Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/05/2007, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Corals and Large Angels!

Ok, I have a 3" juvi queen and a 4" juvi emperor angels. I am in the process of tearing down my coral tank, selling most, but I may keep some corals that would be somewhat angel safe and brighten up the tank a big. Here is the list I may keep

Cabbage Coral
Colt Coral
Neon Leather
Leather Toadstool
Hammer Coral

I have seen quite a bit of colts and leathers in angel tanks. I think the cabbage, colt and neon will be fine. I am a little worried about the toadstool and I doubt it the hammer would make it. Any opinons? What does everyone have in the angel tanks? Thanks!
Old 06/06/2007, 07:40 AM
Premium Member

i would try it, in fact i am getting ready to put 4 large angels into my mixed tank because i love angels too much to go without them. i'll just remove those corals that are not 'compatible'
Old 06/06/2007, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

Let us know how it works, Shrimp. I may try some with my angel down the road(FOWLR now).
Old 06/06/2007, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

Haha, looks like I will be the test dummy. I have seen leathers work with angels before, and shrooms. So I think the neon green leather, colt, and cabbage will be fine. The toadstool kind of worries me, and the hammer I'm pretty sure definitely won't work.

Anyone have any experience?
Old 06/06/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

I've seen large angels in full reef systems, and the corals looked healthy. I think if you feed them pretty often they will just kinda play with the corals without really eating them. I even know one guy who kept Regal angels and put their favorite corals in the tank to make sure they acclimated well. I personally want 7 large angels in the reef setup I'm doing, so you wont be alone.......
Old 06/06/2007, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

I've had a hammer with my Emperor for 15 months now and he has never touched it.
Old 06/06/2007, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

I've heard emperors are more reef safe, along with majestic, blue face, and regal. The queen on the other hand might be a problem. I won't give up the queen though, she was my first angel and favorite fish. Prince namor, I saw your post about a 5000g lookdown tank, but your having an 800g reef tank above that? Any more details on your set up? Hows it going, still in the planning stages? What are the 7 large angels?
Oknocks, what other corals have you had with your emperor? Any other angels besides him?

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming, once I sell my other corals, I will be moving whats leftover into the angel tank.
Old 06/06/2007, 03:55 PM
Premium Member

You will be introducing your corals into the angels established territories. They know these feeding grounds well and that the corals were not there before. Be ready to start yanking them out.

Just a thought, not from experience.

Carl
Old 06/06/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

The 800 gallon will be for the lookdowns the large tank will be for everything else, as of now. Like I said though I am researching, the cost and upkeep of this size setup, and the possible problems of this much water in my house. I do know I want the largest tank I can get........ The angels are, The Queen, Passer, Regal, Chrysurus, Emperor, Grey, and Blue face.
Old 06/06/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

try some gsp, it grows like a weed, is colorful and i am pretty sure angels won't touch it. i here mushrooms don't work to well though i a may be wrong,
Old 06/06/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Yeah I was mostly gonna go with stuff they dont really want anyway, definately no clams.
Old 06/07/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

I have a gsp rock with some good algae growing on it, I may throw that in there. I thought the frilly stuff like polyps they would go for? I can easily pull them out and put them in my sump or back into the coral tank. We'll see, whenever I have time to acclimate the corals to the tank and have an hour or so to watch them, then I will do it.

P Namor, so the angels would go in the 5,000g tank? That is quite a different stock list, a passer as the most aggressive and the regal as the most peaceful! I know grey angels will eat most corals, they are pretty bad, I had one but the emperor didn't like him too well.
Old 06/07/2007, 02:23 PM
I yam what I yam

I have a majestic Angel in my mixed reef with no problems. I have a rather large toadstool leather and two large bubble corals along with some Monti caps and other plating SPS corals and he dosen't seem to be bothering a thing. I've only found him and my Idol eating certin sponges that were hitchickers anyways so no big deal.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 06/07/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Shrimp, I figure the size of the tank will keep them from fighting. I actually like fish more than the corals, so I will just buy corals that they wont eat. My current fish list includes a Powder Blue Tang, Clown Tang, Sohal Tang, Sailfin tang, Regal Angel, Queen Angel, A pair of maroon clownfish, A pair of true clownfish, a pair of black clownfish, A Flame Angel, Emperor Angel, Potters Angel, Chrysurus Angel, a few sand sifter gobies, a gem tang, and a couple of purple tangs and yellow tangs. I dont think any two fish will just fight each other in that size tank, with that much going on.
Old 06/07/2007, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

I forgot the Gey angel and a mated pair of crosshatch triggers.
Old 06/07/2007, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

My blueface wouldnt touch my frogspawn or torch, but tried to eat my candycane and brain corals.

Relocated fish to FOWLR tank.
Old 06/07/2007, 08:56 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

The good news is both fish are juve's and can be weened onto prepared foods. You also do not have any corals that these fish are going to nip at. The hammer may be suspect but I have kept many large angels and none of them picked at my hammers.
The bad news is these fish may fight once they reach adulthood. They are both very robust fish and queens are probably one of the most territorial of the big angels so watch them carefully once they start to change into adults.
Old 06/08/2007, 03:13 PM
Who's your Daddy

Quote:
Originally posted by PRINCE_NAMOR
Shrimp, I figure the size of the tank will keep them from fighting. I actually like fish more than the corals, so I will just buy corals that they wont eat. My current fish list includes a Powder Blue Tang, Clown Tang, Sohal Tang, Sailfin tang, Regal Angel, Queen Angel, A pair of maroon clownfish, A pair of true clownfish, a pair of black clownfish, A Flame Angel, Emperor Angel, Potters Angel, Chrysurus Angel, a few sand sifter gobies, a gem tang, and a couple of purple tangs and yellow tangs. I dont think any two fish will just fight each other in that size tank, with that much going on.
this sounds like every marine enthusiasts fish list
Old 06/08/2007, 03:29 PM
Who's your Daddy

Re: Corals and Large Angels!

Quote:
Originally posted by DamnPepShrimp

Cabbage Coral
Colt Coral
Neon Leather
Leather Toadstool
Hammer Coral

I have seen quite a bit of colts and leathers in angel tanks.
Bottom line, is that angels can be hit or miss in the home aquaria...
Old 06/08/2007, 03:31 PM
Who's your Daddy

I think the real question is, how attached are you to these corals? I really wanted to recreate a living reef w/ angels, so I exposed my LPS and softies, w/ no regrets!
Old 06/08/2007, 04:05 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Re: Re: Corals and Large Angels!

Quote:
Originally posted by GovtCheese
Bottom line, is that angels can be hit or miss in the home aquaria...
Yes but there are certain corals that they will not feed on. Keep in mind that most angels are not natural coral predators. The corals listed above are generally toxic and are not picked at unless the fish is starved.
The following inverts are the main ones that angels will normally pick at:

High risk:

Zoanthids
Xenia
Anthelia
Clove Polyps
Meaty LPS like Lobo's, Scoly's, Cynar's, Favia, Acans, Blasto's, Micromussa
Anemones
Clams
Tube Worms
Sponge
Palyathoa
Gorgonians

Moderate Risk

Euphyllia's - Hammers, Torches, Frogspawn
Galexia
Fox Corals
Trumpet Coral
Chalice
SPS - I have found that they will be more inclined to pick at SPS if the corals are stressed and producing excess slime. The angels are mainly eating the slime coat when they are seen picking at SPS corals.

Minimal Risk

Hydnopora
Leather Corals
Mushrooms
Ricordea
Scrolls
Pagoda Cup Coral
Duncans
Tubastrea
Dendro

I have kept many different angels and in tanks that had all of the corals listed above so what I have noted above is based on experience.
Old 06/08/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

I am not attached to the corals really that much at all. I am attached to the angels. As far as the angels fighting together, they are from two different genus, and will grow up together. They aren't just going to fight one day, they get along great, I sometimes swear they will breed, haha. A lot of people say angels when bigger are going to fight etc, but who has actually taken two angels since they were 3" big and have them grow up together. I think things are different when all they have ever know is each other. But we will see, that is a long time away. I know the queen gets more aggressive, which is why she is the smaller of the two. I plan on upgrading later down the road, to at least a 240-265g hopefully bigger.
Old 06/09/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Hey Trigger, thanks for the nice list.
Old 06/09/2007, 01:45 PM
Who's your Daddy

Quote:
"A lot of people say angels when bigger are going to fight etc, but who has actually taken two angels since they were 3" big and have them grow up together"
Only time will tell

Quote:

"we will see, that is a long time away. I know the queen gets more aggressive, which is why she is the smaller of the two"
exactly

Quote:
"I plan on upgrading later down the road, to at least a 240-265g hopefully bigger"
bigger is better
Old 06/09/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

Very true, only time will tell, and it will be quite awhile down the road. Hopefully they get along, no one knows. I'd have a bigger tank now but living in an apartment, moving every year, doesn't cut it. Once I get a house, then the big tank comes. Maybe tomorrow I will add the corals, we'll see, I still have some I have to get rid of before I tear down my reef tank.