Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/23/2006, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

Talking Beautiful, Mean and Expensive - Fish NOT Girl

I just visited a few local fish stores and bought home a few fish. I think they are a bit over priced, but I just couldn't leave the store without them. They are kinda shy at the moment and the only way to lure them out from hiding is to turn off all lights. I had to put on my Owl Night vision binocular to see where they are, then snap a few pics with flash on. So their colors didn't look right with flash on. Comments welcome

Blue line trigger 7 inches $179 plus tax. its blue lines didn't show up in pic with flash. Not sure why it is so expensive compare to other trigger fish? Eat like a pig even in a new environment. Lookk at her belly, it wasn't there when I first got it.

Imperator Angel 6 inches $125 plus tax. Blue color starts changing into yellow at the top. Quite a beauty in person. Flash took away his blue/yellow.

Red Sea Regal Angel 7" $175 plus tax. This guy is extremely shy. Just wouldn't come out of his new hiding place.

Moorish Idol Trio 4 to 5 inches - 3 for $125 plus tax. Very interesting looking fish.

I heard Regal angel and Moorish Idol are very hard to keep. If you have experience keeping them in captivity, please let me know how you do it. I am not sure what type of food these guys like to eat. I have Ocean Nutrition formula two (dry and frozen), frozen Mysis shrymp, Spirulina flake, frozen mussels, seaweed algae. But they are not eating at the moment
Old 11/23/2006, 12:41 AM
Pufferkrazy!

Where'd you buy these guys at? What size tank are they in? That's quite a bioload to be adding all at once.
Old 11/23/2006, 12:49 AM
Premium Member

Hello
Kimha, please tell me the trigger is in an aquarium by himself!!!
The Morish Idols should have been left at the LFS!
Old 11/23/2006, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

I got them from 4 different places. Park Ridge, Skokie, Downers Grove and Arlington Heights. They are in my new 300g tank with total water volume of 300+40refugium + 30g sump = 370g. Most of the water came from existing established tanks with 500lbs of LiveRock and 400lbs of livesand. I hope the bioload wouldn't be a problem as it look quite empty with these fish in it.
Old 11/23/2006, 12:57 AM
Moved On

It is ALOT to add alllllll at once.. everything should be done slowly in this hobby.

The moorish idols will not last in captivity, and that trigger is goign to end up beating everyone up..
Old 11/23/2006, 12:58 AM
Moved On

Were the moorish idols $125 ea or 125 for all 3?
Old 11/23/2006, 12:59 AM
Pufferkrazy!

Bubba the 2nd!
Old 11/23/2006, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Douglas LEHMAN
Hello
Kimha, please tell me the trigger is in an aquarium by himself!!!
The Morish Idols should have been left at the LFS!
the trigger is in the 300g with the rest of angel fishes at the moment. I remember your advice on the undulated trigger, and will put the trigger in a separate tank as soon as I can catch him. He is quite slow at the moment to cause any damage I think. I purposely fed him lots of food to buy some time.

About the Moorish Idol, I saw them in the LFS for over 2 weeks before I bought them. I was thinking if the LFS can keep them alive, why couldn't I? right now they are in the 40g refugium with lots of plants, sponge, Chaeto. I hope they will eat and stay alive.
Old 11/23/2006, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paininthewrasse
Were the moorish idols $125 ea or 125 for all 3?

$125 for all 3. They were listed as $49 ea.
Old 11/23/2006, 01:05 AM
Premium Member

Hello
Unfortunately it will take longer than two weeks for them to starve to death. I would see about returning them!
Old 11/23/2006, 01:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
Bubba the 2nd!
Who has Bubba the 1st?
Old 11/23/2006, 01:21 AM
Pufferkrazy!

Doug--meanest fish I've ever seen--lives alone! I'd do more research into the fish you're buying.
Old 11/23/2006, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

Here's a great link for the Regal Angel. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=758598

Good luck.
Old 11/23/2006, 02:01 AM
Premium Member

Beautiful, Mean and Expensive --you got that right. Good luck--hope they all adapt. Have to say that they are 3 fish I would love to have. Let us know how they settle in. Good luck.
Old 11/23/2006, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

wow, nice fish good luck
Old 11/23/2006, 02:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
Doug--meanest fish I've ever seen--lives alone! I'd do more research into the fish you're buying.
I second that motion! I saw Bubba eat a long spined urchin and it didnt take him long to devour it!

BTW becareful putting your hand in the tank you could lose a finger or two
Old 11/23/2006, 08:23 AM
RC Admin

Moorish Idols has the single most dismal record of survival in this hobby. We simply do not know what they eat and they end up starving. I've tried to keep them twice and lost them both times. You should see if they can be returned. On the other hand, the handful of success stories I've read about them more commonly includes them being kept in multiples.

But the trigger...mean, mean, mean and will harass the incredibly peaceful Idols.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 11/23/2006, 08:39 AM
Premium Member

I am just repeating what has already been said that trigger should be kept on its own not in a community tank.

you should try to take it back where you got it from or sell it even for less than you paid for it.

Old 11/23/2006, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

That Emperor is going to be a beautiful fish when his colors finish changing. Ive always wanted one. Hey how about a couple full tank shots? Good luck.
Old 11/23/2006, 09:52 AM
A.K.A. colinadam

Moorish Idol thread

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=607477
Old 11/23/2006, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

kimha... you have a nice large tank and if you had a smaller one i would be inclined to aree with the posts on the regal and mordish idols... do you know where the idols came from...?

the ones from hawaii do much better and acclimated better... are any fish stressing the idols??

try getting some live brine.... some artic pods by reef nutrituion.. and one thing that worked for me with the idols was tetra pellets.. they float mid water and were great to get them eating...

other thing that has worked well with idols is to get some clams or oysters and open up thehalf shell and put in tank... in other words let them eat off the half shell on the bottom of the tank...

as for you regal they take time and need a very peacefull tank... if your live rock is covered with goodiies growing he will have a better chance... bottom line ... these fish are for advaced hobbyist but not impossible... you need togive them a lot of attention....in time the regal might become a great eater.. mine did...

good luck....
Old 11/23/2006, 11:29 AM
Pufferkrazy!

I think it is irresponsible to buy fish you know nothing about. These are all wild-caught fish from our already depleted/dying oceans. Please tell us your plans for them.
Old 11/23/2006, 01:50 PM
aka Knucklehead

Puffer, that's a little aggressive, please try to tone it down!

Kimha, as you can tell, we are all fairly protective of our wildlife, but we do wish you success with these beautiful creatures!

While I'm hoping that it all turns out great, I suspect you'll be in for a little trouble with the specimens chosen. I've done similar things on the spur of the moment and have regretted it......

As suggested, it might be better to fully research each specimen before adding them. Also, certain combinations of fish will likely start WWIII...

Best of luck to you! Let us know how it turns out!

Boyd

Hey, frag that for me, will ya?

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!
Old 11/23/2006, 01:57 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Not aggressive at all, just truthful. You just repeated what I said!
Old 11/23/2006, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicago
kimha... you have a nice large tank and if you had a smaller one i would be inclined to aree with the posts on the regal and mordish idols... do you know where the idols came from...?

the ones from hawaii do much better and acclimated better... are any fish stressing the idols??

try getting some live brine.... some artic pods by reef nutrituion.. and one thing that worked for me with the idols was tetra pellets.. they float mid water and were great to get them eating...

other thing that has worked well with idols is to get some clams or oysters and open up thehalf shell and put in tank... in other words let them eat off the half shell on the bottom of the tank...

as for you regal they take time and need a very peacefull tank... if your live rock is covered with goodiies growing he will have a better chance... bottom line ... these fish are for advaced hobbyist but not impossible... you need togive them a lot of attention....in time the regal might become a great eater.. mine did...

good luck....
Thank you very much for your very sound advice. I don't know where the Moorish Idol came from, but they are doing quite well so far. My refugium plants has some sponge attached to them and the Idols are eating the sponge. I have another small butterfly in there, but they are getting along quite well. None of them look stress at all. When it comes to taking care of my fish, I spare NO expense .

Where can I buy live brine and pods?

As for the Regal, he is in a 90g with a 4" fox face, 3" maroon gold stripe clown, and a 4" Imperator. Since the Regal is 7", all fish get out of his way, so he is the new boss. They are quite peaceful together.

What food does Regal angel likes best? What do you feed yours with?

I do have a contigency plan for the blueline trigger - A 135g tank awaits him if he becomes a trouble maker.

So far he is quite peaceful in the 300g tank. I have a 2" blue damsel, 4" Red Sea sailfin tang, and an 6" imperator in there. I have been keeping a close eye on him and he shows no agression toward other fish. I saw the sailfin and imperator swam right next to him, and he didn't show any aggression. Once a while the imperator charge at him and not the other way around. Here is a pic of them right next to each other.

If you know where I can get some live food locally, please let me know. Since the Idols are eating sponge now, I really want to get some more. Just don't know who sells them.

I also want to thank you everyone for your inputs and feedbacks. I did a little bit of reading on these fish before I purchased them. Not a lot just a little bit .