Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/23/2007, 07:07 AM
Registered Member

Mine are rusted as well! I am not happy.
Hoops, I bought my 400 from an LFS for $280. They price match internet prices.
Old 05/23/2007, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmaki
So, best case is we get new pumps?
What would be worst case? Class-action suit?
I can guarantee you will not have to go with any kind of class action suit. The skimmers are fine, the $10 pumps are the problem. These will be a small hit to AEUSA to keep everyone happy AND improve their product.

Once this is tackled, I will get back to discussing with them how to improve the skimmer via new pumps and trying to convince them to launch a DIY line of skimmer bodies.
Old 05/23/2007, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kodyboy
Mine are rusted as well! I am not happy.
Hoops, I bought my 400 from an LFS for $280. They price match internet prices.
So you got it for $280 but they price matched my $237 or they fatcored in shipping to your location? If the $280 was a price match, what is the standard price they charge?
Old 05/23/2007, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Hoops, Do you know what they plan on doing if anything?
Old 05/23/2007, 03:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jglackin
Of Topic:

Hoops, what kind of fish is that in your avatar? They have those at a store here locallly, for a small fortune, if it is what I am thinking it is. How are they in the reef tank?
That is a Taenianotus triacanthus, or sailfin leaf fish. Great reef fish, although it was pretty labor intensive as it took almost 5 months to wean it over to frozen foods. But, after weaning it became a breeze to feed, recognizing the turkey baster and swimming right up to it. You can see more of it here:

http://www.reefnut.com/ryannano.htm

I plan in the future of having a 46g bowfront with 5-6 of them. They shouldn't run more than $60 unless your LFS has a very difficult time getting them in.
Old 05/23/2007, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRaquatics
Hoops, Do you know what they plan on doing if anything?
Yep, their email is up a little bit. They will be replacing the pumps with new ones as soon as they get them from the manufacturer. The new skimmers will already have these on them. I have not received the exact terms yet, but I am assuming they will be replacing everyone's pumps. Details should be here soon.
Old 05/23/2007, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

That would be cool if they did replace the pumps for us.i dont no if i would have time tonight to take apart the pumps I want to no really bad.
Old 05/23/2007, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Hoops,
Sounds good. Yep, they price match 237 + shipping. I think they sell them for around $330 or so normally.
Sounds good on the pumps.
Old 05/23/2007, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HoopsGuru
That is a Taenianotus triacanthus, or sailfin leaf fish. They shouldn't run more than $60 unless your LFS has a very difficult time getting them in.
Ah, not what I thought. I do like those, but the fish I am talking about is THIS. They used to be $2500, but now they are down around $800.

Jim

170 gal curved glass
Solaris H4
AE400
ACIII Pro
Turf Scrubber
LiterMeterIII
Nanostream 6055
LifeReef LCR1
Old 05/23/2007, 05:21 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Related, but not quite the same thing. A Leaf Fish is a different beast all together (often come in a bit smaller too).
Old 05/23/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

We would like to sincerely apologize for the rusty pumps. We appreciate our customers and are working to get this issue resolved as quickly as possible. If you have yet to check the back of your pumps, please do so immediately. If you have rust or an exposed metal plate, please give us a call at 1-800-978-3480 and speak with Johnnie. Give her your name, phone number, the pump model, and where you purchased your skimmer from. Again, if you have not checked the back of your pumps, please do so immediately.

AquaEuroUSA
Old 05/23/2007, 07:27 PM
Big 12 Ballin'

Quote:
Originally posted by AquaEuroUSA
We would like to sincerely apologize for the rusty pumps. We appreciate our customers and are working to get this issue resolved as quickly as possible. If you have yet to check the back of your pumps, please do so immediately. If you have rust or an exposed metal plate, please give us a call at 1-800-978-3480 and speak with Johnnie. Give her your name, phone number, the pump model, and where you purchased your skimmer from. Again, if you have not checked the back of your pumps, please do so immediately.

AquaEuroUSA

This is a great sign guys!

Thank you AquaEuro for sticking by your product.

-Daniel

You might be a reefneck!
Old 05/23/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Not too funny but I bet mine and Steve414's pumps have the most rust. Well I just checked mine and needless to say not very happy. What a horrible design. The back of the pump on mine is free flowing. water in water out. I will be contacting AE tomorrow and hopefully the have new pumps ready for next day air. Well here are a couple pics. I didn't want to take them all apart. Thanks again Hoops and AE for the great customer service.

Old 05/23/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Just tagging along, I was going to buy an AE 250. I still may If they take care of this problem and everyone is happy with the result , it sure will be nice to see. Best of luck to everyone.
Old 05/23/2007, 09:31 PM
One Good Friend

I'm sure with AE's responses so far they will take care of the faulty pump, but i wouldn't count on it to be an instant gratification. It's just a great thing they will replace them, but it will pry be 2-4weeks which is honorable imo.
Old 05/23/2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

I pulled off the back of my pump (from a 135recirc) and have exposed metal and slight rusting as well, called AEUSA earlier tonight. I am also guessing this will take some time to resolve, and would like to put the skimmer back into service in the meantime...

But - prying off the back of the pump has ruined whatever seal was there in the first place. Is the back the only way water can get into/out of this part of the pump? If I put a bead of silicone around the back plate of the pump will this effectively seal it, at least for the short term?
Old 05/23/2007, 09:54 PM
Big 12 Ballin'

Quote:
Originally posted by driftin
I pulled off the back of my pump (from a 135recirc) and have exposed metal and slight rusting as well, called AEUSA earlier tonight. I am also guessing this will take some time to resolve, and would like to put the skimmer back into service in the meantime...

But - prying off the back of the pump has ruined whatever seal was there in the first place. Is the back the only way water can get into/out of this part of the pump? If I put a bead of silicone around the back plate of the pump will this effectively seal it, at least for the short term?

Yes, silicone should be sufficient for the short term.

You might be a reefneck!
Old 05/23/2007, 10:22 PM
El Jefe de WRS

As nait002 pointed out, the cover itself has slots in it so you would have to seal those too.
Old 05/23/2007, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

The pump on the 135 is a bit different, the only slots in mine are where I chipped the plastic prying off the back
Old 05/24/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

Maybe this was a reason they were heating up the water so much?? I need to check mine too.
Old 05/24/2007, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by driftin
The pump on the 135 is a bit different, the only slots in mine are where I chipped the plastic prying off the back
How long have you had your 135..?? Mines only been running for a few weeks... wonder if I should check mine... hmmm...
Old 05/24/2007, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Again we would like to apologize for the pumps. If you have the rusty pumps and have already called in, we are asking that you please call again, so we can get your mailing address. We will be sending you a label so you can send the pumps back to us. As soon as we get the replacement pumps, we will also be able to get those to you quicker, since we'll already have your address on file. Please call 1-800-978-3480 and ask for Johnnie.

Thank you so much for patience.

AquaEuroUSA
Old 05/24/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester
How long have you had your 135..?? Mines only been running for a few weeks... wonder if I should check mine... hmmm...
Same here, I put mine in service on May 9th. When I pried open the back I had just the beginnings of rust forming, but there was a considerable amount of exposed metal plate.

Just got off the phone with Johnnie, she was very helpful. They are expecting replacement pumps "soon" and as her post indicates, will be shipping them directly upon receipt. She suggested using silicone to cover the metal if I wanted to keep the skimmer in service until the replacement is available.

Happy with all the customer service received so far, be it through Ryan or through AEUSA. Everyone seems to be very responsive.
Old 05/24/2007, 11:40 AM
Premium Member

I wanted to thank everyone for their patience too, and I knew AEUSA would approach this with good faith. If everyone can just keep up the patience and realize they do have to go through some manufacturing to get the new pumps made and sent over, but it is in everyone's best interest to take care of this quickly. I am sending an email to every customer to check their pumps...myself included.
Old 05/24/2007, 11:58 AM
Premium Member

Just got off the phone with Johnnie. I am very happy with the way they are handling this situation! Thanks Ryan and Johnnie!