Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/10/2005, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...56#post5106156
Old 06/10/2005, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

Brian, thse things look like snowflakes or hydroid jellyfish. They'll just go away, so don't worry about them. They won't harm the tank.
No jokes...the brain is cute!
Old 06/10/2005, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

Picture Time!!!

GSP

My smallest brain (~ nickel-sized)

Lots of life & color

Hidden cup corals surrounded by orange sponge.
Old 06/10/2005, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

Star Coral

Ocellaris Clowns

Tunicate??? (not sure on this one...but it's pretty!)

I love this red sponge!
Old 06/10/2005, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Any guesses on an ID of the yellow thing?

Old 06/10/2005, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Great pics. Is that a welk at the bottom of the last one though?

By the way..... I have some of that red algea you have growing in my tank as well. It's really starting to grow fast.
Old 06/10/2005, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

I was referring to the group of picture you posted prior to the set with the Crab in it.
Old 06/10/2005, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
I was referring to the group of picture you posted prior to the set with the Crab in it.
It's actually a hermit at an awkward camera angle

Your pictures look great too. What size package did you order? I noticed you have a 72 bow too. Hopefully you'll get some more brains with your part two (no joke intended!)
Old 06/10/2005, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

I ordered a 72 gallon package and he sent me one for a 70. What about you?
Old 06/10/2005, 06:21 PM
Premium Member

I ordered the 70 gallon package. I was a little worried after getting part one that it would all fit in the tank but Richard must have done this a few times before I got my rock everything fit perfectly.
Old 06/10/2005, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

Great. I can't wait for the weather to clear up so I can get the second half. He said I'm either 7 or 8 on the list. I hope that's only a one or two dives worth!
Old 06/10/2005, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

well i found a new something. it could be a tube worm or some kind of tube anemone. it came out of the rock like a tube worm, it had white tenicals with lots of fine branches. thats the bestway to discribe it. the picture didn't come out and then it pulled back in.
Old 06/10/2005, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

cant wait till i get a job, everyones tbs rocks came out so good that you would have no need of getting corals. the bad thing of tbs is that the creatures will slowley die off, is this true? its a procelein crab, i think i spelled it right...
Old 06/10/2005, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

Wow! Great pics, Danielle! What kind of crab is that? I think I saw one like that for the first time tonight (3.5 weeks into part one!) Do you have a pic of him from the top down (I know thats asking for alot!)
Old 06/11/2005, 02:52 AM
Premium Member

that is a poreclain crab. I had several - I'm guessing all of my smaller ones lost battles with the xanthids and mantis that used to be in the tank. I now have one single big one - I think he's quarter sized - hard to tell because he's always hiding in the rock. All I see is the flicker of his super long antennae and sometimes his filter feeding arms.

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
Great pics. Is that a welk at the bottom of the last one though?.
Speaking of the devil...

I think I had a whelk lay eggs in my tank. I dunno why I think that but it's been 6 months and suddenly in my tank I've noticed a lot of small black snails with siphons. They are a bit tiny for me to tell if the aperture has a notch on them or not. They are such a pita to catch. At least the limpets were big and daring. These little black whelks just hide until night time and pop out. I've caught 5 today and another 4 yesterday. The best pic I could take is actually one already taken by melev here. My snails are the ones on the right. They are identical right down to the slight white pattern in the middle of the shell.

Just when i thought I caught all my xanthids (gorillas) - I noticed two more tonight. Both of them smaller than a dime (legs included). I caught one though.

I've got pics too...!
The "eyes" of my cleaner...I think it was hungry which is why it siddled up to my camera.

The "mouth" of my clam...pat you had a toothy one too I recall

The "ears"...okay well it's not really an ear, but it looks weird. This black thing in the middle of the pic moves ever so slightly when touched - either a tunicate or some kind of cuke. Almost looks like that nasty crown o thorns starfish but all the lr/sand inverts are almost all from the atlantic.

Finally - my latest "problem"...xenia frag

I thought it'd be interesting to have this wavy kind of species in the tank - similar to danielle's gsp i guess. Except my maroon, who as they say "is a lover scorned" apparently badly misses the condylactis and tried to roost the xenia immediately. Or somehow a flame angel is impersonating my maroon because the maroon almost ate the entire stalk of xenia! (the pic above is pre-eaten). I'm not too concerned because supposedly xenia grows rapidly but anymore of this and all that will be left will be stubs. Now if you look at the pic, on the bottom you'll see what I think is a hitchhiker zoa.
question: is my id correct and secondly - are there any special precautions I need to take in keeping the hitcher alive?

Last edited by phil519; 06/11/2005 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06/11/2005, 03:05 AM
Premium Member

Re: Picture Time!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by krajacich

In this pic - in the middle on the left of the pic you can see the arm of a red-mini brittle star (also on the bottom). I have several of these and it almost looks like they are filter feeding.
Old 06/11/2005, 03:07 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
well i found a new something. it could be a tube worm or some kind of tube anemone. it came out of the rock like a tube worm, it had white tenicals with lots of fine branches. thats the bestway to discribe it. the picture didn't come out and then it pulled back in.
perhaps a filter-feeding cuke?
Old 06/11/2005, 03:09 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by krajacich
Any guesses on an ID of the yellow thing?

yes - looks like a tethya sponge...though i've been known to be wrong frequently...haha. if you look in the sprung invertebrate book page 23 - it looks similar.
Old 06/11/2005, 07:40 AM
Premium Member

Phil, nice pictures! Not so sure that's a zoa hitchhiking. Can you get a better picture of it? It possibly could be a zoa, but it could also possibly be a rock anemone. A different picture might be able to answer it.

Danielle, your pictures are awesome as usual. Glad you got them in there right when we split, so now we can start off with some great pictures to get people seeing how nice the TBS is.
Old 06/11/2005, 08:22 AM
Tang? What Tang!

Phil and Danielle nice shots of your rock there.

Phil, that cleaner was really hamming up to the lens
Old 06/11/2005, 08:31 AM
forever newbie

Phil, I think your hitchiker zoa is a manjano. I have a pic of mine if you need to compare. If I am right it needs to come out.
Old 06/11/2005, 08:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skippy2
Phil, I think your hitchiker zoa is a manjano. I have a pic of mine if you need to compare. If I am right it needs to come out.
That's exactly what I was thinking it might be.
Old 06/11/2005, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

Great photos as always everyone.

Quick question: Would it be o.k. to take my fish out of the QT and put them back into the main tank, or should I hold off and hope that part 2 will be coming soon? I didn't have much of a cycle with part 1.
I just feel bad having my fish in the 10g. They look bored. v
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks~
Old 06/11/2005, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

These were fish you had prior to getting your TBS Eric? If so, then you know they're healthy, and it would be okay to put them back in the main tank. But how many are there? You don't want to overload it all at once. If it's only a couple, then no problem.
Also, just be aware that you want to get them out again when you get part 2 in case you have a cycle. Would you be able to get them out easily enough with the rock you currently have in there? I don't know what type fish you have, and if you want to stress them again with a move or not.
You also never know when you'll get the part 2. It could be this week, or it could be a month. That's what stinks...the not knowing.
Old 06/11/2005, 11:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nirol
Wow! Great pics, Danielle! What kind of crab is that? I think I saw one like that for the first time tonight (3.5 weeks into part one!) Do you have a pic of him from the top down (I know thats asking for alot!)
Sorry I don't, they like to hide in the crevices in the rock or on the sides of the rock towards the back of the tank so all I ever see is the side view. Pretty fun to watch though. They move their little fans around to filter feed and it looks like they're doing a form of karate!