PDA

View Full Version : 7 Gal tank Question? Important

Drex22
11/26/2005, 05:45 PM
OK, I have a 7 gal fish only tank at my work. I have 2 percula clowns living in it and a small bio filter and 1 power compact light setup to light the tank. I have noticed lately that every 3 days I need to clean the tank due to a VERY agressive RED color algae building up in the water. I have had this tank set up for over a year now and NEVER had this problem until recently. SO I give it water 1/2 tank changes once a week and still the red comes back.

WHATS MY PROBLEM:rolleyes:

I don't over feed and and I clean it as indicated???

PLEASE HELP
BTW fish are healthy and not showing any problems

theatrus
11/26/2005, 06:21 PM
Have you changed the bulb lately? PC lights tend to shift in color toward red, which algaes prefer.

Get a phosphate and nitrate reading as well.

jdallred
11/26/2005, 06:47 PM
Can you describe the "red algae" a little better? Is it like a cotton ball or more flat and maybe stringy? Does it "break' apart if you touch it?

When someone says they have a red algae most of the time it is actually Cyanobacteria, not an algae at all. Do a search here on RC for "removal of cyanobacteria" and all your questions should be answered.

If however the "red algae" is more like a cotton ball it is more than likely Asparagopsis taxiformis. A nasty little algae that spreads very rapidly covering just about everything. The good news is the Mexican Turbo Snail makes quick work of this algae.