PDA

View Full Version : What keeps you in the hobby?

ficklefins
06/07/2005, 10:47 AM
What exactly keeps you going in this hobby? As much time, money and energy that goes into this hobby it makes me wonder if it is worth it.
Also, will there ever be a time when you will call it quits?

So here are some of the reasons why I stay in it.

I have around 2 years of experience in this hobby and I feel like I learn something new everytime I read up on here. I get tired of a hobby when I stop learning about it, so this forum and new books have provided the interest to keep me going. I always see new corals, fish, and equipment that interest me so I am constantly researching.

I will call it quits when I can no longer pay for this hobby, or don't have the time for it. If it comes down to buying another IO bucket or dinner for me, then the tank will go.

Biscutz
06/07/2005, 10:54 AM
Yea I ask myself the same thing too. Why are you spending all this time, effort, and money on this "thing". I guess the answer for me is that I enjoy the satisfaction of watching this incredible creature grow and mature. This last year has really struck me with the SPS bug, and man I tell you it is addictive. My biggest problem now is that I really can't add anything more to my tank. Half the excitement for me was getting up on a Saturday and driving down to my LFS to see what they got in, now I can look but I can't touch, lol. It's also rough watching your favorite coral, which has been with you for 2 years, slowly RTN for no apparent reason. But the more we go through, the more we learn, and the better we become at keeping our little slice of the ocean. Just my .02.

kbmdale
06/07/2005, 11:19 AM
I saw a chance to get the myself, the wife, and the kids all into a common hobby. I do the maintinance (with help from my 4 year old son, not much help but alittle), Wife does the feeding and aquascaping, then we all sit back and admire our efforts. Its a great family hobby. We all enjoy it, thats what keeps me in the hobby. Even my 6 month old son will sit and stare at the tank for hours goo-gooing at it.

WayneL333
06/07/2005, 11:36 AM
Because there is no drug to cure my addiction yet.

Travis L. Stevens
06/07/2005, 11:40 AM
At first it was a "pretty" reminder that one day I will be able to afford to go to college to get that phd in icthyology since my wife was complaining about the "ugly" dead baby shark soaking in preservatives sitting in a jar in the living room. It then quickly turned into a family thing like stated above. Plus I get to teach my wife and son all sorts of stuff they never knew.

BigDaddy
06/07/2005, 11:44 AM
I think it's amazing to have a small piece of the ocean in my living room.

But, the average $300 a month I spend just to maintain it does get old.

tiger roach
06/07/2005, 11:48 AM
Because if I don't have a tank, I will miss it! I've been through that cycle already.

I admit to having thoughts of chucking it during the past couple years as I battled a horrible algae problem. Now that balance seems to have been restored and my tank looks good, I am enthusiastic about the hobby again.

gruiz1122
06/07/2005, 11:52 AM
I had a 20 gal setup for about a year. Started getting too expensive with water changes and salt and that coral that I just "had to have!". Then I switched to a FW planted tank thinking " oh yeah this will be cheaper". Well it is cheaper, but no where near as much of a challenge, as pretty, or as interesting as keeping a captive reef was. Needless to say, I enjoyed this hobby immensely and am ITCHING! to get back into it. I do need to get myself a bigger tank though. I was too limited with the 20gal. I'm thinking a 55 or 75. I need to get my finances in order first and purchase that RO/DI system before anything else! :)

CitCat21
06/07/2005, 12:06 PM
I didn't even want to get into the hobby but got thrown in head first. My boyfriend wanted one because it was cool to look at not haveing the slightest idea of what keeping it healthy involved then i come home one day to a tank full of salt water and poof i'm stuck. Well it's going on 4 months now and the tank is looking healthy and i honestly would rather play with the tank than my video games or computer. I love the challenge of keeping everything perfect and enjoy the knowledge i find here and everywhere else on the net. I also enjoy dreaming up different stock plans.

I don't know if i would ever quit without a court order and some rehab. I mean really everyone has to have an addiction. Well i don't Smoke, Drink, or do Drugs so here i am.

froguy00
06/07/2005, 12:11 PM
The women. So, you want to go see my starfish.

alten78
06/07/2005, 12:17 PM
The biggest downside of it all is the cost. But nothing I have ever done has been as rewarding as building and growing my reef tank. Sure its still in the process and im dead broke now, but the growth and life in it for mine and others viewing pleasure has been 100 fold...also helps when friends and family come over and oooohh & ahhhhh...helps that none of them ever see saltwater fish too:)

rick051074
06/07/2005, 12:43 PM
The hope that someday my tank will look half as good as this.
http://www.oregonreef.com/images/photos/p_002_l.jpg

Rick

Puffers
06/07/2005, 12:49 PM
I always wanted a Reef tank. To me it is the ultimate of aquariums you can achieve, dream and keep alive. The different types of life and colors that can be kept in a single tank is staggering. Where or what else in a square box, can you keep so much diversity so much color and yet keep it so interesting and entertaining? How else can you explain to your wife/husband that all this equipment, tank and electricity expense is worth it?:bum:

Rueg
06/07/2005, 12:54 PM
I have been thinking about getting out of the hobby for some time now. Since taking down my 120 upstairs and setting up the 180 downstairs I hardly see the tank except to feed it. With the amount of time, money and stress it creates I really am wondering why I don't get out. I would have to say it is for the fish. The corals are pretty and all, but I love my sailfin tang and copperband butterfly - and of course the other fish I enjoy as well. But with all the pests in this hobby (aiptasia, flatworms, algae, etc) it really has become more work then fun. Thinking of going fish-only. But there always seems like something to try to resolve the problems, just gets so darn time consuming and expensive. I just don't have the motivation anymore. Too much work to do around the house. Upgrading to a bigger tank was a mistake. Much harder to resolve problems.

jdav
06/07/2005, 01:02 PM
simply put:

aquariums are cool to look at.

MacnReef
06/07/2005, 01:18 PM
Well, since I am getting out of the hobby, or should I say, I got out of the hobby. I can list reasons why one would leave the hobby.

First, aquariums are only fun to tinker with, not to watch. I bet that most you tinker, adjust, add chemicals, perform water changes, add corals...so on, more than you actually sit and enjoy your aquarium. I have had them all, from nano's up to my 180g sps starboard reef and I finally realized that I was putting a ton of time into messing with the aquarium and I never really sat back and enjoyed it.

Second, money! Almost everyone in this hobby increases their tank volume at some point...I know I did. But once I got my big tank hooked up and my electrical bill went through the roof, I realized it wasn't worth it. I was spending, on average, over $100+ per month, just for the electrical consumption.

Third, you'll find interest in something else. I did. If I would have just saved my money that I spent on aquariums, I could have three or four bikes instead of 1 and a half.

I mean think about this, the average reef aquarium will run you about $30-50 per gallon. So if you have a 90g aquarium (that seems to be a nice medium), then you have around $2700-4500 in a tank. That is just crazy. Hell, I am selling my 1999 Ford Ranger with only 36K miles on it for $4000.

Now, I was a reef-a-holic for about 5 yrs, but there were many reasons I got out. I still have a 54g corner tank set-up but to be honest, I don't touch the tank. Every week or so I will here the pump in my RODI top off running dry, so I will let my RODI unit run through the night then turn it off. The tank looks like crap but the wife won't let me sell it because she says I have too much time and money invested to sell it. I have seriously considered doing a water change, dosing my chemicals again and scraping the glass, but filters, RODI filters and additional powerheads the tank desperately needs, I just can't see spending that money right now.

Who knows maybe I will clean up the tank just for asthetic reasons in my house. But to have a full blown reef again...I doubt it.

Mike

Frank_Rizzo
06/07/2005, 02:07 PM
Been in the hobby since 1994. Amazing how the technology and knowledge level has changed since then. But one thing that hasn't changed is the general pattern/cycle I have with keeping reef tanks: 1) Excitement/obsession over doing research about what kind of tank to set-up, what equipment to get, what critters to put into tank. I research for months before setting up a new tank. 2) Excitement over ordering equipment. 3) Dread of seeing credit card bill. 4) Thrill of setting up tank. 5) Agony of waiting for LR to cure. 6) More obsession about looking at LR while waiting for it to cure. Testing parameters every 20 minutes. Looking for every little new creature on LR. 7) Euphoria of finally addding livestock. 8) Worry over getting fish to eat. 9) Excitment of doing maintenance/water changes. 10) Dreaded diatom phase followed by: 11) Dreaded algae bloom. 11) Battleling algae bloom. 12) Thinking about quiting b/c of algae bloom. 13) Adding more snails/hermits, conchs, urchins, anything to beat algae bloom. 14) Adding corals which changes your mind from wanting to quit. 15) Buying more corals. Some you know you shouldn't buy, but they look so damn cool. 16) Fighting with spouse/significant other over cost of tank and corals. 17) Having to sneak out to the LFS to buy more corals and getting them acclimated to the tank while spouse/SO is out. 18) Explaining to spouse/SO that you have no idea how that new coral got into your tank. 19) Saturation of livestock. Algae battle won. 20) Complacency of clean tank, but no room for growth. 21) Frustration of continuing to have to do maintenance/water changes. 22) Saddness over losing a fish or coral. 23) At this point, usually around one/two years into tank, maintenance begins to lag. usually algae comes back as a result. Tank starts becoming ignored a bit. 24) Choice. Upgrade vs. quit. For me, I always seem to move to another city around this time anyway, so I either sell set up or tear down bring with and set up again. either way, the love of the hobby is renewed at this time. The cycle begins again.

So, is it worth it? Absolutely. When else can you create your own living world and play god for awhile?

Joboo
06/07/2005, 02:17 PM
What keeps me in the hobby is the constant fear that my wife will unlease a wrath of gigantic proportions because of all the money I have spent on the hobby and then deciding to give it up :eek:

tgunn
06/07/2005, 02:31 PM
Well, I haven't actually gotten my tank up and running yet, but here's why I got into the hobby.

One day while at work (yes I work hard) I found reefcentral. At the time Michael Moyes tank was TOTM. I was mesmerized and instantly thought it would be amazing to have a reef at home, but I discounted it because I thought I've never be able to set something like that up (cost, knowledge, time, etc)....

....then came my honeymoon in Barbados. Snorkelling in the reefs there cinched my craving to get into reefkeeping.

I work as a computer programmer by trade; before I graduated computers were my passion and outside work hobby. However, work served to crush that extracirricular interest, and reefkeeping seemed like a great hobby to take up.

I find the knowledge of the various lifeforms, techniques, equipment, etc, etc all so interesting, and all so different that the stuff I deal with at work all day...

I've been researching and slowly aquiring things for the past 2 years. I'll admit that things have cost way more than I thought, but I can't wait to see the end result once I get things up and running!

Tyler

ficklefins
06/07/2005, 03:43 PM
Anyone stop reefing only to come back at a later time?

JHReef
06/07/2005, 04:36 PM
The best part of the hobby for me is twofold.

First is stimulation, it helps keep the brain sharp and allows critical thinking. OK OK it satisfies the NERD deep within.

Second, it forces me to have downtime. I must take the time to keep my beloved creatures alive and thriving. That means I can't be working on the house, stressing over all the money I just spent on my tanks, or worrying about work.

Of course, I do miss RC and my local club site when I'm up to my armpits in fun!

onefin
06/07/2005, 04:41 PM
For me, it's buying small fish ang watching them grow and also corals, and the live rock blows me away when i see life growing on it, and stuff in my tank that i didn't put in.

tsquad
06/07/2005, 04:43 PM
I think the whole marine aquarium hobby is fascinating. Always been obsessed with the ocean and what not, and now to have a little slice of it in my house is one of my dreams.

gillies
06/07/2005, 04:53 PM
I'll get out if my tank ever crashes. I won't sell my eqipment - just carefully clean, pack and put it away. Then, maybe in a year or two, I'll pull it back out and enjoy the process all over again. Just hope my tank never crashes!!!

alphaferret
06/07/2005, 04:58 PM
this is only a short time hobby or fad for me next week i'll be off to minature golf or something else !

dymaxiun
06/07/2005, 05:02 PM
Great thread!

CA
06/07/2005, 05:15 PM
I've never thought about it. I guess the beauty of it is one thing, but also I enjoy seeing some new life sprouting up every day, or some new behavior in my fish. I can watch our Gramma hanging upside down in his cave making scary motions at the clowns going by, which the clowns don't seem to even notice, for hours.

appellativo
06/07/2005, 05:36 PM
i have had freshwater for a while, and i wanted to set up a little 10 gallon amphibian tank. i was directed to go to FishWorld (in midlothian, virginia). they carried nothing but saltwater, though. the guy said, oh its easy to do saltwater! and told me to pick out some nice rocks, put some water in a couple buckets, bagged a cool shrimp and a crab and a damsel, and rang me up. he said, "Your rock weighs 13 lbs, but I'll only charge your for ten." and told me that my total was $166. I thought he was joking. rocks are that expensive?! but i paid up, and ive been hooked ever since, much to the chagrin of my husband.

mothra
06/07/2005, 05:57 PM
If you think about the money aspect then you're in the wrong hobby for sure. Seeing your corals grow and fish thrive is the pay off. I think the fact that it is an all-consuming hobby makes the reward that much sweeter.

Oh, I do sit and watch my tank, but not as often as I should, I think I'll go home today and space out for an hour in front of it.

ficklefins
06/07/2005, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by dymaxiun
Great thread!

Thx dymaxiun!

graphixx22
06/07/2005, 06:22 PM
for me it is the beauty and the challenge. You allways have something to learn in this hobby. And just when you think you have the hang of it WHAM something comes up. That and I moved from Sandiego to Idaho so now I have a little bit of ocean with me again. One of the best things is just to look into my tanks and see all of the things thriving and swimming around happy. And the fact that I like dropping $400.00 a month on stuff I "just cant live without" .

CA
06/07/2005, 06:52 PM
We spent $1500 on our TV, and $50/mo for satellite service. We watch 2 or 3 hours per week.

We sit in front of the tank for at least an hour a day, but usually more. On days that I work at home, I often take the laptop or PDA and work out there in front of it. We'll spend half an hour every few days just looking for new life and pointing it out to each other. We stop by the LFS to look and shoot the bull as good entertainment time. We've learned a lot about nature, life, and our evolutionary history.

I think the value is unquestionable. There's no point in talking about the money.

At one point I did think, geez, this cost more than one of our motorcycles. We could have bought a pair of dirtbikes, or any number of other toys. But dollar per hour of enjoyment, this has everything else beat.

And that's before we get to the pleasure of seeing your success indicated by living organisms thriving and multiplying.

MacnReef
06/07/2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by CA
We spent $1500 on our TV, and $50/mo for satellite service. We watch 2 or 3 hours per week.

Because, I don't watch it for 2-3 hrs per week...try 2-3 hrs per day! Plus TV brings vital information like weather and news....duh!!!!!:rolleyes:

Mike

bluehippotang
06/07/2005, 07:58 PM
4 days with no electricity and no heat, over $2,000 in livestock losses. However, what should survive my sebae anemone. I don't know how with the temperature in the tank less than 50 degrees. My tank still has a long way to go to get back to what it was previously, but I have some hope.

ficklefins
06/07/2005, 08:06 PM
Please don't debate whether something is better than that. I just wanted to hear what everyone's inspiration to keep it gong was.

Now that my poor grammar post is over. Anyone leave and come back into the hobby?

jjjimmy
06/07/2005, 08:23 PM
First of all, I have read through all of the reply's to this thread and if you have to worry about the money then you probably (realistically) can't afford it.

I got into this because I needed a challenge, and I received what I was looking for. However, I would not trade it for the world. I doubt that I will ever get out of the hobby. I have come to enjoy spending time taking care of and watching my 180 SPS reef. Watching it grow, finding new growth, spotting a potential problem, is all part of the experience to me. There is a certain satisfaction of creating an eco-system and helping it to maturity like raising your kids (well maybe not) but being able to create an environment where creatures that we barely understand can grow and thrive is satisfaction enough for me.

Now, others wooo'ing at my tank, can you say wood?!?!?!?!?

reelbadfish
06/07/2005, 08:36 PM
All the gorgous b**ches. Women flock to fish guys like rockstars.

Example: Deuce Bigalo.

I used to be a real dork, now I'm Tom Cruise with a brineshrimp net.

kenny77
06/07/2005, 08:37 PM
the only thing keep me in this hobby is that im a compulsive buyer. i just love to spend money and finally i found a hobby were i can spend and spend and spend and still i wont be close to have the best tank.

Rikko
06/08/2005, 02:59 AM
Looking back at all the money that's gone into it already, we can't stop until we have achieved total victory.

Gawain1974
06/08/2005, 04:20 AM
I'd kept a small freshwater tank for a few years until I finally made my way into a large LFS that carried saltwater (this was back in the early 90's). I was blown away by the colors--I'm colorblind, but saltwater fish and corals were bright enough to attract my color deficient eyes.

I set up my first saltwater tank in the mid 90's--30 gallon, undergravel filter, coral skeletons (all upon LFS advice). Considering what I was working with, that tank did very well, but it was lightly stocked. I moved, and my tank bracing had developped a crack, so I left the hobby. However, I still bought magazines and drooled over reeftanks until I decided to set up a "real" reeftank in 2001. The colors and the corals are what keep me in it. The flame angel and hippo tang were my biggest attraction. I do a lot of my research reading here at home, so I can do it in my living room, facing my tank. It's so relaxing, and that's what I enjoy most. I don't really enjoy tinkering with equipment, etc., like a lot of guys (I'm technically challenged :lol: ), I'm just happy to watch life go on in my little drop of ocean.

Of course, money is something that makes me question if I should stay in the hobby, but I figured I've already invested too much to get out. Plus, my tank is the one little "luxury" I afford myself, and it gives me so much pleasure that it's worth it. However, I don't agree with the elitist claims above that if you worry about the money, then you shouldn't be in this hobby. I think you can create a beautiful, thriving system that works within the limitations of your budget.

Dazed And Confused
06/08/2005, 07:52 AM
The thing that attracts me most is that you can have a piece of living, changing natural artwork in your living room. It's never exactly the same for two days in a row. I've never seen the beauty and diversity of life anywhere on dry land that can be kept in a glass box. The ocean has always fascinated me and living 600+ miles from it, this is the closest I can get to the smell of saltwater daily. My setup will go thru it's first wet run this weekend to check out pumps, plumbing, etc. Live rock should be here in about 10 days and then it's SHOWTIME!

CA
06/08/2005, 08:22 AM
Plus TV brings vital information like weather and news....duh!
Huh, I've never seen anything "vital" on TV. The only news worth watching is the Daily Show, and weather info comes from the internet. Of course, weather info in Phoenix is rather repetitive. "Hot and sunny, chance of sunburn" gets old after a while.

I got up this morning, and as usual, headed to the tank first thing. Too early for a really good look (no lighting yet). I was actually wondering recently, and thought about posting this... How many people dash to the tank first thing to see what's up with it? Invariably there's something new. Sometimes I'll go push the button on the coffee machine, but often I just go check out the tank first. Then grab coffee and sit down in front of the tank for a while.

We spend some good time together there, and at the risk of being sappy, that alone makes it worth a lot.

GregM779
06/08/2005, 08:24 AM
Well I got into the hobby when me roomate wanted a tank but couldn't afford it at the time. I bought a 55g with an emperor 400 and a seaclone 100 with the plan of him buying it from me at the end of last year. Well he took it and I setup my 125g.
At one point in the 55g after I had bought all of my fish and had it just how I wanted the last clownfish I put in had brooklynella and wiped out the whole tank. I left the tank setup and didn't look at it for 6 weeks except to put topoff water in.
When I started my 125g I decided to devote myself to it this year and here's a pic right at 8 months.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/70412Full-Tank_94_.jpg

The above picture is also the reason why I stay in this hobby. Anyone can go out and buy an expensive watch or big TV or motorcycle but knowing that I did everything myself going on the advice of other makes it worthwhile to me. The tank is how I want it and I'm not itching to upgrade, now I can sit, enjoy, watch the corals grow and start to make some money back with frags. Every person who has been to the house and seen the tank seems truly impressed, even when I've had people over with no interest in fish at all.
The tank is just a canvas for us all to create our art.

phlipper84
06/08/2005, 09:10 AM
I think the main reason is I have too much money in, to get out. Yes, I also like it since I gave up all the other money burning things like drinking and partying when I got married. But after saying that I realize that I am only upsizing next month, and money is just pouring out the window. Hell, I may have a better return on my investment if I just rolled down the car windows and let it fly! but seriously, I think it is the joy I get whe everything "does" open and the tank looks great!

Lures and Jigs
06/08/2005, 09:20 AM
My wife and I got into the hobby with some money given to us when we got married, it's given us countless hours of enjoyment (and frustration :() but it's something we both enjoy and take pride in. We will spend a whole week getting excited to go to Dr. Macs and spend the day deciding which corals we want to add to our tank. Now we're saving up for a light so we can get a broader range of corals and an anemonea for our clowns.

Frick-n-Frags
06/08/2005, 09:42 AM
um

badly arranged priorities :D

a childlike total fascination for the ocean

possibly Bowser, my 12 year old royal gramma, who has been around with me too long to put through going somewhere else

and I guess because it is a fun adventure, sometimes terrifying, stressful as heck, or more work than I feel like doing that day but mostly it's pleasant.

ckaldahl
06/08/2005, 10:14 AM
I love the challenge.

What first got me addicted was the symbiotic relationships one can have such as the anenome and clownfish or the pistol shrimp and watchman goby.

I love the fact that it is a thriving ecosystem where you only have to add the foundation of the food chain (plankton) and the rest takes care of itself for the most part.

When I upgraded from a 72 gallon bowfront to the 210 I have now, I thought that it would take me years to fully stock this one. But everything grew very rapidly with the new found space and in six months, the tank was full again as far as corals go. Everything doubled in size. I can really only stock fish now. But that is fine with me. I still enjoy my tank even though I can't get anything new for it. Now i am finally making money back with the frags I take to the LFS and get credit for.

My favorite part about the tank now is showing it off to family and friends that come over to visit. I love it when they say "That is the coolest thing I have ever seen!" I have inspired a few to even start their own tanks. And I like to pass on the knowledge I have acquired over the years to help the newbies to avoid the common mistakes most of them make.

CK

pixburg-reefer
06/08/2005, 11:19 AM
i find the animals fasinateing and i love learning new things, i love learning everything about the ocean and you will never know it all. i have been in the hobby for 3 years and yes it is very pricey but i truely enjoy the hobby and i will call it quits when i get board of learning new things, which will never happen
plus it is a MOSTLY healthy hobby, i mean their are so many worse things out their that can be bad for you.
you also get to meet great new people :D

ficklefins
06/08/2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Frick-n-Frags
um

possibly Bowser, my 12 year old royal gramma, who has been around with me too long to put through going somewhere else

Wow a 12 year old royal gramma. You must have a close connection with Bowser.

Tammy3770
06/08/2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by MacnReef
Well, since I am getting out of the hobby, or should I say, I got out of the hobby. I can list reasons why one would leave the hobby.

Who knows maybe I will clean up the tank just for asthetic reasons in my house. But to have a full blown reef again...I doubt it.

Mike

sorry to hear that Mike :( :( :( :( :( :(

spe934
06/08/2005, 11:59 AM
Why? Because I suck at golf...

But seriously, nostalgia is part of it for me. My father had a saltwater tank (120gal) while I was growing up (late 70's, early 80's). It was unsual to see a saltwater tank in the middle of Indiana at that time. Shipping methods were crude and not much was really known about the hobby in those days. I still have memories of watching all the fish swim around, the colors in the tank. I have always been facinated with water. My family use to vacation in Key West before it was a "Hot Spot". I have been snorkeling since I was young and paid for myself to be certified in SCUBA in High School. My love of nature and science (BS in Biology) has always lead me to do things that keep me closer to nature. Now that I have a daughter, I wanted her to have some of those same memories. My wife enjoys looking at the tank, but really isn't into the rest of the hobby. Saturday mornings are time for my daughter and I to go the the LFS and see what is new. We then come home and either start to acclimate or do routine maintance. She like to "help" and has fun watching all the fish. Being only two, she doesn't know much, but she likes to tell you about the orange fish and red fish and how many there are...

There is also the "WOW" factor. My tank is in my living room and make a nice conversation piece. Anyone who enters my home sees the tank first. It is a good icebreaker (although my wife gets mad when I start to go into details about everything for hours and hours...).

The cost really isn't a huge factor, but with 3 tanks, I have to be smart about what I do. My first tank, I purchased all brand new things. My 2nd and 3rd are mostly used thing I have found here and there and several DIY projects. As far as electricity consumption, I was smart and started my tank in the winter. Any increase in electricity was greatly outdone by the rise in natural gas prices for my area.

Why am I still here? Because I love it and even when things look bleak and you begin to hate it, there are places like RC that are full of encouragement and solutions to keep the hobby going.

kbmdale
06/08/2005, 12:06 PM
Honestly, Its the GOD factor...hahaha...You guys know it is...You play God of your own little world. You banish the bad and reward the good, supply food, shelter and climate. You like the feeling you get of seeing a world you created from a glass tank and water thrive...... Thats the real reason....lol

Lordhelmet
06/08/2005, 12:30 PM
I think it's because this is the first hobby that my wife thinks is really cool. so we get to share it together. although i do have to be carefull i'm way more addicted then she is.

cmc5dc
06/08/2005, 12:40 PM
Ooh what tranquility it brings...studies have shown it to lower your blood pressure.

Peace

CitCat21
06/08/2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by cmc5dc
Ooh what tranquility it brings...studies have shown it to lower your blood pressure.

Peace

Yeah when there isn't something that has gone terribly wrong with the tank.

Shoestring Reefer
06/08/2005, 01:05 PM
It's a lot of work to stay in it, but it looks like even more work to get out.

I feel trapped by the hobby at times, it's usually when I try to add something new or to "upgrade". When I leave it alone, it's smooth sailing.

new2u
06/08/2005, 01:08 PM
because, I'm a slight insomniac and with the tank in my room I set the lights and moonlights so I can watch it as I try and go to sleep. Also, i agree with the god & ice breaker factors though. I also love being able to say hey "I MADE THIS"

CA
06/08/2005, 01:50 PM
Bonus: Having the reef guy at the LFS, a good one, who has been in the hobby/industry forever, come to my house to give me tank tips and say "Holy sh*t!" then start taking notes to share with other people.

He was so happy with it he wants to share some frags that he thinks will explode in my tank, no charge.

I didn't get into it for praise, but validation of your construction and theories helps.

wayne in norway
06/09/2005, 05:24 AM
Glorified science project, and I love having something to fiddle around with.
Cost has never been a big issue as I'm pretty tight anyway, and really don't buy very much anymore. Plus I've never been hung up on expensive animals, rather i've tried to do the best I can with 'common' creatures. I buy salt every now and again, lightbulbs and have cheap electricity.

want2reef
07/01/2005, 09:12 PM
Went from a 10g to a 90g then back to a 29g and now going to a 120g.

I guess just loving anything that deals with water, keeps me in this expensive hobby.

az95833
07/01/2005, 09:41 PM
cocaine lol

Saltz Creep
07/01/2005, 09:56 PM
Fame, fortune and glory. :bum:

Saltz Creep
07/01/2005, 09:59 PM
Actually, it's because of my wife. She refuses to let me keep venomous snakes (one my old hobbies). :D

Scuba_Dave
07/01/2005, 10:04 PM
My wife too.......

she says she'll kill me if I drop the hobby after all the $$ I've spent :D

Doug
07/01/2005, 10:05 PM
I have been asking myself this same question for years now but I know that it would not be the same without my reef tank. It costs too much money, too much time and can aggravate the heck out of me but I guess I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

guitarfish
07/01/2005, 10:55 PM
I was in a state of depression for about 2 years. I wasn't quite ready to try meds or therapy. I decided to setup a reef. A friend had a tank and I loved it.

Finances aren't infinite, so I had to set some boundaries at the start: 75g max. I planned, acquired, and built everything - stand, plumbing design, electrical, etc. Every aspect of it was fascinating.

This was 2 yrs. ago. I can happily say I've been depression-free for over a year !!

Over the last few months I contemplated taking down my tank. I mentioned it to my friend who got me into it. He told me he felt I was making a big mistake. "You're really good at it. And I think you'll regret it." I imagined what it would be like not having a tank for about a week. Pretended coming home and looking at an empty spot where the tank is. He was right. I can't not have a reef.

Seeing it every day, I sometimes lose sight of what an accomplishment it is. So I invite people over, and watch them sit in awe for a half hour. It's great.

elephen
07/01/2005, 10:55 PM
The large amounts of money that tend to disappear without a trace!

jay24k
07/02/2005, 12:46 AM
I'm in it for all the colors. How can you in any room in your house have all the colors in one place? Only in a reeftank. My only hobbies are computers which isn't really a hobby, diving which now that I have kids is almost impossible to do till they get older, and my family. I love the ocean and almost anything on land is boring. Dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, etc has no entertainment value to me.

I don't think I'll go over a 180 for a reef, but I do want a 10' tank for an angel tang tank with decorator only and no liverock. I saw one at a LFS that was crystal and I mean not a SINGLE spec of anything and it was absolutely beautiful. I take it as having two kids. Both different but loved similiar. Same with reef and just fish only.

young-d
07/02/2005, 01:31 AM
In hopes that my sugermomma will buy me a even larger tank!

Wiskey
07/02/2005, 04:11 AM
I think a friend of mine put it best,

"if you look at your tank and see nothing but dollar signs then you are in the wrong hobby."

When something breaks I think about the money, when I need new stuff I think about the money, but when I am looking at the tank I think about the beauty.

Whiskey

madeeb
07/02/2005, 06:41 AM
why drive or fly to the ocean when you can have one in your house and i like the way it iritates my wife when i tell her that fish was only 180.00 dollars