PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Cayenne question for Porsche owners/enthusiasts

chipmunk
12/19/2003, 03:32 PM
If you had a budget that allowed for a loaded Cayenne or base Cayenne S, which would you choose and why?

TIA!

Steve_B
12/19/2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by chipmunk
If you had a budget that allowed for a loaded Cayenne or base Cayenne S, which would you choose and why?

TIA!

A Boxster

chipmunk
12/19/2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by SBSB
A Boxster Thanks for not answering the question.

If the Boxster were within the realm of possibilities, I would have included it.

Steve_B
12/19/2003, 06:17 PM
Thanks for not answering the question.

If the Boxster were within the realm of possibilities, I would have included it.

I was just kidding:D I really don't like SUV's, but I do like the Porsche sports cars. I have heard some bad things about reliability with Porsche though. My wife had a 944 that was breaking down all the time.

willieboy240
12/19/2003, 06:19 PM
it all depends on what kind of person you are. if you are more into gadgets then the loaded one, if you like more performance then the s model. but one thing that is bad. in 5 years it will be worth a 1/3rd of what you paid for it. so your 75k is only 25k now. which is very depressing.

willie

chipmunk
12/19/2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by willieboy240
it all depends on what kind of person you are. if you are more into gadgets then the loaded one, if you like more performance then the s model. but one thing that is bad. in 5 years it will be worth a 1/3rd of what you paid for it. so your 75k is only 25k now. which is very depressing. willie

That's good advice thanks! I don't care about depreciation because in 3 years, I'll lease another car. This car is for business use, so I am permitted the write-offs.

tdog44632
12/19/2003, 09:27 PM
I would get the S model. give me the power!!! I have never owned a Porsche. A friend had BMW X-5 with the 4.4 liter V8 It was very nice, but really poor n the snow deespite wwhat BMW claimed , probably would have been better with snow tires.

Tony

Perez14
12/20/2003, 09:01 PM
It depend on what your using it for. For business I would go after the loaded one, turbo and all. It's Porsche, you have to get the fastest one possible. Also, becareful with the clutch. Porsche clutches are known to go fast.

fishgeek27
12/20/2003, 11:10 PM
Its a porche, are you willing to risk off road pin stripping incidents?
My dodge wears scratches like a badge of honor. 4X4s mean mud and rocks. Only posuers drive pavement only 4X4s. Buy a miata and an old jeep, have the best of both worlds and a lot left over. Stop trying to show your neighbor that you make more money than him.

Lionfish01
12/20/2003, 11:24 PM
I hate German cars. All American here.

rhwimmers
12/21/2003, 03:05 PM
I dunno much about any of them (im a Nissan guy) but if I had the money I would get one...
I got to drive the President of our Companies Carrera 911 turbo..I think it was a 99 or 00

WOW, thats one night I will never forget! Sweet sweet SWEET ride!

chipmunk
12/21/2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by tdog44632
A friend had BMW X-5 with the 4.4 liter V8 It was very nice, but really poor n the snow deespite wwhat BMW claimed , probably would have been better with snow tires. I went through an Ashland snow storm with my X5 equipted with snow tires. I drove by a Ford Expedition hanging over the cliff...a tow truck was winching it back onto the road.

chipmunk
12/21/2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by fishgeek27
4X4s mean mud and rocks. Only posuers drive pavement only 4X4s. Your truck does great offroad and okay onroad. The Cayenne does great onroad and okay offroad. They are 2 completely different vehicles.

Originally posted by fishgeek27
Stop trying to show your neighbor that you make more money than him. My neighbors are wealthy retired folks who are too nice and self-confident to give a rats cornholio how much I make.

chipmunk
12/21/2003, 10:41 PM
I just did some reading and apparently, they are better than just okay offroad...

"On-road, it's demonstrably better than BMW's X5, and off-road (on suitable tires), the Cayenne is almost in the same class as the latest Range Rover."

stereomandan
12/22/2003, 12:12 AM
Either one is just for image anyways.

If it were me, I would buy one American made SUV and one American made sports car. Both of them together would come to the same price as one Porsche Cayenne.

Dan

vester_72
12/22/2003, 12:16 AM
No question.

Base Cayenne S.

My friend has the S and it packs a punch - blows away the "regular" Cayenne.

If you want the loaded Cayenne (not the S), you may as well just save some $$ get the VW Toureg (sp?)

Aaron1100us
12/22/2003, 02:07 AM
I'd go with the Turbo:) Who doesn't need a 450 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque SUV that does 0-62 mph: 5.6 sec and has a top speed of 165mph. Think, you can outrun snow storms (or anything else) in it, hehehe. Porsches are my favorite, besides classic caddys. I used to have a 1980 Porsche 924. It was bottom line Porsche but it was the funnest car that I ever owned. It'd pull G's around corners like an F-16 due to the 50/50 weight distribution (tranny in the rear, engine up front). The little 2.0 liter engine on the 5 speed didn't have much for take off and had a top end of only around 130mph. Sold it to a kid who was doing 90mph in 3rd and hit 2nd instead of 4th, what a dumba$$. Blew the head ($2,000 head). Opps.

chipmunk
12/22/2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by stereomandan
Either one is just for image anyways.

If it were me, I would buy one American made SUV and one American made sports car. Both of them together would come to the same price as one Porsche Cayenne.

Dan

Have you ever seen or sat in a new Porsche?

I've driven a Chevy SUVs and a Vette. I especially enjoyed the thin hard plastic cabin surfaces and the persistant rattles and squeeks. I 24-hour-test-drove a new Hummer H2 and it was already rattling. My 44,000 mile X5 is still has practically no rattles.

Sure, a Porsche is for image. If the definition of image is excellent worksmanship, quality materials, quality control, fit and finish.

chipmunk
12/22/2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Aaron1100us
I'd go with the Turbo:) Who doesn't need a 450 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque SUV that does 0-62 mph: 5.6 sec and has a top speed of 165mph. I wish. World's most powerful SUV. The price tag makes it an irresponsible choice right now. If I win tomorrow's lottery of $42million, I'll get the Turbo fully loaded. My wife said she'd get a Ferrari.

budhaboy
12/22/2003, 03:52 PM
heh If I win the lottery, I be ripping that twin turbo motor out of it and shoe-horning it into a Chrysler Crossfire...

jwm2k3
12/22/2003, 03:53 PM
chipmunk,

I was a Porsche salesman for 3 years. I attended the Cayenne product launch @ Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, AL. I took both the Turbo and the S on the track at high speed, on the streets and on the 'off-road' course. I put both through their paces, probabbly moreso than 95% of those who own one ever will. Having said that, and to answer your question, I would buy the Cayenne S, hands down. I would get it equipped this way: Xenon lights, Entry and drive, Air suspension(which is now finally available on the S), 18 inch Turbo wheels(same saize as standard S wheels and only $150 more) with all season tires(no cost option and the truck comes with summer tires) and the trailer hitch package. Some like the navagation system as well, which is really cool, but dont know if you like that.

I feel no need for the Turbo, as the S is super fast with 340hp....

Good Luck, its the bset SUV on the planet!

jwm2k3
12/22/2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by budhaboy
heh If I win the lottery, I be ripping that twin turbo motor out of it and shoe-horning it into a Chrysler Crossfire...

The Cayenne Turbos 4.5litre twin turbo engine is BIGGER than the entire Crossfire.....

:)

chipmunk
12/22/2003, 05:00 PM
jwm2k3,

Thanks for the detailed advice! The Turbo isn't even within my realm of possibilities right now. Don't they go for $90K to $100K?

jwm2k3
12/22/2003, 05:10 PM
Yes, base on the turbo is $88,900., but by the time you get it optioned the way you want it its mid ninties.

The S is $55,900 base and low to mid sixties the way I want it.

Just lease one.....

stereomandan
12/22/2003, 09:52 PM
Have you ever seen or sat in a new Porsche?

I've driven a Chevy SUVs and a Vette. I especially enjoyed the thin hard plastic cabin surfaces and the persistant rattles and squeeks. I 24-hour-test-drove a new Hummer H2 and it was already rattling. My 44,000 mile X5 is still has practically no rattles.

Sure, a Porsche is for image. If the definition of image is excellent worksmanship, quality materials, quality control, fit and finish.

I stand by my statement. Even the Cayenne Turbo, though it has decent straight line acceleration(not great by any means), is terrible in the curves. It does have nice brakes though. If it didn't weigh over 2 1/2 tons, literally, it might be able to do something. What was Porsche thinking?

I've also sat in a number of American made SUV's and Porsche's. It's definately not worth he extra $$$ for me to own the Porsche. Just driving one around, people look at you like you're a snob. If that's what you want, then so be it. This is especially true for a Porsche SUV. I mean, why the heck did Porsche make a SUV? Porsche = performance, not grocery getter. Do you honestly think any of the Porsche SUV's are going to see anything near an off-road trail? Didn't think so. It's all image. Sure, they will be comfortable, but since the SUV market is so competitive, almost any SUV you buy is going to be very comfortable.

Porsche Cayenne = striving to get attention. Hummers are the same way. IMO.

Just calling it like I see it. Not trying to bash you or cut down your desire for the Cayenne. This is just my feeling towards the car.

Oh yeah. I'm a mechanical engineer for the automotive industry. I'm biased.

Dan

MERCEDES
12/22/2003, 10:19 PM
Chipmunk,
I am a finance manager at a Porshe, Mercedes, Audi dealership. I go to all of the track launches, I get to drive the cars and I am currently leasing an Audi S6 Avant which also has 340 horsepower. When I drove the Cayenne S when it arrived at our dealership I now know what my next vehicle will be when my lease is up. Fishgeek27 the Toureg is not even close to being the same vehicle. It has some similar components but does not have the capability of the Porsche Cayenne. The Cayenne handles incredible in the curves, of course it is not going to handle like a 911 but it is darn close. You get into a Dodge Durango and try to take a corner faster than 25 to 30 mph and you will be praying that you don't roll it. The Cayenne is able to do so much off road it is almost overkill. The original launch was done on an island off the coast of Italy in the MOUNTAINS ie offroad. It blew away the competition. There probably won't be too many folks taking the Cyenne offroad but if they do they have a very capable SUV not a poser . Leasing is the way to go if you like having a new vehicle every couple of years. I wouldn't spend the money on the suspension system or navigation unless you are a realtor or salesman who drives alot for work it really isn't that necessary unless you are constantly in new areas. You must do the upgrade to the larger Turbo wheel it is about the best money spent and costs soooo little.:thumbsup: Sorry for the long reply I could go on for a very long time about the Cayenne and the differences against the competition but it is not necessary, you know what you like. If you have any questions feel free to pm me and I can even run lease numbers for you so that way you know if they are trying to charge you too much out in California. I am in Minnesota so I am not trying to sell you a SUV but I can try to help you save some money if you want the help. Happy Holidays everyone!

stereomandan
12/22/2003, 11:41 PM
Oh yeah. I forgot to say. They are nice vehicles, but obviously not my kind of vehicle, as you can tell.

I'm sure for some they are worth the money. Could I afford one? Sure. Does that mean they are worth it to me? No way.

I'm not happy with the direction that Porsche has headed. As soon as I saw the Boxster come out, I started to worry about Porsche. My concerns keep growing.

Dan

manderson0805
12/23/2003, 02:19 AM
Get whatever makes you happy....I've got a friend who works a European Dealer in the Twin Cities, he recently got to test drive some of the new stuff. I'd love to get one someday, but I gotta fine tune my Powerball skills first. Mike:thumbsup:

chipmunk
12/23/2003, 02:39 PM
Just driving one around, people look at you like you're a snob. If that's what you want, then so be it.

Not trying to bash you or cut down your desire for the Cayenne. This is just my feeling towards the car.

Dan,

The snob thing doesn't really happen here. I've never noticed it. San Francisco at lunch time is bumper to bumper traffic Bimmers, Benzs and so forth. It's just a normal thing. A $125K Mercedes SL55 AMG parked on the street barely turns heads. I guess it's all relative. Remember, this is a place where folks pay $800K for a 2 bedroom fixer-upper.

No worries about stating your opinion. That's what this place is for!

chipmunk
12/23/2003, 02:42 PM
Mercedes,

Thanks for the detailed input! I might just take you up on running the lease #'s.

Everyone is saying the best deal in town is the $150 turbo wheel upgrade.

jwm2k3
12/23/2003, 04:26 PM

I'm not happy with the direction that Porsche has headed. As soon as I saw the Boxster come out, I started to worry about Porsche. My concerns keep growing.

Dan

Dan, Ive heard this statement over and over and over again. The fact remains that Porsche is THE most profitable automotive company on the planet. It must be for a reason. The other thing is that the people saying this are not Porsche owners or they have a 1972 914 and think thats the best car in the whole world and every car should be like theirs. Who cares. The new linup at Porsche is very exciting. Boxster....best handeling car ever. Carrera...fast, sleek, sexy and a track champ. The Carrera in 911 GT3RS form stomps the competition in ALMS and at LeMans. Ever drive a 996 Turbo? It will warp your brain....

The Cayenne will out corner whatever it is that you drive....

chipmunk
12/23/2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by MERCEDES
If you have any questions feel free to pm me and I can even run lease numbers for you so that way you know if they are trying to charge you too much out in California. I am in Minnesota so I am not trying to sell you a SUV but I can try to help you save some money if you want the help.
Thanks Mercedes! I just PM'ed you! This helps a lot!

stereomandan
12/23/2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by jwm2k3
Boxster....best handeling car ever. Not even close.

Originally posted by jwm2k3
The Cayenne will out corner whatever it is that you drive.... Not only will I leave it in the dust in a straight line, I will leave it behind in the twisties, and that's with my car that has a solid rear axle. And that's at 1/3 the price of the Cayenne. Cayenne's are not designed to be sports cars. They DO NOT handle like sports cars.

I test drove vehicles for the auto industry. The Boxster is NOT the best handling car ever. It rattled, sounded terrible, and didn't handle all that well considering it was a Porsche. I was not impressed when I evaluated the car.

I think I'll stop replying to this thread, because all it's going to do is start an arguement that I don't feel like going through. Just going by your statements, you need to go and test drive cars that were designed to be handlers,and built for speed, then go and drive the Cayenne again and you'll see where it is lacking in performance. It does do well for a SUV, but not even close to the sports car realm. How many sports cars do you see that are over 5000 lbs?

Porsche's are EXCELLENT vehicles, and I would not send one back if given to me. The Porsche's that are true sports cars get respect from me. The Boxster does not. The Cayenne is a nice SUV, but I don't like Porsche going that direction. The other thing I can't stand is how similar the Boxster and the 911 look. I would be upset if I owned a 911. People would mistake it for a boxster.

Dan