmm so what i did was put my Prizm in there as well and both nothing....

SKIMMERS
-Red Prizm
-CPR back

My tank is CLOUDY as a mofo...I lost My brain, Cowfish, SquareSpot Anthias...and the Imperator is not looking good....

R.I.P.
- Cowfish
- Brain
- Male Squarespot Anthias

HELP!!!
- Imperator (Bad condition, peeling of skin...)
- Zoa's not opening up

Good and still eating
- 2 x Pyramid Butterflies
- 2 x Female Squarespot Anthias
- Tomato Clown
- Grouper (TINY)
- Sea Pen

120Gal Main with 75Gal FUGE SETUP but still no PLANTS ...it's been up for 5wks...
Old 06/08/2007, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

Are you kidding??
Old 06/08/2007, 07:04 AM
Nano Reefer

Your malfunctioning skimmer shouldn't be enough to be killing fish. What are your water parameters? Did you let your cycle finish before putting that many fish into the tank?
Old 06/08/2007, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

BLANK, sorry double posted
Old 06/08/2007, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by InLimbo87
Your malfunctioning skimmer shouldn't be enough to be killing fish. What are your water parameters? Did you let your cycle finish before putting that many fish into the tank?
Yups...took water, Sand, LR from my previous 75 gallon that was setup for 1 1/2Yrs now...then waited 5wks....could it be malfunctioning?? what could i do?? I still have cloudy water, but it's definately got better....is there anything that would cease the bubble producers in the skimmer...Cause i know when you put Phytoplankton or any other enriched formula when the Skimmer is on, it goes whacked...what about when its not letting it bubble up??? mayne i've cleaned the pumps and emptied and clean the trays....
Old 06/08/2007, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

I TESTED THE WATER....PLS HELP the imperator wont last any longer....Would Prime work for the NITRITE??

Am using RedSea Marine Lab Kit...

Problem!!
Nitrate - 5.0
Nitrite - 0.5

ok!!
Ammonia - 0
Ph - 8.3
Alk - High
Old 06/08/2007, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sfilingeri
Are you kidding??
I say something wrong???
Old 06/08/2007, 10:57 AM
Premium Member

I would go to your LFS that you trust and buy 20 gallons of tank water from there display or other established system and set up a 20 gal. QT. to hold the emperer in for a while until you work this out.
Old 06/08/2007, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

I just reread your post, are you telling us that you have all these fish and corals in a tank that's only been set-up for 5 weeks? well I would say expect a total tank crash, this hobby is time sensitive, research, research, research.
Old 06/08/2007, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

Keep your temp 75-79 and use a Coralife skimmer. JD
Old 06/08/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by corals b 4 bills
I just reread your post, are you telling us that you have all these fish and corals in a tank that's only been set-up for 5 weeks? well I would say expect a total tank crash, this hobby is time sensitive, research, research, research.
Tanx...so you think the bacteria from my 75Gal wasn't enough?? i mean everything was transferred then waited 5wks??? Hmmm all i can think of was because the Micro Yellow boxfish died then the brain coral went with it caused Nitrites to rise (what could i do to lower it??)

And my temperatures cannot be controlled as of now, i need a chiller to get my temp that high in 70's = 78,79 range....
Old 06/08/2007, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

As I recall box fish are toxic and can poisen your tank when they die, correct? maybe a large water change would inprove things?
Old 06/08/2007, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

not only is he saying that, hes saying hes using a prizm and a backpack as skimmers and wondering why they're not skimming. What testkits are you using?
Old 06/08/2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reef165
not only is he saying that, hes saying hes using a prizm and a backpack as skimmers and wondering why they're not skimming. What testkits are you using?

Yeah thanx mayne...well that buggles my mind...well actually the prizm is starting to pickup...I have limited supplies here Fellaz! hehe i'm @ the philippines going to school hehe...yeah not like before i can just run down the LFS and get all that i need....I have been avoiding NSW, bcuz here it's the I guess "Craze"...i say around 95% of the people here use NSW ...actually am really tempted on using it myself....Cause When i as there i was told it was an aweful idea to do that???? what do you guys think....BTW the Backpack still isn't pkin up any SKIM, it's just puttin clear/cloudy water in the Collector...I'm going to try to request a BETTER skimmer, Suggestions guys??

BTW i dont get it, aren't cleaner shrimps sensitive to water conditions as well?? THERE BOTH FINE!!

TANX LOTS
Old 06/08/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Cleaner shrimps are actually some of the less sensitive shrimp.
Old 06/08/2007, 02:51 PM
Flowalicious

You've got 10 fish in a tank that isnt cycled.

Start doing HUGE water changes.
Old 06/08/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

only up five weeks & a cowfish?!?!?! that cowfish could have released toxins upon death or even before when it was stressed.

even if you used an established tank's water - it would still need some time to stew, so to speak.

and a cowfish? was it next to your sea apple?
Old 06/08/2007, 04:06 PM
a Buffer fish

if it were me I would get buckets of nsw and change 100% of the water, regardless of what you think is happening. That imo will cure anything.

Oh, and go easy on the fish load next time I dont think your limited in the phillipeans when you got very good water all around you. Personally i would not even use a skimmer and just do daily water changes. like 10 gallon changes a day.
Old 06/09/2007, 02:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mojoreason
only up five weeks & a cowfish?!?!?! that cowfish could have released toxins upon death or even before when it was stressed.

even if you used an established tank's water - it would still need some time to stew, so to speak.

and a cowfish? was it next to your sea apple?
Hehe u know i was tempted to buy a sea APPLE!! ...hehe But yeah Lesson Learned hard! Neway hmmm i'm going to put up a post about NSW...what you guys think of it??!! i'm scared to do so because like i said when i was there @ Detroit they didn't even think about NSW hehe the thought of it just made them laugh HEHE....