PDA

View Full Version : new tank company - guys who left Oceanic?

amheck
01/26/2007, 03:26 PM
I heard that when Oceanic got aquired by All-Glass, that a bunch of the people left and started another company in Texas. is this true? if so, are they selling tanks yet?

I've heard a few bad reports from all-glass and the "new" Oceanic lately, and I thought I'd check to see if these guys are up and running yet.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
Aaron

snslarison
01/26/2007, 03:38 PM
I bought a 75g AGA a few months ago and I am very happy with the quality FWIW.

invincible569
01/26/2007, 03:55 PM
Are you talking about AGE, Tommy?

GSMguy
01/26/2007, 04:24 PM
so all glass bought them out and didnt make them sign a noncompete?? sounds like a dumb move

anthworks
01/26/2007, 04:44 PM
Happens all the time. All Glass purchased Oceanic and then brought out the non compete or contracts. They can sign and stay or leave and do there own thing. The non compete is something people sign when they are being hired by a company.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9081862#post9081862 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
so all glass bought them out and didnt make them sign a noncompete?? sounds like a dumb move

aggie4231
01/26/2007, 05:46 PM
its not age, or tommy. i just cant remeber the name of their new company, will find out tonight. i go to a lfs that sells some.

it also depends on the non compete. when i got hired at a service company, i signed one. basically i couldnt start my own business for 3 years or within 75 miles. also i basically i couldnt contact anyone that i had provided service too after i quit.

invincible569
01/27/2007, 09:23 AM
Deep Sea Aquatics? (972) 205-0700

Trying to figure this out for you. ;)

JayB1224
01/28/2007, 10:09 AM
The non-compete only applys if they are still employed buy the company they originaly signed the contract with. If they quit or get fired they are free to work else where or even start up thier own company.

pjf
01/28/2007, 10:20 AM
Here's a news snippet that I've found:

"New Custom-Aquarium Supplier
GARLAND, Texas—Dan Engmark, former national sales manager for Oceanic Systems Inc., has launched a new aquarium manufacturing company called Deep Sea Aquatics. Deep Sea Aquatics specializes in Custom Aquariums, mid- to large-size standard aquariums and supporting cabinetry. The company also provides design and logistic support to dealers looking for custom aquariums as well as larger, standard aquariums. These products are currently being offered through Lone Star Pet Supply of San Antonio, Texas. The new venture is staffed with experienced personnel in all aspects of the aquarium manufacturing industry.

For more information, call (972) 205-0700."

(http://www.petbusiness.com/?pg=contents&spg=frontline)

amheck
01/29/2007, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys. That does seem to be them. I'l give them a ring and see if they are selling tanks yet!

Aaron

pugbreath13
01/29/2007, 01:46 PM
What did they say?

amheck
01/29/2007, 01:52 PM
I couldn't get thru on any of the extensions, even the operator. Not too sure if that's a good sign

nanorfj
01/29/2007, 03:41 PM
Dan answered the phone when I called...they appear to be in business. Indicated I can order through a couple of local retailers which he mentioned.

pjf
01/29/2007, 04:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9106471#post9106471 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nanorfj
Dan answered the phone when I called...they appear to be in business. Indicated I can order through a couple of local retailers which he mentioned.

Did he indicate in what ways his tanks are going to be better? (I could tell him but he might punch me in the nose.)

Here's how I think my Oceanic tank could be better:
- Starphire glass should be used for the front of the tank if not for all of the tank.
- The overflow openings should be larger to fit standard PVC bulkheads, not the thin black ABS plastic bulkheads.

His tanks should continue to have the following features:
- I like the AGA Modern series cabinets better than the Oceanic cabinets, so his tanks should continue to fit the AGA cabinets. The AGA Modern series cabinets do not have a center brace between the doors so you can service a large sump more easily.
- I like the Megaflow overflows instead of the corner overflows that you can see filling up with debris.

nanorfj
01/29/2007, 04:18 PM
I did ask him if they were going to offer Starphire, which he confirmed.