Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/09/2007, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Frag Swap Pre-sell?

Is there a thread going yet regarding pre-sell?
Old 12/09/2007, 02:37 PM
#-_#-_ B _-#_-#

Not that I know of...

"I want to be like captain kirk
get up every day and love to go to work
don't want to be like mr. spock
want to kick out the jams and rock the block"

-Bob Schneider
Old 12/09/2007, 03:35 PM
Premium Member

I hope there won't be.
Old 12/09/2007, 04:09 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

I do too, to be honest. Kind of takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Brandon
Old 12/09/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

im sure there will be a few pre-swaps sales....as much fun as it would be to show up and see whats there......there's gonna be some people who would like to know how many frags to make to save themselves from having extras left....if not a pre-sale, atleast a heads up on what they'll be bringing
Old 12/09/2007, 08:05 PM
Lazy Reefer!!!

I for one will do some pre listing of what I am bringing. For some select items, I will presell, but most likely just bring what I have tons of.

But I wont do mine for at least 3 weeks.
Old 12/09/2007, 10:40 PM
Beer King

Quote:
Originally posted by Siffy
I hope there won't be.
Why not? It should give you ample time to check where purchases were made so you can report them to the proper authorities if you see fit!
Old 12/09/2007, 10:45 PM
Premium Member

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. Glad you reminded me.
Old 12/09/2007, 10:49 PM
Keeping It Real

More than likely everything I bring will be pre-sold or traded... Though I'm sure I'll find more there to buy...

Its not a hobby... Its a way of life...
Old 12/09/2007, 10:58 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ct_vol
More than likely everything I bring will be pre-sold or traded... Though I'm sure I'll find more there to buy...
Not if everyone else does the same.

I'm sure there will be plenty, though. I'm really excited!

Brandon
Old 12/11/2007, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

If I come, it will be presales only for the LE, with some others which are more common or not LE not pre-sold. I'm not chopping a nice pink lemonade colony if no one wants the frag, for instance. Trades are always a consideration too, but it helps to know what others have.
Old 12/11/2007, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

I hope you do come, Dave! I plan on putting up some pics of what I will be bringing to the swap. Probably in another week or two.
Old 12/11/2007, 09:43 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by cee
If I come, it will be presales only for the LE, with some others which are more common or not LE not pre-sold. I'm not chopping a nice pink lemonade colony if no one wants the frag, for instance. Trades are always a consideration too, but it helps to know what others have.
That makes perfect sense.

Hope to see you there!

Brandon
Old 12/11/2007, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

I typically do some pre sales, too, but as anyone who has seen what I bring can attest, I bring a lot more. LE's and high end trades are almost always going to be pre arranged. As Dave stated, no one wants to hack something up to try to share, only to bring it home and have to find a place for it. There is never a shortage of frags. I didn;t get to leave my table last year except for the fragging demonstration and the raffle, so I didn't get to see what everyone had, but I heard there was some nice stuff. I'd expect the same this year.

Dave,

I may want to work something out on a pink lemonade... The only thing tradeworthy might be some Aussie Acans?
Old 12/12/2007, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, I shouldn't have said that. Many reacted like fleas to a hairy dog after I posted that. I can probably offer several 1/2-3/4" frags of the PL from my second colony, but this coral WILL try your patience! I'll try and get some pics up after the holidays.
Old 12/12/2007, 04:45 PM
Hawaiian Sunset

Gflat:

Assuming I am not looking at the Denver Mountains (yet again), I will be there and would be happy to watch your booth (with your instructions) so you have some time to look around.
Just let me know.
Worse case, only a few frags will be un-accounted for.

Rick
Old 12/12/2007, 04:48 PM
Catch and release

I'll be posting what I am bringing in a couple of weeks.....maybe sooner.
Old 12/12/2007, 05:00 PM
Ryan Steagall

Last year I got there about 20 minutes after the swap opened and nearly everyone was sold out of everything desireable. A heads up what people are bringing and maybe even better would be a heads up of what people are looking for a the swap I think would be better for people like me.

To go an event where nearly all the good stuff was already sold or spoken for wouldn't be very fun. Just my opinion. =\
Old 12/12/2007, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

Pretty sure I was a flea. I couldnt help myself
Old 12/13/2007, 06:24 PM
Beer King

Im gonna have some nucleaR green palys & some other higher end zoas.
Old 12/13/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Just info on what we did..

At our Sept swap WTMRAC we had a thread running with pics of what people were bringing.
FYI only........We did not have pre-sales most felt that would not be fair to all others did not want the hassle.
If you were a seller you could look at each other frags just before you allow others in.
Finnally one seller had two for one towards the end, and at the very end he had three for one and went home empty handed!!
Old 12/13/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

i really dont understand the fuss about having a pre-sale.....personally, i think there are only benefits that come from it

1. sellers wont have to over frag a super nice coral....ive never been to a swap, but this is one thing that i understand from a sellers viewpoint

2. if your a buyer, make sure to pre-buy so you dont lose out on that "gottahave" coral...that way you still browse the rest of the time knowing that you have the corals that you wanted

3.well what about the walk-ins/ random people?....well i think we've done well to get in contact with other clubs, so messaging someone to get dibs isnt that hard........the others/walk-ins should be more invovled in a club to know about the pre-sales (a perk for being in any club)

4. for people that will be working for the swap or has a table up....its hard for them to leave to see what others got

5.if it was on a first come first serve basis....all the good stuff will be gone regardless....and that would just mean that the fragswap will be the busiest the first 20 minutes

all in all....i hoping that most sellers will frag enough to cover the prebuyers....and then even more......but folks, you gotta understand, the good stuff will be gone fast regardless if there was a pre-sale or not
Old 12/14/2007, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

Keep me posted, Dave.

Rick-I want to get a frag of those grandis from you. I've been lusting a small colony in a friends tank down here. Jenn looks at me and wrinkles her face. It ain't gotta be pretty to be cool...
Old 12/16/2007, 04:15 PM
kz skimmer rocks

are people looking for grandis

i can bring some if they are
Old 12/16/2007, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

Got any pics?