Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2006, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

Organizing Thread to Setup Breeding Registry

The picture below shows a very simple schema of what fields will be available for the breeder to fill out. This is just info on you the person offering the livestgck. Please let me know if you think I missed anything.

Also I am going to model the site after Frags.org. Just a conduit to link breeder and buyer. I may add extra functionality as options arise. After the intial page is setup I may add an option to describe your setup/breeding practices/etc.

Let me know if you think any other fields are needed. There is a one to many relationship between the breeder table and species table. This simply means that one breeder can have multiple species.

Thanks

Scott

Last edited by scott324; 12/17/2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12/17/2006, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Hi Scott, any chance you place a "Country" field and think of expanding it beyond U.S. ? Not a single fish here but hope there will be some.

Anderson.
Old 12/17/2006, 11:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aomont
Hi Scott, any chance you place a "Country" field and think of expanding it beyond U.S. ? Not a single fish here but hope there will be some.

Anderson.
Yes, that would be good. Also if the breeder will/is able to ship ie local sales vs shipping/international

Also no fish to sell here but who know?!
Old 12/17/2006, 11:44 PM
Moved On

For the Breeder Table:

Shipping Policy:
Visit Policy:

For the species table:

Varient (i.e. there are Darwin Ocellaris, also known as Black and Whites, not to mention Snowflakes and Picasso Perculas, as well as Blue-Eyed Clarks, White and Yellow Stripe Maroons etc...)

Matt

Matt
Old 12/17/2006, 11:57 PM
Moved On

BTW, it would be REALLY cool to add a third table to that DB to handle BREEDING REPORTS. I.e., when someone files a posting to sell fish, or to pre-sell livestock in growout, might it also be worthwhile to OPTIONALLY ask them to contribute a breeding/rearing report? That could help build a resource side to this site, making it more valuable, attracting new breeders (new to the site, or new in general), and in general promote open exchange of information (which in the end benefits us all).

Matt
Old 12/18/2006, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Matt,

I am planning on adding a reports section similar to the breeders registry after things get off the ground.

All the other fields will be added as well.

Anything else needed?
Old 12/18/2006, 10:12 PM
Moved On

age,size, and date born are unimportant apart. LFS wants estimated date available/sale, size is always changing, and think we'll only care bout DOB.

also should have: company name, order by time for next day arrival & Shipper, and method of payment including trades.
Old 12/19/2006, 01:06 AM
Moved On

Mimic, I think DOB might be important for tracking multiple batches. Shops certainly want to know what SIZE fish they're ordering...1" clowns shouldn't cost the same as 2" clowns.

Age can simply be calculated from the DOB...so in theory we don't need to input that, but it can be displayed.

Company Name, order by time all good. Payment Details - RIGHT ON.

Another new one - WHOLESALE/RETAIL - i.e. will a breeder sell only wholesale, or will he sell retail, or both.