Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/04/2007, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

Sick Clam...nothing to lose...

Ok...my clam was so far gone...I figured I had nothing to lose by doing a FW dip for 30 minutes. I added a dash of Lugol's to the water and put a very, very small powerhead to in to move the water...I left the container in the sump to maintain temp, set the timer and checked on it every 5 minutes.

The clam had a seriously retracted mantle, but it's foot was okay and it was still firmly attached to it's shell. There was no foul odor coming from it, but it was not responsive or if it did respond, it was very sluggish, so I felt I would go down fighting.

After the 30 minute fresh water dip, I returned the clam to the tank...it settled into the sand and upon close inspection, I could see it had extended it's foot into the sandbed and as near as I could tell without disturbing it further, unto the rock set underneath it. After about 2 minutes, I observed the clam had begun to puff large quantities of water thru itself. Strong enough to send the sand behind it flying. It has done this at intervals for the last 90 minutes or so. Upon last check, the gaping mouth has reduced in size by half. The MH's are off, just the actinic PC's for right now. I shall leave it undisturbed until tomorrow morning.

I believe my problem was caused by replacing my almost depleted Phosphate remover with a fresh batch. I have since removed the Phosphate media and replaced it with ultra carbon and a very gentle flow thru the reactor, eliminating any by-pass problem. Only time will tell if it will recover...I can only hope.

Today...after treatment...but before putting it's foot into the sand.

Old 11/04/2007, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

i would remove it already
Old 11/04/2007, 11:05 PM
Premium Member

dude it's done it would take a merical for it to recover

Jack
Old 11/05/2007, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

i would agree, it is gone.

why did you add a "dash of lugols" to the water? i'm not sure how bad the clam was before the dip but the exposure to highly concentrated iodine probably did more harm than good. for a FW dip you should use fresh RO/DI and match tank temp ( like you did ).

i use lugols for coral dips and a source of concentrated I in a large softy system.
Old 11/05/2007, 09:15 AM
RC Sponsor

unfortunately its gone...clams don't usually recover from that stage.
Old 11/05/2007, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

Well, I don't have time for pics, but it has made the night and the mantle has extended just to the inside of the shell. It still has color and is occasionally puffing water thru itself.
atwenty...I made 2 gallons of RO/DI water and added one drop of Lugol's to that...I then remove 2 quarts of water and that was what the clam was in...set into the sump to maintain temp and let it sit for 30 minutes.
I am as surprised as anyone that it was still alive this morning....so far so good...it may still die but at least it appears to be trying, so I'll let it go...I'm home all day to check on it so that if it does die, I can get it out of the tank right away. Keep your fingers crossed....
Old 11/05/2007, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

RIP dear Crocea, we hardly knew ye.

A mantle that is retracted that far means no return as far as I am concerned. The abductor muscle no longer functions.
Old 11/05/2007, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

It closed on it's own tonight after the MH lighting went off...one tough clam....
Old 11/05/2007, 08:42 PM
Keeper of the clams!!!

I hope your clam proves everyone wrong and pulls through. Keep us posted.

That should fix it everything right???
Old 11/06/2007, 08:48 PM
Premium Member

Tough little bugger is still hanging on and looking better everyday... mantle almost completely extended today....will take a pick tomorrow with lights on and show you how it's doing....
Old 11/06/2007, 10:34 PM
Premium Member

awesome... good to hear..!!!! can't wait to see the new pics...
Old 11/07/2007, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

Couldn't believe my eyes when I checked on the clam this morning after the lights came on....

I am going to name it: DONNA SUMMERS...cause it's a survivor!!

Old 11/07/2007, 02:05 PM
Team RC Member

congrats, you are very lucky. they never (cant say that anymore) recover when they recede into the shell like that

------------------------------------------------
Old 11/07/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

its difficult to believe that is the same clam. good for you for not giving up till the very end!
Old 11/07/2007, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

thats awesome..!!!! what exactly does the freshwater dip do..?? and what did you add to the FW..?? My Derasa is not looking good since I moved it... I'm kind of scared I'm going to loose it... and its been over a year since I've had it...
Old 11/07/2007, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

Look at mine again...it wasn't just looking bad...it was looking a half of tic from dead...I had nothing to lose...I'm afraid to even touch it now...I'm just going to leave it be, continue with water changes and keep my fingers crossed. Another part of the problem in hindsight (which is alway 20/20) is that I was trying to make sure the clam got enough food by covering it with a plastic soda bottle with the bottom cut out and adding phylofeast to it. I believe I added too much and clogged the clams gills as a result...the fresh water, along with the small powerhead to keep the water circulating may have given it a jump start. Probably why all the puffing by the clam, after it was put back into the tank, just clearing its' gills and getting salt water running back thru it. I would have never taken the chance if I wasn't sure that the clam would hae been dead by the next morning.
Old 11/07/2007, 09:06 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester
thats awesome..!!!! what exactly does the freshwater dip do..?? and what did you add to the FW..?? My Derasa is not looking good since I moved it... I'm kind of scared I'm going to loose it... and its been over a year since I've had it...
if your clam isn't looking so good start a new thread using this guide for info needed. feel free to add more

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1237978

------------------------------------------------
Old 11/07/2007, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

it is a mirical

Jack
Old 11/08/2007, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

How long was it looking as bad as the first pic? If it slowly declined to that state over the course of weeks or more I am amazed it came back. If it got to that state in a couple days then you definately did something to tick it off and now corrected whatever it was.
Old 11/08/2007, 11:57 AM
Frag-a-holic

That is awesome Nina! Congrats.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 11/08/2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

Thats amazing! Good work. Im sure the crocea appreciates you not giving up on it.
Old 11/08/2007, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

Very nice. I'm glad you continued instead of removing it.

I have lost 5 Croceas in the last 7 months and for life of me(or the clams) can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have a Derasa that is growing, slowly though and looks better all the time. I wish I had tried something when mine looked like that.
Old 11/08/2007, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

As I said before...It went down hill very quickly...I think I clogged it's gills with the phylopfeast and had changed out the phosphate remover media and replaced it with fresh. I think this started it's demise and the fresh water, Lugol's and a gentle powerhead to allow it to wash itself out was just what it needed. Of course I immediately removed the phosphate media and replaced it with carbon. It is still doing well today...I am SOOO HAPPY!!!
Old 11/08/2007, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

30 min freshwater dip? thats a long time..
Old 11/09/2007, 12:22 AM
Premium Member

From everything I've read that's the norm for clams...worked for me...