Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2006, 12:03 AM
Moved On

OT: Finger Nail Clipping in my drink @ red lobster

Ok, so I went to red lobster today with my friend, it was her couins birthday, so his wife surpized him by getting everyone together at red lobster, a party of 10.

Service was reallllllllllly slow we were there for 3 hours. Finally we finish eating the waitress wraps up everyones food, and she forgot that we had a cake for my friends cousin, so we had to wait for that, and then we get our bills, and I sip my sprite and I feel something in my mouth, I take it out and it was a CHEWED OFF FINGERNAIL with a little bit of nailpolish, or something on it. I immediatly asked for the manager, and he came over and asked what was wrong, I told him and he took the plate w/ the nail on it and said "I'm sorry sir, let me get something for you." I then reply with "excuse me, there was just a finger nail in my drink that I sucked up my straw into my mouth and you are going to go get me something. I am about to go hurl up my food, I'm not paying for my meal!" He then took my check and walks away! I wasn't even done talking to him. We all sat at the table holding our mouths focusing on keeping our food down, waiting for the manager to return. Almost 10 minutes go by and nobody comes back to our table, so we get our stuff and get ready to leave. He took care of my food, nobody elses in my party, and we were all totally disgusted ready to vomit. I then proceeded to go up to the greeter and ask for the manager, and he was a hispanic man that said that he was also a manager, and I then told him the story, and asked for the corporate offices contact info. He replied w/ something I could not understand. My friend saw business cards sitting there and grabbed one. I told him I'd never eat there again and walked out.

I get home and realize I should have kept the finger nail, so I called and said I was coming back for the finger nail and to have it ready. Of course, it was "disposed of" I said to dig it out of the garbage I was coming back for it but "it was disposed of sorry" so I said I was contacting my lawyer and hung up. Shortly after I called back and said I needed a written statement from him of what happened, and of course, he said no. He then proceeded to say that he doesnt even believe that it was a finger nail, and that he didnt want to tell me that, because it would upset me futher, and that I got my meal free and thats all I am getting! So now I'm really angry, and worried about diseases.. ecoli (SP) talk is everywhere, I'm just nervous because I could potentially get ill from this. I called back again and asked the girl on the phone to spell the manager on duties name for me, and she did so I have that and the contact for corporate.

I have family members who are lawyers, and my mother works for a lawyer as well so I am going to check with them what I could do about this.

Just wanted to share.. don't eat there!
Old 12/17/2006, 12:06 AM
Dismembered

Red LObster? I thought everyone knew to stay away from there.
Old 12/17/2006, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

Good. I barely eat out. Especially when the health dept asks a taco bell to shut down pending their investigation. The taco bell remains open ( voluntary request from health dept.) There's a line of people waiting for food. The news reporter asks a patron walking in if he knew about the potential of e-coli from taco bell and that they were asked to close by health dept. They patron Was like " Whaaaat?". That just proves how much these people care. One statement from taco bell was. "the best we can do is cook it, serve it and get rid of it as fast as possible." I understand you can't live in a shell. But please everyone. DO as this guy does. Give em hell for it. It's not right.

GL.
Old 12/17/2006, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

step one: sue
step two: win lots of money
step three: tank upgrade
step four: never go to red lobster again, silly!

Mostly LPS reef (lords, micros, duncans, etc.) with some ricordia florida and zoanthids.
Old 12/17/2006, 12:26 AM
Pufferkrazy!

saltycreefer, Dead Kennedys, cool! Jello & I shared a 2 for 1 pairs of cool sunglasses about 25 years ago. He bought 1 pair & I bought the other.

PITW, Sorry about the disgusting fingernail. Service is terrible at a lot of places. I do think getting a free meal & never going there again (& passing that info on to us) is good enough. Don't let things like this take too much space out of your life. Life's too short to be angry all that time. You're not going to get sick from a fingernail you didn't eat.
Old 12/17/2006, 12:35 AM
OT JUGgler

Wow-what happened to you is really gross but do not worry about E Coli. E Coli is a bacteria that is part of the normal flora that lives in the bowel. Sometimes it goes awry but I doubt you will get ill from it because of tonights disaster. There is a bigger worry with contaminated water that is used to water growing veggies. People become ill when the veggies are eaten raw (ie recently the spinach outbreak and the lettuce outbreak at taco bell) In regards to a law suit, unfortunately you have no proof. It will be a he said/she said situation. You might want to call the Illinois Department of Public Health if you want the restaurant investigated for unsanitary conditions. BTW-I have never eaten at a Red Lobster
Old 12/17/2006, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

The finger nail is all that you noticed....
Image everything else that you ate....
Old 12/17/2006, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theedudenator
The finger nail is all that you noticed....
Image everything else that you ate....

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

Old 12/17/2006, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

I'm going to Red Lobster tommorrow with a party of 10 - the one by the mall. I hope those cheddar/garlic biscuit thingies are nice and hot.
Old 12/17/2006, 02:05 AM
Pufferkrazy!

I used to love those biscuts--couldn't get enough of em--till I fount out they have 25 grams of fat in 1 of them!
Old 12/17/2006, 07:29 AM
Premium Member

not to mention fingernails
Old 12/17/2006, 08:50 AM
OT Hijacker Boob

that's nothing
lunch Saturday at work was chicken wings that had feathers sticking out of the breading
moon and I had to pluck our lunch

you mean these threads have topics?
Old 12/17/2006, 10:13 AM
CMAS Member!

How can you say you can't get e-coli from a fingernail. yes it comes from the bowels, but what if this figernail polish girl picks her butt?
Old 12/17/2006, 10:21 AM
OT JUGgler

then you can get e coli! i can think of alot of other activities that will subject your mouth to e coli
Old 12/17/2006, 10:35 AM
OT Hijacker Boob

ok
so we are now saying this is some womans nail, who's refered to as the fingernail polish girl. Possibly a manicurist by day, moonlighting at the prestiges Red Lobster at night.
Who apparently has a mental illness as evident by her compulsion to chew her nails. (vile addiction)
and she apparently picks or diggs in her what?

or could it simple be
someone washed thier hands and was busy scooping ice from some ice bin, hands got cold, a little less sensitive now to chipping thier nail, working as hard as possible to please the holiday masses of poor tipping patrons when
snap, the evil nail landed in the glass to be filled by a non alcoholic drink to be given to a soon to be irate ex-costomer

if it had been a dirty martini the vodka would have killed the potential evil bacteria

I guess we all learned to protect ourselves by indulging in booze

Old 12/17/2006, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

LOL!
Old 12/17/2006, 11:49 AM
OT JUGgler

This is a quote from the national institute of allergy and infectious disease:

CAUSE
While there are many types of E. coli bacteria, only certain types cause foodborne illness. Hundreds of harmless strains of E. coli can be found widely in nature, including the intestinal tracts of humans and other warm-blooded animals. Disease-causing strains, however, are a frequent cause of both intestinal and urinary-genital tract infections.
In 1982, scientists identified the first dangerous foodborne strain in the United States. The type of harmful foodborne E. coli most commonly found in this country is called O157:H7, which refers to chemical compounds found on the bacterium's surface. Cattle are the main sources of E. coli O157:H7, but these bacteria can be found in other domestic and wild mammals.

Several different strains of harmful E. coli can cause diarrheal disease.

Particularly dangerous types E. coli, such as E. coli O157:H7, produce one or more Shiga toxins that can severely damage the lining of your intestines and kidneys. These types of strains are called Shiga toxin-producing E. coli (STEC). STEC often causes bloody diarrhea and can lead to kidney failure in children or people with weakened immune systems.

Enterotoxigenic E. coli (ETEC), which produce a different toxin, can cause diarrhea. These strains typically cause so-called travelers' diarrhea because they commonly contaminate food and water in developing countries.

Enteropathogenic E. coli (EPEC) cause persistent diarrhea (lasting 2 weeks or more) and are more common in developing countries where they can be transmitted to humans through contaminated water or contact with infected animals.
Other types of E. coli, including O26:H11 and O111:H8, also have been found in the United States and can cause disease in people.

TRANSMISSION
E. coli O157:H7 and its toxins have been found in certain foods and liquids.
Undercooked or raw hamburgers
Salami
Alfalfa sprouts
Lettuce
Unpasteurized milk, apple juice, and apple cider
Contaminated well water
Other ways you can get infected with E. coli include

Swallowing unchlorinated or underchlorinated water in swimming pools contaminated by human feces
Swimming in sewage-contaminated water
Having direct contact with an infected family member
Having direct contact with infected child in a child care center
SYMPTOMS
E. coli O157:H7 toxin can damage the lining of your intestines and cause other symptoms including
Nausea
Severe abdominal cramps
Watery or very bloody diarrhea
Fatigue
You might develop low-grade fever or vomiting. Symptoms usually begin from 2 to 5 days after you eat contaminated food or drink contaminated liquids and may last for 8 days. You should recover completely from the disease.

DIAGNOSIS
Your health care provider can use lab tests to identify E. coli O157:H7 or Shiga toxin in your stool if you are infected. CDC recommends that any one who suddenly has diarrhea with blood get their stool tested for E. coli O157:H7.
TREATMENT
If you are like most people infected with E. coli O157:H7, you will get better within 5 to 10 days without treatment. Antibiotics are usually not helpful, and health care experts don't recommend taking antidiarrheal medicines.
PREVENTION
Wash your hands thoroughly after going to the bathroom or changing diapers.
Eat only thoroughly cooked ground beef.
Cook ground beef products to an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
Avoid unpasteurized milk and juices.
Wash fresh fruits and vegetables thoroughly before eating raw or cooked.
Keep raw meat separate from ready-to-eat foods.
Old 12/17/2006, 11:51 AM
OT Hijacker Boob

surely their research is flawed.
how could their be no mention of fingernails?

Old 12/17/2006, 12:06 PM
Moved On

I'm still disgusted, I ended up hurling last night.. I couldn't hold it in anymore, my stomach was in a knot all evening.. TMI I know sorry!

Anyway, it was the Red Lobster in Bloomingdale by the way. I'm contacting corporate office on monday, and again still waiting to hear what my rights are.

Just an update for ya'll.. even though, most are making light of the situation.
Old 12/17/2006, 12:13 PM
OT Hijacker Boob

sorry
improper use of the enter buttom

Old 12/17/2006, 12:17 PM
OT Hijacker Boob

Quote:
Originally posted by paininthewrasse
I'm still disgusted, I ended up hurling last night.. I couldn't hold it in anymore, my stomach was in a knot all evening..

still waiting to hear what my rights are.

the hurling probably not e. coli

you have many rights, to post an ot topic thread, to get involved in a lawsuit, to expect a fingernail free beverage

it's just fun to make light of most situations

Old 12/17/2006, 12:26 PM
OT JUGgler

Quote:
I'm still disgusted, I ended up hurling last night.. I couldn't hold it in anymore, my stomach was in a knot all evening.. TMI I know sorry!

Anyway, it was the Red Lobster in Bloomingdale by the way. I'm contacting corporate office on monday, and again still waiting to hear what my rights are.

Sorry about the hurling. Is this the first time you found a "foreign object" in your food? If so, consider yourself lucky. Imagine what you are swallowing when you are eating a hot dog! LOL.

Anyway, post your rights after talking to corporate. Just curious how Red Lobster will follow through with your complaint.
Old 12/17/2006, 06:07 PM
Moved On

I expect a refund for the entire party of ten, and I'd also like the manager to get written up for handeling it wrong, and giving me attitude.
Old 12/17/2006, 06:20 PM
Moved On

KarenL I understand making light of the situation is all in good fun, but I am just really angry about it all. I've had hair in my food, but the thought of a chewed off finger nail in my drink is just so nasty to me, so dirty and sick.. not to mention the fact that I drank the whole thing, it was practically in my last sip.

sick, I cant wait to see what corporate says. My family owns a restuarant, and I work in the corporate office of a local restaurant chain, and I know that in both places the entire bill will be on the house, and then some.
Old 12/17/2006, 06:55 PM
OT JUGgler

Quote:
I am just really angry about it all. I've had hair in my food, but the thought of a chewed off finger nail in my drink is just so nasty to me, so dirty and sick.. not to mention the fact that I drank the whole thing, it was practically in my last sip.

Well I guess you can look on the bright side. At least you did not eat from the salad bar at Wheaton North High School, where some kid ejaculated into the salad dressing bottle.