Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/02/2006, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

Submersible pump for Basement sump?

I am considering moving my sump to the basement and am trying to navigate through all the potential pump options. Are there any submersible pumps that would be good in this application? Probably looking at about 14 foot of head.
Old 12/03/2006, 01:35 AM
Premium Member

Supreme Mag-Drive 36, split into 2 or 3 returns into display tank.
Old 12/03/2006, 05:56 AM
Grampa Extroardinaire

IMPHO there are better options than a MAG for a basement return pump. I ran a Mag 24 for a short period of time as a return pump for my basement sump - it ran hot, it's not pressure rated and consumed mass quantities of electricity.

cabenin - Are you set on an internal pump? Since you are considering a basement sump, I would look at an external return pump, something like a PanWorld 50 or 100 or so. They run quiet, strong, add minimal heat and don't spin your electric meter as fast.

HTH

David

Too old for women to care
Old 12/03/2006, 06:06 AM
Dismembered

Dont cheap out on a panworld. Ive seen 3 of them burn out. Get an Iwaki.
Old 12/03/2006, 08:27 AM
Generic Member

I recently set up my basement sump. Internal pumps are not good for high head apps. I went with a Gen-X Mak4. very reasonably priced, a bit on the noisy side, but I don't care since it is in the basement.
Old 12/03/2006, 09:09 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for all the responses, no I am not fixed on a submersible just trying to figure out the options. On this piece of equipment price is not an issue. I figure it is going to run 24/7 for a long time and do not mind spending the money to get the best. Just cannot figure out what the best is...

It seems that a lot of people use the external pump to also run the skimmer so perhaps I will over size and run the skimmer of the pump also.
Old 12/03/2006, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

I run two submersible pumps in the basement on a 90 gal. mixed reef with 30 gal refugium and 40 gal sump at 1/3 capacity(basement.) A mag12 and a mag 18. The 12 is connected to a 24 volt marine battery sys. which will run the pump for a couple hours in the event of power failure. This sys. has been working fine for over a year. However... to do it over again, I would run an external pump. If you do go with a submersible mag - be sure to use large enough pvc to the tank so as not to restrict flow.