PDA

View Full Version : 10 gal tanks normally tempered?

Wormy
02/09/2004, 12:55 PM
Hi all,

I'm trying to design a refugium for my reef, and would like to use a cheap 10 gallon tank. I'm planning on placing it above the tank so I'll have maximum life returning to the main tank undamaged. This presents a design problem though, as I will need to drill a hole for the return hose in the 10 gallon tank. Does anyone know if the sides of these are normally tempered? Anyone have any luck with drilling these?

Thanks,

Wormy

joefitz
02/09/2004, 01:09 PM
10g are not tempered; however, they are by far the hardest tank to drill -- the glass is just too thin. I just had a few tanks drilled and someone asked about 10g tanks while I was there and the guy (who is really, really good at drilling) basically said, sure, we'll drill a 10g...but you better bring 3 or 4 tanks because it will likely take that many before you get a "success".

Good luck.

Joe

MarkS
02/09/2004, 01:12 PM
I've drilled several 10 gallons. While it was difficult, if you go slow and use lots of coolant, you'll be fine.

slanky
02/09/2004, 02:16 PM
Hmm, I'm quite interested in using a 10g as a fuge as well, and have considered buying one and trying to dremel it myself. But I've always feared the thin glass :-/ For those that have successfully done it, was it done with a dremel or was it done with an actual diamond glass drill bit?

MarkS
02/09/2004, 02:21 PM
I used a carbide tipped hole saw I got at Home Depot and a Dremel with a diamond bit. The Dremel method was by far the easiest and fastest.

slanky
02/09/2004, 03:30 PM
Yeah I was going to use the diamond dremel bits with my roto-zip at 30k rpm :-)

Wormy
02/09/2004, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the info so far. Sounds like something I might attempt, since I can get 10 gallon tanks for something like $10. I suppose I could always use the ample supply of snow I have outside as a coolant.

Wormy

bin04
02/09/2004, 06:23 PM
yeah the dremel bits are definitely the way to go! just finished cutting overflow teeth into one reeeeelly cheap 10g. Had nary a problem. just used a plain 'ol spray bottle to keep it wet and cool.

eums
02/09/2004, 07:08 PM
i drilled my 10 gal glass tank for a gravity fed return back into my tank. i cracked the first one though , putting a bulkhead in a little to tight. but the second one was a charm. i use a hose running over the tank with a small stream of water and it kept the bit cold and free of glass.

i drilled my 55 lee-mar the same way.