Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/01/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Nippie Clown

I have had a pair of false clowns for about two months now. One is a bit larger and I think they were tank raised. About a month ago I added a yellow tang. In the last month the larger clown has grown very aggressive toward the smaller one. I have been reading low levels of ammonia since adding the tang. I assume that this is something to be expected and that eventually I would see this drop to near zero. My plan has been to let this mini-cycle complete, keep the water quality as good a possible with PWCs and hopefully this guy (or probably lady) would mellow out. She seems so mean to her friend that I been considering quarantining her. Would this be recommended? Otherwise things seem fine and I’d have to reintroduce her. Suggestions appreciated.
Old 06/01/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Clowns can become very territorial especially if they are hosting with something. Did you buy a mated pair or just 2 random clowns?

You can try a quarantine or just take one of the two back to your LFS.

---ttomkat1
Old 06/01/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

i havent had a clown yet, not nip/bite me especially if there hosting in something. i wouldnt worry about it unless you start seeing fin damage or its not letting the other one eat or its bothering you. thats a clown for ya good luck
Old 06/01/2007, 12:37 PM
Team RC Member

You did get two of the same species correct? Also, if the smaller specimen you bought had already metamophasized into a female fish, there is no going back to male and two females will fight....excessively.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 06/01/2007, 12:41 PM
Moved On

you had asked if one turned into a female.....

Well that is the process one has to establish itself as the dominate female. The only way to do that is to fight or nibble or what ever you want to call it. One of them has to lose

Its really no biggie...normal in fact.
Just do as the last post said and watch the fins for damage or color for stress. Do the host together at night????? If so then really dont worry!
Old 06/01/2007, 12:45 PM
Team RC Member

No, I asked if the smaller of the two had already turned female prior to being purchased. Just because he's smaller than the other does not indicate he's a male. Usually this is the case, but we were not told or know if these clowns have been together long enough for one or the other to change, what sex they were to begin with, exact size of the fish, ect. ect. ect. So I'm throwing ideas on the board for him to consider. I think you're probably 100% correct, but this alternate scenario is a possiblity.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 06/01/2007, 12:58 PM
Moved On

papagimp

papagimp

I see your point and you may be correct....

However as you know ALL CLOWNS are born MALES.....So I thought that would be the most logical. But that is not to say he could not have bought two females, just not likely IMO.

They are not new tank mates .....

Not in all cases but normally Clowns would have had signs earlier of being un happy together especially sharing a host IMO! But than again that tang could have aggrivated him too hard to say!

Again I say watch them closely....If the smaller one starts to lose color, breath heavy or gets any desorted fins. Than take action until then i would not worry too much

Again this is ALL IMO
Old 06/01/2007, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I bought them together. They were the only two fish in the tank at the LFS. I assumed that they were mated. Man, I should have asked how old they were, which if any were male. My bad. They were my first fish. They do not have a host. My tank is a fish/invert with LR system. They did have a favorite corner that the tangs's swimming may have upset. Their color and fins look great. I catch the larger one twitching at times and I was concerned he/she was having a problem. So far I've just hear that these are behaviors common in pairs ,dominance establishment and considering that clowns are in fact damsels. He/she just makes these attack like runs at him that it scares even me.
Old 06/01/2007, 02:02 PM
Moved On

find those poor guys a host

They need it now that the playfull tang is in the tank
Old 06/04/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

Do you think I could satisfy a bulb anemone in my 55g with 265 watts of pc lighting? I think I have some really nice spots for it on the LR about half way up in the tank. I don’t want to bring in something else that’s going to be uncomfortable and I’m not ready for a MH canopy replacement. Any other host suggestions for a new hobbyist?
Old 06/04/2007, 12:37 PM
Moved On

Condi

Very hardy and not much light needed.......

But they do move around lot untill they find a spot they like!
Old 06/04/2007, 12:59 PM
Moved On

Ever thought the clowns might be trying a little bowchicabowwow?
Old 06/04/2007, 01:31 PM
Ordinary Average Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by MimicTang
lol.....keep an eye on the glass or any other flat surfaces where the larger clown hangs out. That's where you're most likely to find a clutch of eggs....
Old 06/04/2007, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MimicTang
This has to be quite possibly the quote of the day for me!

Old 06/04/2007, 01:37 PM
reef girl

I would like to know exact definition of that "bowchicabowwow" so I can use that in an actual convo. Please, and Thank you

This hobby isn't just for the boys..

Its all fun and games until someone gets salt water in their eyes!
Old 06/04/2007, 01:44 PM
Moved On

Yellow rose goby

I just got these guys yeaterday........No photo yet....

The problem is i have not seen them at all since they went in the tank....They are tiny 1 inch tops....

I know where they are (Buried under a rock) I can see a tail.
Question is how will I know if they made it (the transit).
since even at the LFS it took him like 30 minutes to catch these little guys. they a a great looking pair.

I know its early and it takes time to get used to the tank. just wondering if anyone else has gone through this?
Old 06/04/2007, 01:46 PM
Moved On

If you got them as a pair with a dominant female. They're possibly able to breed. Sees as you've had them only a shortt period. Then yes they're telling everyone to **** off and leave them alone.
Old 06/04/2007, 01:49 PM
Moved On

Sorry guys that last post was suppoed to be a NEW THread and I must have hit reply by mistake...

SORRY!!
Old 06/04/2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

I would respectfully disagree with getting the clowns a host anemone. Normally if you plan to do this you would allow the anemone to acclimate without the clowns in order to reduce the stress associated with two fish swimming around in the anemone. Plus, tank-raised clowns have never seen an anemone, if they were bred in captivity at ORA or some other breeding center the parents were not anywhere near an anemone.
They don't need an anemone, and buying an anemone soley for the clown's peace of mind is pointless. They don't need an anemone. The clowns will find a territory they will want to defend and they will stay in that area. In time if they are a true pair they will breed and attempt to raise the fry in this area-again without an anemone. Good luck!