PDA

View Full Version : please recommend a nano

BumblebeeGoby4
02/22/2007, 11:18 PM
I'm looking to buy a nano in the range of 20-30 gallons.

Preferably, I'd like one with a built-in filter component large enough to convert into a refugium with a deep sand bed. I don't want to limit myself in terms of coral species, either, so something with sufficient lighting for LPS/SPS is also necessary (a moon light option would be cool, too).

I haven't really shopped around yet and would rather gather advice before going on a "wild goose chase."

Can anyone recommend a specific product ?

Thanks,

Mike

rabid frog
02/22/2007, 11:55 PM
ever thought about just making one?? going to an acrylic shop, cutting your own dimensions, etc.........you will get exactly what you want...........maybe a little more trouble making but my husband and I are in the process now for a contest. 10 gallon but i am excited... just a thought..good luck!!

scaast
02/23/2007, 12:04 AM
nanocustoms.com has some complete kits

spstimie
02/23/2007, 12:14 AM
im into the custom idea. you could build it one peice tank stand and sump. less plumbing and look clean... im gonna have to get out the old drawing board:)

bmwardo
02/23/2007, 12:37 AM
I built my 23 gal tank, it is basically exactly what I want. It was my first acrylic project and it is still holding up and going strong today. If you aren't into that, you could always have a company build one for you to your specs. It would be more expensive but might be worth it if you aren't big on DIY projects.

BumblebeeGoby4
02/23/2007, 04:05 AM
Um, although it sounds like it would be fun, I'm not so sure that I have the tools or design familiarity to construct a DIY nano just yet. If anyone has an easy to follow design or DIY journal, I'd possibly be willing to try.

Question-- typically, how many pieces of acrylic are used to make these-- i.e. a typical glass aquarium is 5 panes-- but I'm assuming acrylic only uses 2 or 3 total pieces siliconed together?

I'm also pretty confused regarding how I would design the overflow, baffles, refugium, etc that would comprise the back portion of the unit.

I can only imagine the potential lighting debacle in my future, as well. :confused: I'm guessing I'd also have to construct my own canopy and retrofit the lighting (or spend money on a unit which sits atop the frame).

That nanocustoms site looks pretty cool. Thanks for the link. Does anyone know of any similar custom sites that I can check out, or any local custom nano designers/builders?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

rabid frog
02/23/2007, 04:14 AM
you dont really need any specific tools if you get the acrylic cut. A couple corner clamps comein handy to hold the angles and some weldon #3 acrylic glue.

I am making mine out of 5 panels because I dont have a acrylic bender. So I am making it just like a glass aquarium. Hope this helps.

scaast
02/23/2007, 08:54 AM
I used weld-on #4 based on what I have read and by the advice of the local acrylic shop. Used it on an internal overflow...easy, and worked awesome.

Thurge
02/23/2007, 10:44 AM
6 pieces to an acrylic tank. There is a piece that goes on top and for the most part is cut out. Think of a 2 or 3 inch rim around the top to keep the sides from bowing out.

Another option is to use a standard glass tank and drill overflows and returns through the back of the tank, and have a second tank under it for your fuge and sump.

rabid frog
02/23/2007, 11:10 AM
I am not using a eurobrace. I dont think 10 gals will be enough to bow 1/4 acrylic.

zombiedust
02/23/2007, 04:04 PM
Try cadlights.com they have a 25 and 32 gallon..... Real sweet design...

BumblebeeGoby4
02/23/2007, 05:36 PM
Yeah, that cadlights.com place has some pretty cool stuff. Thanks for the link.

Mr.Biggs
02/23/2007, 06:22 PM
Send Calvin415 a PM :D

Custom nano (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=954718)