Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2006, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Water parameters OK?

I purchased a xenia frag a couple weeks ago and it wasn't looking good. So, I did some research and heard that xenias seem to do well in the higher ph range.

I then tested my water this weekend and took a sample to the LFS to get tested as well. They confirmed that both ph and alk were low atleast I thought. So, I purchased seabuffer a ph and alk buffer.

Prior to adding some ph buffer these were the test results...

ph: 7.9-8.0
alk: 3.5
calcium: 500

After adding some ph buffer these were the results...

ph: 8.1-8.2
alk: 4.5
calcium: ? (not sure I do not have a calcium test kit yet)

Now, my ph has raised to an optimal range but the alk has been raised drastically. So, I did some more research and now I am worried. Is my alk too high and should I do anything or just leave it be. All the livestock in the tank is doing well and the xenias are pumping more as well.

Thanks,
John C.
Old 12/05/2006, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

try to find out what your calcium is at... if it is lower now that the alk buffer has been added, you can try adding a little more calcium than alkalinity when dosing 2-part. Calcium and alkalinity have the tendency to balance eachother, so adding more calcium should lower you alk... just make sure you test your calcium before trying this
Old 12/05/2006, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

I will have to get a calcium test kit first. I've been meaning to get one but now I have some motivation. Anyway, you wouldn't say its in the critical range, right?

Thanks,
John C
Old 12/05/2006, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Well, it is a bit high... I'm not too sure how critical it is, but it shouldn't be too bad as long as you can take care of it pretty quickly... it really should be at or below 4.0 meq/L.
Old 12/06/2006, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

I bought the calcium test kit and tested the water again. I am using seachem tests for all except for calcium which is salifert.

ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0
ph - 8.1-8.2
alk - 4.5-5.0 meq/l (I ran this test 3 times and got 5.0 twice and 4.5 once)
calcium - 370-380 ppm

Should I just do a water change this weekend or dose calcium or kalkwasser?

Thanks,
John C.
Old 12/06/2006, 09:02 PM
reef obsessed

Looks much better. Just let the alk come down on its own with time (no dosing). You can use some turbo calcium now to gently raise the calcium to 400, but you are really close.

Here's some nice reads on the subject.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=102605
Old 12/06/2006, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Calcium is a little low but not enough to go adding. I good water change will bring it to normal 15 to 20 % with 10 % weekly to keep it up. Lps's and sps's depend more on calcium then softies. Are you useing tap water ?
Old 12/06/2006, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

No worries on your current parameters. If you are do a water change soon do that and then after rechecking parameters add the calcium. No sense adding it and then doing the water change and removing part of your "dose".

TIP: Never add any "PH" Buffers/Uppers/Downers based on your PH reading. These products for the most part should be called ALK Uppers/Downers since that is really what they change. For the most part your PH will follow your ALK.

If your ALK/KH is on the high side but your PH is on the lower side 99% of the time it's because you have an abundant supply of CO2. If this is the case then you can drip limewater/kalk to replace evaporated water. Rember to test Alk/KH and Calcium and only drip enough to stay in safe ranges. The Kalk will help raise your PH.
Old 12/06/2006, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info I currently top off with RO water and just started doing water changes maybe once a month. Also, I will be doing a water change this weekend about 10% ( I currently do not have larger containers to do more)

Then I will keep a close eye on both ALK / Calcium. I'm really glad I tested with a small dose instead of following the directions. I had no idea alk would raise so quickly.

Thanks,
John C.